Stahleck 2012 memories (not a report)

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:56 AM

So this year was the first time I have been to Stahleck Tourney, in fact the first time I've been out of the UK for a tournament, and I can honestly say I'm hooked! The build up, the journey, the atmosphere, everything was brilliant. I learned a lot about the rules which I thought I had inside and out, I learned a lot about deck building, I learned not to trust any one in melee  the list goes on….

The Main Event: My standings were terrible, which I can't say I'm surprised at, over all in melee I came in 54th. I was bottom of the table round 1 vs Lannister Maesters, Baratheon "Knights" and Lannister. 2nd (out of 3) round 2 vs Lannister and Martell, and joint 2nd round 3 vs Martell, Greyjoy and Lannister. Each of the games were close but none of them have put me of playing Lannister "White Book"

In joust I feel like my Martell build really let me down but the wise words of a Spaniard has set me straight, although too late for this event I'll be ready for next time (I hope). I didn't come last in my group but lets just say I may as well have

The Side Events: While at Stahleck we had decided to join in with two of the side events, Driver not the Car and 2v2, I was really looking forward to both these events however both suffered from one problem, a lack of organisation, Driver not the Car had too many people (44 I think) and it proved too much to handle when each round was worked out with pen and paper, I'll give the TO his due he stuck at it and it was a fun event but it took a long, long time, and I don't think everyone was clear on how to fill out the match report sheets (I know for a fact my "car" lost all it's games yet the sheet said otherwise?). It was great to see a variety of decks and some games had people in stitches so it wouldn't stop me playing again.

2v2 was awful, while I didn't realise it wasn't a melee format according to the rule book I feel using the titles would be the better option, yes it might take longer to play (unless you set a time limit and stick to it "grumble grumble"), but the titles would add that element of strategy and cooperation missing from the event where discussing plot cards was as close as you got. Add to this disappointment the fact the judge/TO hadn't given himself enough time to even run the event and left for his train asking if anyone would finish off for him. I was shocked, yes he was a volunteer (I assume), and was provided with an event kit by the main organiser (again, I assume), but why volunteer if you know you can't finish the event? Anyway, after he left I counted up the scores and handed out the prizes as fairly as possible (mostly on the roll of a dice where ties were concerned) and everyone seemed happy.

The Final Night: After all the "seriousness" of tourney time was over those of us who stayed for the final night got to the business of playing crazy games, making friends and drinking beers; this more than anything has sealed my fate as an event tourist, I don't care if I ever become a champion; meeting like minded people having fun and playing the game we love is enough for me. Many thanks must go to Wolfgang and his event crew, it was a boss event and I can't wait till next year!

Tees Squadron Doyle Leader, standing by

#2 Tomdidiot

Tomdidiot

• Members
  • 189 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

CowboyJesus said:

Add to this disappointment the fact the judge/TO hadn't given himself enough time to even run the event and left for his train asking if anyone would finish off for him. I was shocked, yes he was a volunteer (I assume), and was provided with an event kit by the main organiser (again, I assume), but why volunteer if you know you can't finish the event? Anyway, after he left I counted up the scores and handed out the prizes as fairly as possible (mostly on the roll of a dice where ties were concerned) and everyone seemed happy.

I had expected to be able to finish on time (4pm), but delays in starting the tourney and delays in the rounds meant that it wasn't possible for me to stay behind to finish the tourney, and for that I'm sorry.  It took a lot longer than it should have to find a way of making up the numbers to have 24 people, and people dropping out of the 2vs2 is a massive, massive pain in the rear.

#3 Tobi_GER

Tobi_GER

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

Next time play highlander. :P

#4 JCWamma

JCWamma

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:14 AM

Was an awesome time, really cool meeting you and all the other Brits (as well as our continental friends, of course :P). Out of interest, what were you set straight about with your Martell deck?

#5 RefrigeratedRaymond

RefrigeratedRaymond

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:26 PM

I think that, if 2v2 is repeated, there should be some standardised rules that are published in advance. The confusion over titles, what is and isn’t allowed to be discussed and the general rushed atmosphere distracted from what has the potential to be a great event.

I disagree that titles would be good for 2v2– there would be situations where your only valid target for attack would be one of your opponents, which would reduce the amount of possible cooperation considerably, in my opinion.  Plots like Focused Offense actually have an interesting place in 2v2 so long as you can rely on your partner to defend you - but with titles, it would be so much harder to rely on them. Also, if you supported an opponent, tried to attack the other who has the Crown Regent and they redirect your attack, what happens?

That’s just my opinion, though, and until smarter minds than mine come up with some ‘official’ rules, I’ll play by whatever rules the organiser fancies!

I would be very interested to see what would happen if the pairings were not random. If you could find a partner in advance and have a chance to prepare decks that complement each other that would be a whole new deckbuilding experience. This, however, would require a whole new set of rules to prohibit abuse – maybe partners must use different house decks, and their plot cards are considered to be one plot deck of 14 cards (so, for example, you can’t have 4 rounds of Power of Blood one after the other in noble-heavy parings…!).

It was great to meet you at Stahleck, and I look forward to seeing you next year (if not before at a UK event or in Spain…?)!

#6 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,560 posts

Posted 25 November 2012 - 10:39 PM

It was great to meet the British crew at Stahleck. So much fun… Looking forward to seeing you guys and gals (sorry Stephen, I means lads and lassies) again.

One thing, didn't play in the 2v2, but why was there confusion about rules, esp. multiplayer titles? CS Rulebook clearly states that they are not used in 2v2, so where's the confusion coming from?

#7 CowboyJesus

CowboyJesus

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:58 AM

No worries Tomdidiot, it wasn't a major pain, I assume things would have gone much smoother had there been more time to organise.

JC, we mostly talked about the ratios of things in my deck, a lot of it was because my plot deck couldn't provide the gold for the volume of stuff I wanted to play, think I've got it cracked now, tho time will tell :) I applied the same ideas to my Lannister White Book deck also but not had a single melee game since we got back :( was happy with the way it played over the weekend but wanted to put the new learnings to test.

As for the whole rules thing on 2v2 I know the rule book says it doesn't use titles it was just my opinion that it would be better with them. Don't understand the confusion over using the titles tho, clearly if you support an opponent and attack the other who has the Crown Regent they couldn't redirect you since there would be no legal target, this makes the Crown Regent less powerful in this format to some extent but that's not to say there wouldn't be balance still. I'm gonna give it a blast next time we have a melee, will let you know how it goes :)

Tees Squadron Doyle Leader, standing by

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS