Jump to content



Photo

Featherweight vs. Roses?


  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Aero

Aero

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:34 PM

Please settle an argument for me. The Rosebush says it can't be evaded, but the Featherweight ability says that instead of receiving damage, the player moves spaces equal to the damage. The rules say spells can be canceled, reduced, or evaded. None of the descriptions of these terms discuss redirecting damage into movement. A canceled spell is negated, a reduced spell delivers less damage, and an evaded spell is dodged. So if a Featherweight player walks into the rosebush, does the rosebush deal damage to him (because the rosebush can't be evaded), or does it damage him because Featherweight is a defenses against attacks (and the rosebush isn't attacking), or does the Featherweight player move the number of spaces the rosebush would have damaged it (because damage converted to movement is not an evasion, but a conversion of the damage energy)?

Thanks!

Aero



#2 ogid

ogid

    Member

  • Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 11:49 PM

Aero said:

Please settle an argument for me. The Rosebush says it can't be evaded, but the Featherweight ability says that instead of receiving damage, the player moves spaces equal to the damage. The rules say spells can be canceled, reduced, or evaded. None of the descriptions of these terms discuss redirecting damage into movement. A canceled spell is negated, a reduced spell delivers less damage, and an evaded spell is dodged. So if a Featherweight player walks into the rosebush, does the rosebush deal damage to him (because the rosebush can't be evaded), or does it damage him because Featherweight is a defenses against attacks (and the rosebush isn't attacking), or does the Featherweight player move the number of spaces the rosebush would have damaged it (because damage converted to movement is not an evasion, but a conversion of the damage energy)?

Thanks!

Aero

Featherweight works in a different way, it doesn´t cancel, reduce or evade, just trade life loss for movement. If a wizard with featherweight walks into a rosebush it gains 3 extra movement XDD. But Rosebush doesn´t attack so if the wizard doesn´t have the spell cast on him it can´t be cast.



#3 Tromdial

Tromdial

    Member

  • Members
  • 580 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

What happens if you pass through a Wall of Fire in a narrow hall, a narrow hall being two walls parallel to one another for at least two space lengths and between those spaces is the Wall of Fire? So you have Featherweight, pass through the Wall of Fire; when you do so, you must take 4 damage for passing through. To negate a point of that damage, you have to move backwards. To move backwards in a narrow hall, you must pass through the Wall of Fire again. The Wall of Fire will deal you another 4 damage. To negate a point of that damage, you must go backwards and pass through the Wall of Fire again. The Wall of Fire…

What happens?



#4 ogid

ogid

    Member

  • Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

Tromdial said:

 

What happens if you pass through a Wall of Fire in a narrow hall, a narrow hall being two walls parallel to one another for at least two space lengths and between those spaces is the Wall of Fire? So you have Featherweight, pass through the Wall of Fire; when you do so, you must take 4 damage for passing through. To negate a point of that damage, you have to move backwards. To move backwards in a narrow hall, you must pass through the Wall of Fire again. The Wall of Fire will deal you another 4 damage. To negate a point of that damage, you must go backwards and pass through the Wall of Fire again. The Wall of Fire…

What happens?

 

 

This one is complicated to me. In the rosebush case you recieve the damage when you enter in the square, so you can choose the direction as attacked in your square, easy. The problem in this case: you recieve damage between squares and there isn´t any rule about it.

It opens several options and i don´t know which is correct.

Option 1: Exactly as rosebush, consider the square next to wall of fire as the source of damage (consider you recieve damage when you stop end the movement action), so you can choose direction, you can choose go throught wall of fire again (7 life into movement when cross it); in this moment the movement is doing so you cannot backtrack (crosing the wall of fire to gain more movement) so you have to leave it behind, if you become unable to move (death end) you recieve as damage as remaining movement.

Option 2: Consider you recieve damage when crosing wall of fire (consider you recieve damage in the middle of the movement action), in this moment (just in the middle of wall, so you move 1/2 square) interrupt your movement and decide in which direction want to move (right or left), then you move for free to the square next to the wall in the choosen (the 1/2 remaining movement) and keep moving the 4 squares.

Option 3: As option 2 but when you recieve damage from wall of fire you must keep moving without choose direction.

I would choose option 3 but there isn´t any official response.

Remember you can choose the movement when start moving if the damage source is your square (or a wizard or creature in it), when you start movement you can choose move to any square adjacent to you but you cannot reverse direction (in the best situation you can choose 3 ways) or open doors, if you become unable to move you recieve the damage, so if you enemy have this spell there are some spells very useful: create wall, create door, big man form, stone block, thornbush…



#5 Aero

Aero

    Member

  • Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

ogid said:

Aero said:

Featherweight works in a different way, it doesn´t cancel, reduce or evade, just trade life loss for movement. If a wizard with featherweight walks into a rosebush it gains 3 extra movement XDD. But Rosebush doesn´t attack so if the wizard doesn´t have the spell cast on him it can´t be cast.

I'm now a bit confused. So just to confirm - a player with Featherweight transfers rosebush damage to movement, which is what I thought. However, the second part of  your answer seems to contradict the first part, unless I've read the rules incorrectly. Does the rosebush target an individual player? I thought it would damage anyone who stepped on it.

Thanks again!

Aero



#6 ogid

ogid

    Member

  • Members
  • 296 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

I wanted to say the rosebush damage isn´t an attack: 

As you say rosebush damages anyone who step on it, but this damage hasn´t the "attack" consideration, it is secondary damage (like destroy wall or disease) so if you had casted featherweight before you went into the rosebush you receive the extra movement, but if you have featherweight in your hand and walk into the rosebush you can´t cast it because the trigger of it is "when you are attacked" and you aren´t attacked by the bush.

I hope it helps reir






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS