• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Riuka

Riuka

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

Hello everybody!

You will have to forgive me if this topic has already been discussed but I have just bought the core set of the game and I am having serious trouble to beat the second and specially third quest. I would like you to give me some deck-building advice and tips in order to help me beat the quest in solo mode. I would really appreaciate of you could submit your deck proposals using the cards ONLY from one core set.

Thank you so much in advance!

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,801 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:00 AM

hey

welcome

firstly i would recommend searching (on the web..not the site) for a thread called 'drowning on the anduin' which deals with pretty much the same as you are asking

also, im not sure if you have, but try putting a thread in the deck building sub catagory, you may get some replies before the thread gets buried

what heros are you trying? key to winning this quest is low threat until you can deal with the troll, so pack some galadrims greetings (spirit) and gandalf (neutral) with sneak attack (leadership) all to lower threat

then you can deal with the troll when some allies are in play. you can either forest snare it, or let an ally take a hit, or feint it. either way absorb 1 attack at most then launch an all out assault with your attackers. you want to take it down as fast as possible

2 heros are really good in anduin, dunhere for striking in the staging area, and thalin to deal with the crows before they surge

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

Check this out

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#4 Riuka

Riuka

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 06:13 AM

Thanks a lot guys!

#5 sammann11

sammann11

• Members
  • 219 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:12 PM

I agree with rich sabre that "drowningon the anduin" is a good thread to go over. He pointed me to it and it helped big time.

Like you, I'mbuying (and playing) the sets/packs in order.

I just beat that quest earlier tonight playing "2-handed" with a tactics deck and the spirit deck (each deck with 2 Gandalfs). I use the spirit guys to quest, tactics to fight. If you can get Citadel plate on Gimli, have him absorb the damage, then have him hit back big the next turn. 

I have found that for this quest I've had good luck doing this, not mixing spheres. While this is not a viable option for some quests, it seems to work for "journey down.."

As for "Esape..", well. The one time I beat it I played "4-handed" using all four decks, no mixed shepes. This gives you all the heros (minus the captive) as options. It was still tough, and demanded a decent amount of table space and brain power, but it is do-able.

Good luck! 

"Not all heros dwell in the light. Some limp in shadow." - Paul S. Kemp

#6 Captain Poe

Captain Poe

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 03:12 AM

I was able to beat the anduin with the premade spirit deck. A modification of it should do the job.

The third quest is basically unbeatable unless you invest heavily in expansions. I thought that was BS, but after multiple losses, solo and 2 player, i gave up. I think It took me something like 40 tries to finally get through it. It makes anduin look like a cake walk.

#7 jrd

jrd

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:55 AM

There's been a lot of discussion about beating Journey down the Anduin on Boardgamegeek - have a look through the 'Sessions' section pf http://boardgamegeek...s-the-card-game and you'll find a lot of helpful threads.

Escape from Dol Guldur can be beaten with two players with the core set, but it's a tough challenge and you'll want to build your own decks to have the best chance. It's extremely hard to beat Dol Guldur with only one player, even with all the cards from the expansion sets. Basically, with only a core set, you will only beat this one solo with a lot of luck.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS