• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:26 AM

I have a question for the community,

If I attend a Kessel Run event as a participant (if my LGS gets one, I'll likely TO it.) should I include the Falcon in my squad?

I looked at the Kessel Run rules on FFG (not the ones sent to the stores. I haven't seen those yet.) and I didn't see anything that says I can't. Then I looked at the tournament rules pdf on here, and it talks about the Squad Pool coming from FFG Xwing expansions, which the Falcon is.

I mean, I have a squad made up that doesn't include it, but I just wanted to get a sense from the community if I should or not. And, if I don't use it, should I let someone else use it who wants to? That's always a possibility as well. Would it be legal for them to use it? I would think that if I could, so could they.

Thoughts?

#2 Brian_Black

Brian_Black

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

My guess would be no, only because the Falcon (and all cards associated wih the expansion) isn't available to everyone participating in the tournament. But, that's just my 30-second gut feeling. 

#3 UndeadToast

UndeadToast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:46 AM

I think that you would legally be able to run the Falcon in the Kessel Run Event. The tournament is for the X-wing game and all of its expansions which, like you said, the Falcon is.

That being said, I don't think you should as a player. It would be cool to take and show to other players. You obviously won one at Worlds or bought one for $250 on Ebay. Either way, bragging rights! BUT it is a piece that no one else has access to and gives you an unfair advantage in a tournament where the Grand Prize is a piece you are already playing.

The thing I like the most about the KRE is that in the final round the top two players are ONLY using the wave 2 miniatures! It adds excitement of the unknown to the final fight! Using the Falcon the entire tournament ruins the anticipation of that in my opinion. In addition it could give the imperial player and advantage in the final round. Everyone will see what the Falcon can do all tournament and begin to develop stratagies on taking it out. No one will have witnessed Slave 1 in action and it could give it an edge.

Like I said, i don't think anyone can argue the fact that you can use it. My opinion is that it takes away from the original goal of the KRE and could ruin the event for others.

#4 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

When I asked my wife, she said no as well, strictly because it's not available to everyone, and therefore unfair. So I figure i won't run it, or let anyone else run it. I just wanted to see what the community had to say. Thanks! :)

#5 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

The units allowed are specified in the Tournament Rules at the bottom of page three under Legal Products.  They do not currently include the Falcon or any of Wave 2 or the Dice App.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#6 godofcheese

godofcheese

• Members
  • 283 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:09 AM

My guess would be no.

Reason: If you have a close look at the tournament rules, it not only says that models have to come from the expansions, but also lists what products may be used (hence the debate over the dice app.) My guess is they won't add the Falcon to that list untill it is available for purchase.

#7 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

No way!  That doesn't mean you shouldn't bring it to psyche out the competition.

#8 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:34 AM

R5Don4 said:

The units allowed are specified in the Tournament Rules at the bottom of page three under Legal Products.  They do not currently include the Falcon or any of Wave 2 or the Dice App.

the Dice App IS legal for tournaments. Emailed response was posted here:

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=331&efcid=6&efidt=737184&efpag=0#745296

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#9 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:03 AM

not printed in the rules.  Maybe you should email FFG and ask them if you can use the Falcon then.

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#10 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:35 AM

R5Don4 said:

not printed in the rules.  Maybe you should email FFG and ask them if you can use the Falcon then.

Well, the tournament PDF was published before the dice app was available. I'm allowing the app at the KRE that I'm TO for based on the email response from FFG. That's good enough for me. If its not for you, that's your issue.

And I actually just did send an email asking for an official answer as to whether the Wave 2 ships are legal for the KRE.  I'm not worried about someone who got one at Worlds showing up with one. The reason I asked is because two other stores in the area got the event and are having it on different days, so it's entirely possible that someone could show up with a ship they won and want to use it. I wanted to have a more recent response from FFG in that case.

i did also mention that they should update the tourney PDF to include the Dice App, so hopefully that will happen sooner rather than later.

Jim

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s,10 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 4 Phantoms

#11 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:54 PM

Right, my eyes saw "Expansion pack", and skipped right over the ships listed. So big no, because the ffg post about it specifies the Tournament Rules pdf, so that's what we have to go by. Cool. Thanks.

And yeah, that does bring up what if someone wins one on one day and wants to play it on another day, but judging by the pdf, I still say that would be no.

Edit: I sent an email to FFG for clarification for or against. I would expect the answer to be no on any wave 2 ships, but figured it couldn't hurt to get an official response.

#12 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:19 PM

hothie said:

And yeah, that does bring up what if someone wins one on one day and wants to play it on another day, but judging by the pdf, I still say that would be no.

Edit: I sent an email to FFG for clarification for or against. I would expect the answer to be no on any wave 2 ships, but figured it couldn't hurt to get an official response.

i agree but since they haven't updated the Tourney PDF I wanted to verify by email because in cities with events on different days I think it will come up and I'd prefer to have a more recent answer. I fully expect the answer to be that the prize ships are not legal for the event.

Jim

#13 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:21 PM

That's good thinking.  Better to have a concrete answer to point to rather than the somewhat ambiguous official tournament rules they published, that are not quite conclusive.

#14 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:37 PM

R5Don4 said:

That's good thinking.  Better to have a concrete answer to point to rather than the somewhat ambiguous official tournament rules they published, that are not quite conclusive.

Yeah, I figured that the KRE is probably an unanticipated situation as far as the Tourney Rules go since it's in reaction to a production delay, so I figured it would be good to give FFG an opportunity to give an official response prior to the event. Although in fairness, they may cover it in the KRE pack, which won't come for a couple of weeks yet (if I remember the details from my FLGS owner showing me the email.

Personally I wouldn't want to run one of the new ships in a tournament without having a chance to play with it before-hand, but someone else might!

Jim

#15 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

Official response from FFG:

Our intention is most definitely that only wave 1 ships be allowed in play, until the final 2 face off using exclusively wave 2 ships.

You are correct that at this time Wave 1 ships are the only that remain tournament legal.

So, there you have it. Even if you win wave 2 ships at one event, you can't play them in another event.

#16 DoubleNot7

DoubleNot7

• Members
  • 1,090 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 02:23 AM

Read the rules.  FFG has clearly stated only expansion 1 ships are allowed.

Enimo Et Fide

#17 drkjedi35

drkjedi35

• Members
  • 389 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

Read the NEWEST version of the tournament rules dated 11/30/2012.  It clearly states that only Wave 1 ships are allowed, as well as the dice pack and the Dice App.

Roy

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS