• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:55 AM

Quick question for those of you lucky enough to score early copies of the game:

When I played the demo at GenCon earlier this year, I found the game really fun but a little unbalanced.  Every game I played in, the dark side completely dominated and the light side was little more than a speed bump (regardless of which side I was playing).  I see that they've made a couple of changes to some of the dark side cards that were causing a good chunk of the problems (Darth Vader + Force Choke with Vader any number of times per turn and Force Choke hitting anything), but I just wanted to hear from some people who have had the chance to build some decks and try to play: is there good LS/DS balance?  The asymmetric win conditions worry me in that regard…

#2 Nerdcore

Nerdcore

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

It's gotten better. That specific imbalance that you mentioned is what made me hate the game initially when I played my Gen Con demos. Now a couple of games in, it's clear that the game is more balanced, but does snowball kind of badly until the climactic last turn that you basically win or lose on. It's a slightly annoying mechanic because come from behind wins are very, VERY common, especially if the Light Side catches the Dark Side with their pants down or committing too much to the attack. Granted, that's also what's resold me on the game.

The Dark Side definitely has the advantage to start, because they can start the balance battle and having the balance is HUGE. It tilts games into your favor quickly if your opponent doesn't do something to take it or cause it to start switching back and forth.

#3 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

Step 1. Kill Tarkin

Step 5. Profit.

I haven't played the game. Using tactic icons looks like a great benefit to the LS, though.

#4 Nerdcore

Nerdcore

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Tactics is probably the strongest icon in the game right now. Even if it isn't taking them off the board, it at the very least keeps stuff tied up for far longer or can save your dude's lives. Just be glad you can't tactic resource enhancements or objectives.

#5 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

I was wondering, after looking at card spoilers and the posted rulebook, if this was going to be the case. I personally believe that it may be like my experiences with Netrunner. Dark Side will have the advantage during early plays, like the Corp, because they just have to sit back and defend. It is up to the Light side (like the Runner) to get out there and do stuff in order to win. Hopefully, also like Netrunner, it will feel more balanced as the weeks progress. 

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 12:57 PM

I'm ok with games starting leaning one way at the beginning as long as the final outcome of the game is pretty even.  What worries me most about the game was how easily the DS won every game I played at GenCon.  I know that a ton of things could have factored into that: the composition of the demo decks, a few card tweaks that were needed (they even admitted to me while I was there that the Vader/Force Choke thing was being looked at), or the asymmetric win condition.  I guess time will tell (and lots of fun games of Star Wars ).

#7 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 03:20 AM

My experience at GenCon was fantastic.  It was an ultra close game.  Jedi had 2 objectives destroyed, 1 heavily damaged.  Sith were at 11 on the Dark Side Dial.  It all came down to one turn.  I saw a Vader, and I saw a Force Choke, but never the combo.  Perhaps that's why we had a balanced game.

#8 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 05:41 AM

Yeah, I probably had horrible luck to have Vader come down turn 1 every game I played…

#9 ScottieATF

ScottieATF

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 08:53 PM

dbmeboy said:

Yeah, I probably had horrible luck to have Vader come down turn 1 every game I played…

Given that they admitted he needed to be fixed, and was changed, I'd say that would skew things a bit.

#10 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:47 AM

ScottieATF said:

dbmeboy said:

Given that they admitted he needed to be fixed, and was changed, I'd say that would skew things a bit.

Of course, which is why I started this thread.  Since I can't test the fixes myself quite yet I have to rely on the experience of the lucky few out there.  From the sounds of it, other people haven't been having the same trouble.  That's good to hear.  I'm looking forward to playing myself Soon.

#11 Meaxe

Meaxe

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

What's the difference between the Vader at GenCon and the new/official one?

#12 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

At GenCon his ability wasn't limited to once/turn. Also  force choke could hit any unit. It was a brutal combo.

#13 Darksbane

Darksbane

• Members
  • 620 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 04:40 AM

Meaxe said:

What's the difference between the Vader at GenCon and the new/official one?

Old vader wasn't limited to once per turn.

Cardgamedb.com - The source for Game of Thrones, Star Wars, Android: Netrunner, Lord of the Rings, Call of Cthulhu, and Warhammer: Invasion deckbuilders and spoilers. Now with 100% more FFG!

#14 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,291 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

I should also add that the GenCon demo started objectives non-randomly so that the DS player always started with the objective that made the first event each turn cost one less, making turn 1 Vader even more brutal. It probably says something about the game that I still really enjoyed it despite the balance issues of the demo.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS