Target Lock then Focus?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

This came up in a tourney this past weekend at my store. We're all fairly inexperienced with the game and weren't 100% sure what to do. 

1. X-Wing player's turn. 
  2. X-Wing performs Focus action. X-Wing has pre-existing Target Lock on TIE Advanced from several turns ago.
  3. X-Wing shoots at (Target Locked) TIE Advanced at range 1 using primary weapon. Rolls badly with initial roll to hit; 3 misses and 1 hit (can't remember if the misses were blanks or eyeballs).
  4. Burns pre-existing Target Lock. Picks up all dice except the one showing a hit.
  5. Re-rolls the three misses.
  6. Still rolls badly, but now has a couple of eyeballs showing on these rolls.

Can he now choose to Focus and turn those eyeballs into hits on the re-rolled dice or should we have made note of his initial roll for Focus purposes or something? Seems legit from the way we read the rules, but seems almost too good to be true.

The guy using it didn't exploit; he was a brand-new first-timer. After the fact though, it definitely made me raise an eyebrow since Target Lock's verbiage reads that you can re-roll any attack dice you want (as opposed to MUST re-roll any misses), you could make your initial roll, keep hits, crits, and eyeballs, burn the Target Lock, hopefully get more hits, crits, and eyeballs, then burn your Focus token to turn any of those eyeballs into hits.

Seems like a pretty nasty tactic if it's legit! 

#2 Cid_MCDP

Cid_MCDP

• Members
  • 217 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

My bad. Should have used search function. 

Sorry!

#3 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

Short answer, which you probably figured out (though how you did it with the broken search function on this forum, I don't know): yes.

Be seeing you.

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:43 AM

I don't think anyone will blame you for not using the search function here, don't worry about it  

#5 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

This is a perfectly good strategy and almost ensures that your X-Wings will be able to take down a TIE Fighter every round. Against swarms it's almost necessary to take down a ship (or two) every turn, so being able to easily get Focus and Target Lock at the same time has huge payoffs.

#6 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

Alamoth said:

This is a perfectly good strategy and almost ensures that your X-Wings will be able to take down a TIE Fighter every round. Against swarms it's almost necessary to take down a ship (or two) every turn, so being able to easily get Focus and Target Lock at the same time has huge payoffs.

I wouldn't go quite that far. Even at Range 1, if the TIE also has Focus, then a single X-wing with Target Lock and Focus has about one chance in eight to take out a TIE in a single attack. (Evade makes the situation worse.)

It's still worth doing, of course. It will almost certainly do 1-2 damage, and likely also strips the TIE's defensive action, making it an easy setup for any other Rebel ship that happens to be nearby. But you shouldn't count on Target Lock + Focus for a kill unless the TIE is already damaged.

#7 Alamoth

Alamoth

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:37 AM

Vorpal Sword said:

I wouldn't go quite that far. Even at Range 1, if the TIE also has Focus, then a single X-wing with Target Lock and Focus has about one chance in eight to take out a TIE in a single attack. (Evade makes the situation worse.)

It's still worth doing, of course. It will almost certainly do 1-2 damage, and likely also strips the TIE's defensive action, making it an easy setup for any other Rebel ship that happens to be nearby. But you shouldn't count on Target Lock + Focus for a kill unless the TIE is already damaged.

How much do these odds improve if you are using Wedge and benefit from his ability to reduce the target's Agility by 1?

#8 Vorpal Sword

Vorpal Sword

O frabjous day!

• Members
  • 2,759 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:41 PM

Alamoth said:

Vorpal Sword said:

How much do these odds improve if you are using Wedge and benefit from his ability to reduce the target's Agility by 1?

Assuming my simulations are running correctly, Wedge at Range 1 with Target Lock and Focus has about one chance in three (35.1%) to score an outright kill on a previously undamaged TIE with Focus.

#9 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:28 AM

OMG this is bad ass!!  I missed this part completely on the rules….I should have read better. This is a game changer for me. So for clarification sake for a less experienced player as myself.   So for example I got a target lock on a TIE fighter  and I make my attack roll….so im rolling 3 attack dice and only one dice hits……I can then burn the target lock and take the two failed dice rolls and re- roll the two dice that failed and then with the new results of the two dice i get eyballs now if i have a focus token on my x-wing i can then burn the focus token to turn the two eyeballs into hits?  If this is so, I know exactly what i'm going to run in the tournament.

#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,411 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:33 AM

Grave13 said:

OMG this is bad ass!!  I missed this part completely on the rules….I should have read better. This is a game changer for me. So for clarification sake for a less experienced player as myself.   So for example I got a target lock on a TIE fighter  and I make my attack roll….so im rolling 3 attack dice and only one dice hits……I can then burn the target lock and take the two failed dice rolls and re- roll the two dice that failed and then with the new results of the two dice i get eyballs now if i have a focus token on my x-wing i can then burn the focus token to turn the two eyeballs into hits?  If this is so, I know exactly what i'm going to run in the tournament.

That is correct.

#11 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

SWEET!  thanks :)

#12 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 06:35 AM

WHY this is correct is found on page 11 in the rulebook, under "Step 3. Modify Attack Dice". It's further clarified on page 12 under "Modifying Dice Results". Target Lock allows you to reroll a die, which can only be rerolled once. Focus allows you to change the result of the die without rerolling it. So as others have said, yes, it is legal to do both on one attack.

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS