Playing with minis

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tonyfr

Tonyfr

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

Playing the mini monsters is fun but seems to slow the game down.  First we pick the monster from the cup and then find the mini to put the card in.   I have been thinking about assigning numbers to them and just having the players pull a number and keeping the mini's in number order to select quickly.   Does anyone else come up with a system?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

#2 Shub-Niggurath

Shub-Niggurath

• Members
  • 272 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Tonyfr said:

Playing the mini monsters is fun but seems to slow the game down.  First we pick the monster from the cup and then find the mini to put the card in.   I have been thinking about assigning numbers to them and just having the players pull a number and keeping the mini's in number order to select quickly.   Does anyone else come up with a system?

Thanks in advance,

Tony

Not a system as such but I still use the tokens and just use the minis to add some atmosphere now and again. I don't bother getting every mini out every time (even though I have them all) - as you say it's too time consuming and they don't always fit .

I make sure I always use the Dunwhich Horror and some if the more impressive or significant minis, but don't bother with every cultist - it's just too fiddly.  

I have them all lined up - mainly as a visual reference. Not all make it onto the board.

#3 Walk

Walk

• Members
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

I have a system that I use for monster tokens which requires polyhedral dice: line the monsters up in rows of ten.  Then, whenever you need to draw a monster, count the number of rows and roll the die with the fewest sides that still has a number of sides equal to or greater than the number of rows.  If you roll higher than the number of rolls, reroll.  Otherwise, roll a ten-sided die to determine the specific monster.  If you roll higher than the number of monsters in the row, reroll both dice.  I tend to shift the monster back (or just relocate the last monster in the last row) to plug any empty spaces that appear.  I made this system because I'm a real stickler for randomness, and yes, I'm aware that I have issues.  It works surprisingly well, the only issue being that monster surges take a while to work out.  But then, monster surges aren't all that common when you play with all expansions….

Of course, now that I think of it, you would need a lot of space to use this method with the figures, since some of them are so large.

#4 Kieran

Kieran

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

I'd quite Luke an extra set of ALL the monster tokens. One set for the minis, one for the monster bag.

#5 Tonyfr

Tonyfr

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 04:40 AM

I like the dice rolling idea.  Seems simple enough and I do not need to do any extra work.

I would like addition set of monster tokens myself just because some of them are getting beat up from use.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS