How about the New Faramir?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

I know I probably post these silly threads more than all other visiters combined. Still, I cannot help the curiosity, so be with me whoever enjoys the guessing game.

Now, we've got a Boromir as a allround attack boost. The original Faramir ally was an allround willpower boost. And of course, one can combine them together in a Leadership oriented deck. But do you think the designers will go with it for the hero version as well, or will they provide a more solitary version of the brother, similar to the original Boromir? I would think so and I feel it shall be a Lore Ranger.

Any other ideas?

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:39 AM

i also think lore, he was wiser than his brother. i think he will be able to give some sort of aid to defense and protection

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:55 AM

richsabre said:

i also think lore, he was wiser than his brother. i think he will be able to give some sort of aid to defense and protection

rich

The history rights by  people like Boromir. He is most interesting character in the book cose he is a man. Just a man like you and me.Same like Isildur. just a man.

When i was 7 years old and read the book first time i was really inspire by his story. He was strong and straight. I dont think Faramir was more wise. But he was more weak for sure.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#4 Mighty Jim

Mighty Jim

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

Boromir tried to take the ring

Faramir didn't (and don't let Peter Jackson convince you he even thought about it much)

therefore, Faramir was clearly both wiser and much less "weak"

#5 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

Glaurung said:

richsabre said:

rich

The history rights by  people like Boromir. He is most interesting character in the book cose he is a man. Just a man like you and me.Same like Isildur. just a man.

When i was 7 years old and read the book first time i was really inspire by his story. He was strong and straight. I dont think Faramir was more wise. But he was more weak for sure.

Glaurung said:

richsabre said:

rich

Oleg, this is my favourite post of yours, ever.

I do feel Faramir was wiser in a way but there are different ways of being smart or intelligent. I would not outright say Boromir is the most interesting character in the story, but for me he is surely among them, one of the first that come to mind. I have a strong feeling for the whole tragedy of the family though.

As for the game, I hope Faramir comes with higher willpower stat than his ally version since he will not likely be able to boost others anymore. If any Gondor character should have willpower of 3, it may well be Faramir.

#6 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:08 AM

Mighty Jim said:

Boromir tried to take the ring

Faramir didn't (and don't let Peter Jackson convince you he even thought about it much)

therefore, Faramir was clearly both wiser and much less "weak"

But do think of the situations they were in. I myself still consider the whole plan as foolish, as Gandalf rightly puts it. That it was the right thing to do in the end is another matter. That I am myself rather foolish is very probable but that is the fate of man.

#7 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,231 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

I'd favour a spirit Faramir with a high WP and/or defense and a low starting threat, as he was an inspiration for the men who were with him and he knew how to set ambushes. His special ability could be something about trapping enemies (like Forest Trap) or cancelling the threat of one enemy in the staging area (like Radagast's cunning) or reducing the attack strength of an enemy.

#8 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,841 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

leptokurt said:

I'd favour a spirit Faramir with a high WP and/or defense and a low starting threat, as he was an inspiration for the men who were with him and he knew how to set ambushes. His special ability could be something about trapping enemies (like Forest Trap) or cancelling the threat of one enemy in the staging area (like Radagast's cunning) or reducing the attack strength of an enemy.

Yes that what i thinking too.

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#9 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

leptokurt said:

Yeah, sounds good; just the abilities you mention feel as prototypes for Lore (as are the cards you mention).

#10 Abelard

Abelard

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

How about something to do with the siege or battleground keywords? Perhaps something which makes him the partner to Boromir?

Gondor allies gain +1 Willpower, maybe also:

'If the active location is a seige, Gondor allies gain +1Defence."

#11 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,766 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

Abelard said:

How about something to do with the siege or battleground keywords? Perhaps something which makes him the partner to Boromir?

that would be nice and thematic, but a little restrictive in other quests…such as bombur

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#12 Pharmboys2013

Pharmboys2013

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:03 PM

Gonna make up a new Faramir hero because i'm bored

Hero: Faramir

Sphere: Lore

Starting Threat: 6

Gondor. Noble. Ranger.

WP: 2   ATK: 1   DEF: 2   HP: 3

Action: Exhaust Faramir to choose an enemy engaged with a player, take the top player card from your deck and attach it, face down, to the chosen enemy.  While that player card is attached, the enemy cannot attack.  When the enemy is discarded, so is the attached player card.

Flavor text: "So this is the answer to all the riddles: here in the wild I have you, two halflings and a host of men at my call, and the Ring of Power within my grasp"

Not sure why I picked Lore,  although thats where it seems a lot of the "ranger" cards are headed.  His ability is basically a re-usable forest snare which kind of stays in-tune with his ranger and trap background.  I tried to balance this great ability by keeping his lackluster ally stats.  I picked a low starting threat mostly so that his bad stats wouldnt be so much of a turn-off as though he wouldnt be used (as if this card would see the light of day anyway) plus he seemed very skilled at keeping away from the enemies of Sauron which is the thematic purpose of threat to begin with.

"His life is charmed, or fate spares him for some other end."

#13 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 10:28 PM

Abelard said:

I do hope Faramir does combo with Boromir. Not as strictly as do Elrond's twins, but that there is a clear combo without printing Boromir's name on the card. As much as I like the current Boromir version, the ability is a little bleak and Faramir could spice things up. I just cannot myself see how; and even if I did, it would mean little.

#14 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:01 AM

Boromir is my second favorite character in Middle-Earth, he is strong, he is bold and he is honorable - in the eyes of every Gondorian, at least.
Faramir has a lot of Willpower, I remember somewhere in the book where he has the chance to get the ring and he refuses it, so, in a game sense, I would put him with 3-4 willpower, high defense and low attack even though he was a nice ranger.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS