House rule to spice up your game

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 frogemoth

frogemoth

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Give the monsters a fighting chance using this simple house rule.

In our game we have agreed on a simple house rule, when the game start each characters has 2 light fate tokens which can only be used when the player is rolling a die for a monster against another character, by spending a fate token you can reroll a single die, you can only use one token per encounter and they cannot be resplinished. This makes some encounters particularly deadly like the Basilisk for example or it can change the outcome of the game from victory to defeat if used judiciously against the Lord of Darkness.

Alternatively you could decide that each time your resplenish fate you also resplenish one or more of your light tokens or you could decide that each character start with the same amount of fate tokens, but this would make some character more powerful than others.

Tell me what you guys think about this house rule.

#2 Osbo25

Osbo25

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:09 AM

It's an intriguing idea to spend fate to reroll an enemy's attack roll.  I think I would rework it like this: A character engaged in combat may spend one fate to reroll either his roll or to have his opponent's roll rerolled.  He may not spend one fate on each.  That way, if he has a bad roll and his opponent has a bad roll, he can reroll his own; or if he has a good roll and his opponent has a good roll, he can reroll his opponent's.  So also you don't have to try to keep track of "light" fate and "dark" fate.  You just have fate.  You may spend one per turn.  Use it wisely.

This would get interesting (confusing? complicated?) when two characters fought each other.  They could both force the other to reroll.  I'm not sure if that would be helpful, harmful, or just plain annoying.  It adds another dimension to the game, that's for sure.

#3 frogemoth

frogemoth

• Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 08:41 AM

Well that wouldn't work too well in our games because we have a lot of different characters that I took from this board that abilities like the one you suggested, I think it is better to only use this when rolling a die for a monster, but thanks for the suggestion.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS