Jump to content



Photo

How to deal with so many 'shadowed out' enemies?


  • Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Cutievalkyrie

Cutievalkyrie

    Member

  • Members
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:42 AM

 KHAZAD quest 2, the difficulty level is small but this quest is even harder than the 1st one to me… so many enemies in 2b and i dont even have enough defenders.



#2 richsabre

richsabre

    Tea Drinker of the West

  • Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:47 AM

get a less useful character such as bilbo (his ability is great but his stats less so)

put fast hitch or UC on them and burning brand. they can defend multiple enemies with no shadow effects

also for the other ones try staging area killers such as descendant of thorondor and beorning beekeeper. theres alot of goblins in moria but theyre relatively weak. also try gondorian spearman for finishing them off if they already have damage

rich


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#3 jjeagle

jjeagle

    Member

  • Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

 I think most people would agree that the difficulty level is way off beam here, particularly for solo play.


"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."


#4 richsabre

richsabre

    Tea Drinker of the West

  • Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:19 AM

jjeagle said:

 I think most people would agree that the difficulty level is way off beam here, particularly for solo play.

i dont think its too bad, with a deck built specifically for encounter deck manipulation such as risk some light etc, some decent fighters and shadow control

i do prefer the the goblin fight in hobbit quest 2 though….far less frustrating

rich


My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

 


#5 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:39 AM

7th Level is the one quest where I liked Dunhere.


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#6 jjeagle

jjeagle

    Member

  • Members
  • 363 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 08:40 AM

richsabre said:

jjeagle said:

 

 I think most people would agree that the difficulty level is way off beam here, particularly for solo play.

 

 

i dont think its too bad, with a deck built specifically for encounter deck manipulation such as risk some light etc, some decent fighters and shadow control

i do prefer the the goblin fight in hobbit quest 2 though….far less frustrating

rich

richsabre said:

jjeagle said:

 

 I think most people would agree that the difficulty level is way off beam here, particularly for solo play.

 

 

i dont think its too bad, with a deck built specifically for encounter deck manipulation such as risk some light etc, some decent fighters and shadow control

Sure - it's readily beatable, even with quite a limited card pool, I think.

My point is just that DL3 implies it is the easiest of all the scenarios (except Passage through Mirkwood) - this is clearly absurd [for solo, anyway].


"I have no help to send, therefore I must go myself."


#7 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

    Member

  • Members
  • 667 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Cutievalkyrie said:

 KHAZAD quest 2, the difficulty level is small but this quest is even harder than the 1st one to me… so many enemies in 2b and i dont even have enough defenders.

 

1 answer:

Thalin + Gondorian Spearman



#8 gatharion

gatharion

    Member

  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:44 PM

 

With the right combo, Seventh Level can be ridiculously easy in solo play.

The vast majority of enemies only have two hit points, so Thalin plus a Gondorian Spearman (or Fresh Tracks) will let you deal with most of them before having to even take an attack.

Mostly though they really get to be a problem is you're swarmed, which in solo is most likely to be from the Shadow effects. Hasty Stroke, and more importantly Burning Brand, can take care of that.

 

Playing Denethor with Unexpected Courage and Burning Brand makes the quest super simple.

 

Also the Hama + Feint combo could work pretty well too.

 

I've done very well against this quest with Dwarf decks, but if I were to build specifically for it, I'd go with Eowyn, Denethor, and either Hama or Thalin.



#9 Dam

Dam

    Member

  • Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:26 PM

gatharion said:

The vast majority of enemies only have two hit points, so Thalin plus a Gondorian Spearman (or Fresh Tracks) will let you deal with most of them before having to even take an attack.

Thalin + GS doesn't work as well against Shadow Effect added Enemies as Thalin isn't questing anymore at that point, so defending with the GS next turn doesn't kill the Goblin. Dunhere (boost him just one point in attack) can ride at the Enemies even during the Refresh Phase (ideally with UC), meaning they don't contribute threat next turn against questing.


"A dirty mind is its own reward."


#10 gatharion

gatharion

    Member

  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:07 AM

Dam said:

gatharion said:

 

The vast majority of enemies only have two hit points, so Thalin plus a Gondorian Spearman (or Fresh Tracks) will let you deal with most of them before having to even take an attack.

 

 

Thalin + GS doesn't work as well against Shadow Effect added Enemies as Thalin isn't questing anymore at that point, so defending with the GS next turn doesn't kill the Goblin. Dunhere (boost him just one point in attack) can ride at the Enemies even during the Refresh Phase (ideally with UC), meaning they don't contribute threat next turn against questing.

Enemy gets revealed during staging -> gets a wound from Thalin

Enemy engages you and attacks, Gondorian Spearman is declared as defender -> enemy dies from the spearman's ability before attack resolves

Since enemy dies before it can apply its attack, the Shadow Affect is not resolved and thusly there are not any Shadow revealed enemies to even worry about.

 

In multiplayer, this combo becomes much less effective, but if you can get a Spearman out right away in a solo game, you're good to go and only the larger less frequent enemies become a problem.



#11 Glaurung

Glaurung

    Member

  • Members
  • 2,174 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

gatharion said:

Dam said:

 

gatharion said:

 

The vast majority of enemies only have two hit points, so Thalin plus a Gondorian Spearman (or Fresh Tracks) will let you deal with most of them before having to even take an attack.

 

 

Thalin + GS doesn't work as well against Shadow Effect added Enemies as Thalin isn't questing anymore at that point, so defending with the GS next turn doesn't kill the Goblin. Dunhere (boost him just one point in attack) can ride at the Enemies even during the Refresh Phase (ideally with UC), meaning they don't contribute threat next turn against questing.

 

 

Enemy gets revealed during staging -> gets a wound from Thalin

Enemy engages you and attacks, Gondorian Spearman is declared as defender -> enemy dies from the spearman's ability before attack resolves

Since enemy dies before it can apply its attack, the Shadow Affect is not resolved and thusly there are not any Shadow revealed enemies to even worry about.

 

In multiplayer, this combo becomes much less effective, but if you can get a Spearman out right away in a solo game, you're good to go and only the larger less frequent enemies become a problem.

yes this combo is very powerful against this quest. Same like Burning Brand. Also i think BB is too powerful. Play 1 card on the table and all Shadow  mechanic is suck. Too unbalanced in my opinion. BB deserve errata.


Wizard is never late.......

 

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   


#12 gatharion

gatharion

    Member

  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:27 AM

Glaurung said:

 

 

yes this combo is very powerful against this quest. Same like Burning Brand. Also i think BB is too powerful. Play 1 card on the table and all Shadow  mechanic is suck. Too unbalanced in my opinion. BB deserve errata.

Burning Brand is very powerful, but much like its two best candidates, Denethor and Bilbo, it becomes less useful as you add more players.

Denethor w/ Burning Brand and Unexpected Courage can win you almost any quest in solo play, but is just a handy combo in a four person game.



#13 GrandSpleen

GrandSpleen

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 12:22 PM

Glaurung said:

 

Also i think BB is too powerful. Play 1 card on the table and all Shadow  mechanic is suck. Too unbalanced in my opinion. BB deserve errata.

 

 

It is a very strong card in solo play.  But take the big picture -- 4 player games, and BB is more limited.  You can make it stronger with sentinel and character-readying abilities, but it definitely cannot nullify all shadow effects in multiplayer games.

 

edit: Hah, I see I am just echoing gatharion 100%.  That'll teach me to read all replies before adding my own!  And a post-script: I like Bilbo+BB and  Song of Mocking somewhere else on the table.  On Gloin or Gimli, for instance!



#14 CJMatos

CJMatos

    Member

  • Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

 I prefer BB with Boromir, Arwen or some Dunedain Signal and some boost to defense like Dunedain Warning. And some threat reduction, like for instance Elrond's Counsel, The Galadhrim's Greetings or other.

 

That is THE perfect combo for multi-player games. Defend all attacks and no shadow to worry about….

 

It also works in single player, but it is more difficult to lower your threat.


Carlos José Matos


#15 gatharion

gatharion

    Member

  • Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

CJMatos said:

 I prefer BB with Boromir, Arwen or some Dunedain Signal and some boost to defense like Dunedain Warning. And some threat reduction, like for instance Elrond's Counsel, The Galadhrim's Greetings or other.

 

That is THE perfect combo for multi-player games. Defend all attacks and no shadow to worry about….

 

It also works in single player, but it is more difficult to lower your threat.

Burning Brand can only go on a Lore hero. It's great on Boromir, I'm sure, (or Elrohir for that matter), but first you'd need to get Song of Knowledge on them and while that's doable, it requires more building your deck towards that purpose and more having to get the right cards in the right order.



#16 CJMatos

CJMatos

    Member

  • Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:37 AM

 Indeed it needs Song of Wisdom, but if you are playing with multi-players you don't need your deck to be directed to songs and search. You can have one of your fellow players to have it.

 

That is why I said it works better in multi than in solo play….


Carlos José Matos





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS