Henchmen as "allies" in card effects

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:37 AM

Well, last night was a "knockout" session in more ways than one.  It is possible to take down 4 PC's with almost 80 advances each!

Question, if an action card like the Skaven "overwhelming horde" has a one effect line that is "inflict 1 fatigue per ally in engagement", does a group of henchmen count as "1 ally" or "however many is in group".

I played it as "number in group" (which means lots of Fatigue).  Narratively that plays fine as Skaven love knocking people out to drag them off to their fate in the undercity (and I may have 4 epic heroes finish their lives as skaven slaves hee hee hee) but it can mechanically pack quite the punch.

I sent question into FFG rules section but wondering if I've missed some official rule already published somewhere.

Rob

#2 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:43 AM

valvorik said:

Well, last night was a "knockout" session in more ways than one.  It is possible to take down 4 PC's with almost 80 advances each!

Question, if an action card like the Skaven "overwhelming horde" has a one effect line that is "inflict 1 fatigue per ally in engagement", does a group of henchmen count as "1 ally" or "however many is in group".

I played it as "number in group" (which means lots of Fatigue).  Narratively that plays fine as Skaven love knocking people out to drag them off to their fate in the undercity (and I may have 4 epic heroes finish their lives as skaven slaves hee hee hee) but it can mechanically pack quite the punch.

I sent question into FFG rules section but wondering if I've missed some official rule already published somewhere.

Rob

I already asked this to Daniel, in my case it was related to the greenskin card "Swarm em'!". The answer was that a group of henchmen counts as 1 ally, no matter the number that composes it.

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#3 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

Ooooh, I goofed up then.  Knocked out a PC with my ruling, may have to let him "spring up only dazed"

#4 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,405 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:16 AM

valvorik said:

Ooooh, I goofed up then.  Knocked out a PC with my ruling, may have to let him "spring up only dazed"

Neeeeeeee! You know, the GM sets the rules at his table, no matter what D.L. Clark says 

Make them wake up as slaves of the skaven…it makes for a fantastic warhammer scenario!

Cheers

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#5 gruntl

gruntl

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:17 AM

Yepesnopes said:

valvorik said:

Neeeeeeee! You know, the GM sets the rules at his table, no matter what D.L. Clark says 

Make them wake up as slaves of the skaven…it makes for a fantastic warhammer scenario!

Cheers

Seconded, nvm the muck-up, having them waking up as slaves and running an escape session seems like great fun to me.

#6 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Don't use henchmen… :)

Even with regular strength enemies, you can bunch them up and have them attack in groups with assists.

———
The time of change has come!

#7 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 01:11 PM

Thanks for the comments etc.

I will go with the rules and give the character improperly knocked out a "you lay there unnoticed, could swig a healing draught, assess situation etc." explanation for not interfering in fight.  That still leaves the elf PC unconscious (legit Fatigue excess), the charlatan/rat catcher etc. unconcious from  wounds and with multiple crits (three at once, 2 Severe!!! hee hee hee), his little dog run off from obedience bottomed out, and the non-unconcious PC carrying quite a few wounds.

My loves me henchmen.  Efficient way of playing groups of grunts, letting heroes be heroes but their "stack up fortune dice" letting them menacing still.  The encounter was 2 squads of henchmen stormvermin, lead by a template-enhanced stormvermin (showed picture of skaven horde to them), with a template-enhance rat ogre and template-enhanced skaven sorcerer.  The henchman provide screening etc. for the bosses.

We go into next session with 1 squad left (only 2 left in it), improved stormvermin and sorcerer still up and swinging.  They may still end up waking up in the dark amid screams or may triumph.

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

You're starting to sound like a rat-bastard GM ;)

jh

#9 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,966 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:23 AM

Emirikol said:

You're starting to sound like a rat-bastard GM ;)

jh

Die die humanz!  Meez Skaven!  Weez all bastards, marry the breeders!  Silly humanz. (players have noted I tend to channel the monsters, when the rat ogre fell I described the lead stormvermin charging in screaming in Queekish, "now I show show you, stupid Rat Ogres not bested, iz me!!!")

Did I mention that the little dog, before running off took a critical hit block for master from the Desolate Blade carried by rat ogre and I deem a Critical Hit with a Warpstone-laced weapon to be enough exposure to warrant a Corruption check.  I'm nice I am, not any hit, only a critical.  So Senor Bitey the dog may be growing a 2nd tail.

Still pondering what a couple of points of corruption means for a ratcatcher's dog.

#10 thePREdiger

thePREdiger

• Members
  • 164 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:58 PM

valvorik said:

Still pondering what a couple of points of corruption means for a ratcatcher's dog.

Oh this sounds so much fun. Just determine a Corruption Threshold and apply the same rules? Never used a familiar, but the possibilities

with a loyal but deformed familiar are great 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS