• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Riuka

Riuka

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:30 AM

Hello everyone!

I just read the rules of the game and I am considering wether I am going to buy it or not. I may be wrong because I read the rules in sort of a rush but the game mechanics just seemed really difficult to me. Could you guys give me your opinions about the overall game mechanics? Do you think it is going to be an agile, balanced and challenging game?

Moreover, I would apreciate if you could explain the deck building system of the game because I just did not understand it at all. Is the any relation between the 10 objective deck you decide to build and the other deck?

Thank you so much in advance!

#2 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:53 AM

It took me only a couple of turns to figure it out playing the demo at GenCon (how to play, that is, not the strategy). The game play was very tactical and I had a blast playing. Looking forward to release day to get some more games in. (Full disclosure: I have played several different CCG-type games, so I may have picked up the rules faster than someone without any experience).

As far as deck building goes: each objective is associated with 5 other cards. Your command deck is composed of the cards associated with your objectives. For instance, if you have a 10 card objective deck, you will use the 50 associated cards for your command deck.

#3 Riuka

Riuka

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:06 AM

Right, I see. So the objective cards you decide to include in your objective deck will automatically determine your command deck?

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

That is one way to describe it. Another way to look at it is that you build the decks in 6 card sets instead of at the individual card level. But yes, your command deck must be the cards that match your objective deck and vice versa.

#5 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:34 AM

So each of these "Sets" is themed, both for flavor and for mechanics.    Maybe one of these sets is a "Storm Trooper Rush" theme,  The objective might have some sort of boon to aggressive playing, while the 5 cards associated with that set all involve low cost storm troopers and event cards that capitalize on a card for card trade… your disposable troopers for their more costly heroes and utility characters.  (That is just a hypothetical).  Some sets will feature resource generation, while others might feature a character:  Vader, his lightsaber, force choak, etc.  So though you only make 10 decisions on your deck, each decision will have a larger impact on your overall deck (1/10 of the total rather than 1/60 in a game like Magic).  

This opens up one major complaint:  "why should I take these three crappy cards if I only want these two awesome ones?"

The the solution to that situation is that this is a fast game with a lot of card draw, and a lot of cards being thrown down.

At the beginning of your turn, you draw back up to a hand of 6, regardless of how many cards you have left over at the end of your opponent's turn.  This means that you dig your deck faster than you may be used to, so finding that one copy of Darth Vader isn't as bad as you might think.  But what do you do with all these excess cards?  The battles at this game happen at objectives (the same 10 you chose when you built your deck).  Before each combat, there is a silent auction to see who gets to go first (aka Edge).  Winning the "Edge" not only gives you the first swing in the fight, but also lets your cards use the best of their abilities.  The combat icons come in either black or white.  Black icons are always on.  White icons are only on if you won the Edge Battle.  Draw 6 cards a turn, play 2 of them.  Use the others to bid on these Edge battles to give you the leg up on your opponent.

Draw to a hand of 6 cards, attack your opponent's objectives, bid for Edge, duke it out, and then lather, rinse, repeat.

#6 Riuka

Riuka

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:03 AM

Thanks a lot for your help guys. This does really sound like an interesting mechanic as well as fun. I will be happy to try the game out as soon as it is released.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS