Jump to content



Photo

Should I buy 2 core sets?


  • Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Red Comet

Red Comet

    Member

  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:03 PM

I just recently bought the X-Wing core set and I'm really interested in making both a Rebel and Imperial Squad. I want to get both X-Wings and Tie Fighters, but I'm not sure if the cards included with the core set also come with the expansions.

Does the Tie Fighter/X-Wing expansion come with different cards than the core set? Or does it contain the characters from the core set + the generic fighter pilots you get with the core set?



#2 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

    Member

  • Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:48 PM

The TIE and X-Wing Expansion packs do indeed come with different cards than those found in the Core Set, so I do recommend that you buy at least one TIE and one X-Wing Expansion pack.

After that, if you still want more TIEs and X-Wings, more core sets are more cost-efficient and include more dice and other goodies!


The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses


#3 Red Comet

Red Comet

    Member

  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

What do the X-Wing and Tie Fighter expansion have that's different from the normal core set?



#4 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

    Member

  • Members
  • 357 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Red Comet said:

What do the X-Wing and Tie Fighter expansion have that's different from the normal core set?

The two expansions have different unique pilots than the core set. For example, only the X-Wing Expansion has Wedge Antilles (arguably the best X-Wing pilot in the game) and only the TIE Expansion has "Backstabber". Trust me. Pick up the expansions.


The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses


#5 Surtur

Surtur

    Member

  • Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Game

This has nice little lists of what each one comes with. Not gonna say much about what the cards do though…



#6 magadizer

magadizer

    2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

  • Members
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:47 AM

 The answer is no. You should not buy 2 core sets. you should buy 3.


Be seeing you.

#7 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

    Member

  • Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:52 AM

Hey guys,

I just got the game for my birthday, and I am curious why people recommend buying three core sets? I was thinking of buying a 2nd one for now, playing the game with family, waiting for Christmas to get the 4 wave 1 expansions pack. So, what are the reasons for a 3rd core set?

Cheers
Ceodryn



#8 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

    Member

  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:01 AM

Ceodryn said:

Hey guys,

I just got the game for my birthday, and I am curious why people recommend buying three core sets? I was thinking of buying a 2nd one for now, playing the game with family, waiting for Christmas to get the 4 wave 1 expansions pack. So, what are the reasons for a 3rd core set?

Cheers
Ceodryn

 

If you're planing to get higher numbers of both X-Wings and TIE Fighters any way why spend $45 on 3 single ships when you can get those same 3 ships for $30 by getting another core set? As long as you get one of each single version to get its pilot card extra core sets makes more sense for building up an army of ships.



#9 Duraham

Duraham

    Member

  • Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:36 AM

 also, the cardboard stuff and templates get worn out fiarly quickly, so it's always better to have spares



#10 magadizer

magadizer

    2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

  • Members
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:28 AM

 I was being tongue in cheek, but seriously, you don't really need a third one unless you want to get more Xs and TIEs at a better price. I bought it because a local comic shop had them on sale.

At first, I was going to stop with 1 core set and 1 of each expansion. Then it was an extra core set. Then an extra Y and TIE advanced. Then a third core set. Then another Y and TIE advanced.

I will probably buy my final TIE today.

It's crazy. I think that the delay of wave two helps me to want to fill out most of the options possible in Wave 1, for sure.

However, my original thought was more practical, around the lines of "How many ships might I really put on the table at once?" And knowing that the Wave 1 ships will be displaced by Wave 2, in 100 point builds, I already have way more than I need. But I also discovered that massive games over 100 points are pretty cool too, and you need a lot of Imperial ships to make that possible.


Be seeing you.

#11 BigDogg

BigDogg

    Member

  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

I bought the starter game and one of each of the expansions. Still having difficult time getting up to 100 point level and have a competitive force for ether side. I got lucky and found a online seller that had the starter in stock. So I picked up a Starter and two more Y-wings for just over $50. So my fleet at this point will be:

 3 X-wing
 3 Y-wing
 5 Tie fighters
 1 Tie Advance

I think that will hold me for now until the next expansion comes out.


  • Rebels: 5 X-wing, 3 Y-wing, 3 A-wing, 3 B-wing, 2 Hawk 290 and  a YT-1300
  • Imperial: 9 Tie fighters, 3 Advanced, 3 Interceoters, 2 Bombers, a Shuttle and Firspray 31

#12 hothie

hothie

    Member

  • Members
  • 976 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:37 AM

You should definitely get more than 1 core set, but shop around and find deals. Target just had theirs for $30 (39.99 MSRP), and with target card, coupons, etc it was even cheaper. More ships, extra templates, and more importantly, more dice! You will find there are many instances when you need 4 or even 5 dice, and 3 just doesn't cut it.

Hope you get more for Christmas! Have fun.



#13 Devlan

Devlan

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 11:50 AM

 Yeah, the starter set is a really good buy, and I'm not even sure I'd want to get a second pair of the X-Wing or TIE expansions before getting a second or even core.  If you can buy them from Amazon or something, you're basically getting a free ship, without even including the templates and dice.  I don't recall what amazing upgrade cards the X-Wing and TIE booster have over the core set, but I don't think you miss out on too much.



#14 Red Comet

Red Comet

    Member

  • Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:52 PM

Stormtrooper721 said:

Red Comet said:

 

What do the X-Wing and Tie Fighter expansion have that's different from the normal core set?

 

 

The two expansions have different unique pilots than the core set. For example, only the X-Wing Expansion has Wedge Antilles (arguably the best X-Wing pilot in the game) and only the TIE Expansion has "Backstabber". Trust me. Pick up the expansions.

Surtur said:

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/X-Wing_Miniatures_Game

This has nice little lists of what each one comes with. Not gonna say much about what the cards do though…

Thanks for the info you two. I definitely want to buy an individual of each just for the cards. Its definitely a good deal considering that those characters can only be used one per side.



#15 Devlan

Devlan

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:13 PM

 Yeah, there's definitely an incentive to get one X-Wing and TIE expansion, but I think after that the core set is a much better value for getting X-Wings and TIEs.



#16 Duraham

Duraham

    Member

  • Members
  • 811 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

 actually OP should buy 3 core sets, so he can play the game 3 times faster



#17 Devlan

Devlan

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 03:52 AM

Duraham said:

 actually OP should buy 3 core sets, so he can play the game 3 times faster

 

Buy all the core sets.  ALL OF THEM.



#18 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

    Member

  • Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:07 AM

hothie said:

You should definitely get more than 1 core set, but shop around and find deals. Target just had theirs for $30 (39.99 MSRP), and with target card, coupons, etc it was even cheaper. More ships, extra templates, and more importantly, more dice! You will find there are many instances when you need 4 or even 5 dice, and 3 just doesn't cut it.

Hope you get more for Christmas! Have fun.

 

I know I'm kicking myself for not getting a second one.



#19 Jimula

Jimula

    Member

  • Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

 I'm going to get ask Santa for a second core set - any idea where he should shop in the UK for for the best deal?



#20 R5Don4

R5Don4

    Member

  • Members
  • 369 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 05:26 AM

 Maelstrom?  JOKE!


Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/





© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS