R2-D2 dominates!

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Clancampbell

Clancampbell

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

So yesterday a co-worker and I played a small game of X-wing. Using the core set only actually as I have very few ships. He took Luke with R2-D2 and I feilded Mauler Mithel and Night Beast. He made an early mistake which allowed me to get behind him. I unloaded at him but poor dice rolling by me and Luke's ability kept him undamaged. As we moved around the board battling for position I was able to blast off his sheilds, but never could damage his hull. As the game progressed his R2 kept repairing  his shields. I'd blast it, R2 would repair it. He was able to ware down Mauler and took him out. I was worried now because one on one I thought he'd have the advantage. It didn't matter, on the very next round he lined up a shot and rolled 3 hits, my defense roll…………….3 blanks!

We both had fun. The story of the game was really R2-D2. I scored 6 or 7 hits during the game all of which only took out a sheild. R2 was quick to repair them and twice was able to repair both before I could get another shot in.

#2 BigDogg

BigDogg

• Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:31 PM

I completely agree. Just got done playing a 50 point game and my Red Squadron X-wing with R2D2 pulled out the win. At one point I was down to 1 Hit point and no shields. My opponent had one bad turn maneuvering and that's all it took for R2 to get my shields back up for about the ninth time. Managed to squeak out a victory and all because of that little droid…..he's my Hero 

• Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#3 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

I refuse to play him in less then 100 points unless I am desperate for a win… (which I havent been) I feel like its unsporting and very unfair in less then 100 points

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#4 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 01:36 AM

Maybe that's why the core set rules recommend a 31 point game if you just have the core set. So if playing a quick 1 X, 2 TIE fight, you wouldn't have access to the R2/Luke combo at least.

Be seeing you.

#5 MadMac321

MadMac321

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 07:27 PM

I agree that 32 points seems to be a tipping point for a Rebel Advantage if you only have the Core Set.

The Luke/R2-D2 combo is going to be very difficult for any two Tie Fighters to handle from Core Set.

It could be a fun match up if you play a round with each player switching sides so everyone gets to experience the joy.

Stick with 31 points in the Core Set unless you are looking for a challenge playing the Emperials from the very beginning.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS