Unopposed Bonus

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 bkirchhoff

bkirchhoff

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:40 PM

First Off…  I really love this game.  The cinematic moments it creates are unparalleled in any other card game I've played (and the fact that they are STAR WARS cinematic moments makes it all the more enjoyable).

Second, I'm looking for a quick confirmation on my understanding of the Unopposed Bonus.

If you are attacking an objective with a unit that only deals Unit Damage (say "Death Star Trooper" for example) and your opponent is unable to defend or survive the attack with at least one unit, you would still be able to deal 1 Damage to your declared objective due to the Unopposed Bonus (even though the attacking unit is incapable of dealing Blast Damage in and of itself.

I think I've got that right, but looking to make sure I'm playing it out and resolving correctly. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Brian

#2 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:35 PM

Yes, to bring a specific example.

You attack with an A-Wing

He defends with a Black Squadron Pilot

You win the edge battle

You strike with the A-Wing defeating the Black Squadron Pilot

There are no units left to strike, he has no defending units standing therefore the engagement is unopposed and you get a bonus damage to the objective.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#3 flipperlord

flipperlord

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

bkirchhoff said:

First Off…  I really love this game.  The cinematic moments it creates are unparalleled in any other card game I've played (and the fact that they are STAR WARS cinematic moments makes it all the more enjoyable).

Second, I'm looking for a quick confirmation on my understanding of the Unopposed Bonus.

If you are attacking an objective with a unit that only deals Unit Damage (say "Death Star Trooper" for example) and your opponent is unable to defend or survive the attack with at least one unit, you would still be able to deal 1 Damage to your declared objective due to the Unopposed Bonus (even though the attacking unit is incapable of dealing Blast Damage in and of itself.

I think I've got that right, but looking to make sure I'm playing it out and resolving correctly. 

Thanks in advance for your assistance,

Brian

Yes, that is the correct interpretation of the unopposed bonus. :)

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,326 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

Yep, that is exactly how the unopposed bonus works.  You could even use a unit with no combat icons at all to sneak in one last damage against an objective in the proper circumstances (R2-D2, for instance).

#5 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:53 AM

Think of it as Han throwing explosives at an Imperial officer inside the shield generator on Endor…. cracks me up every time.

#6 DrNate

DrNate

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for this clarification. They were playing it differently on the Worlds demo that was linked here a few days ago. It seemed like the attack had to be unopposed from the start to get that bonus damage. I guess everyone makes mistakes sometimes. 

#7 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

That was probably being to used to the older version.  When it was demoed to me at GenCon it was taught unopposed from the beginning.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#8 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:17 PM

DrNate said:

Thanks for this clarification. They were playing it differently on the Worlds demo that was linked here a few days ago. It seemed like the attack had to be unopposed from the start to get that bonus damage. I guess everyone makes mistakes sometimes. 

I noticed that too. It actually seemed inconsistent in the two Worlds demos they streamed online. In one game, which was between a random player and an FFG volunteer, they played it one way (which, if I recall correctly, is how it does work in the rules), while in the game between the two FFG employees, unopposed was handled differently and, it seems, incorrectly.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS