Photo

Question: encountering a space with an unclaimed Dragon Scale and undefeated Dragon cards

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:13 PM

This has been bugging me.

A character can encounter the space, a dragon scale on the space, or another character on the same space, of course provided the dragon scale doesn't match the current Dragon King. Otherwise you have to encounter the scale.

Let's say you decide to encounter a space with such a Dragon Scale. ( a non-King scale). There's an undefeated Enemy from a Dragon card on this space. So you encounter the Enemy, and do not draw another Dragon card. Do you get to claim the scale if you defeat the Enemy?

#2 Velhart

Velhart

• Members
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:23 PM

zealot12 said:

A character can encounter the space, a dragon scale on the space, or another character on the same space, of course provided the dragon scale doesn't match the current Dragon King. Otherwise you have to encounter the scale.

Let's say you decide to encounter a space with such a Dragon Scale. ( a non-King scale). There's an undefeated Enemy from a Dragon card on this space. So you encounter the Enemy, and do not draw another Dragon card. Do you get to claim the scale if you defeat the Enemy?

A: Yes

If you defeat a enemy from the dragon deck, then you may claim the scale on it's space.

#3 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:30 PM

zealot12 said:

You're doing something wrong here. Check Dragon Rulebook, page 10:

If a character encounters the dragon scale, he must draw one card from the deck that matches the dragon scale, even if there are already one or more cards in the space. The character must resolve all of the cards in the space following the normal rules (cards must be resolved in order of their encounter
number, Enemies with the same encounter number add their Strength and Craft together, etc.). This may result in a character resolving an Adventure Card from the main game before he resolves the newly drawn if the Dragon Card has a higher encounter number.

If the new Dragon Card is an Object and there's another undefeated Enemy from a Dragon Card, you may claim the scale if you kill that face-up Enemy.

#4 GrimGuvna

GrimGuvna

• Members
  • 115 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:04 AM

I beleive zealot is refering to the situation where the character encounters a space and the dragon token present is not the dragon king so the players is choosing to encounter the space which happens to already contain an enemy from the dragon deck.

Velhart has already clarified but I will quote the text from the rules:

If a character kills an Enemy from a Dragon Card, in addition
to taking the Enemy as a trophy, he may claim the dragon
scale on his space and place it in his play area.

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,638 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:15 AM

GrimGuvna said:

I beleive zealot is refering to the situation where the character encounters a space and the dragon token present is not the dragon king so the players is choosing to encounter the space which happens to already contain an enemy from the dragon deck.

Now that I'm reading it again, he was exactly referring to that situation. As you say, Velhart has already given the right answer. By the way, he answered while I was replying.

#6 Nidhögg

Nidhögg

• Members
  • 209 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:33 AM

Maybee I played it wrong then.

Been playing that you must encounter the scale (and draw a new card) to have a chance to claim it, even if there already is a enemy on the space.

Also I played it that you get the scale if you defeat an enemy, not just an enemy from the Dragon-deck.

Example: The Troll lands on a hills space with a Red dragonscale and a Boar on it. He chose to encounter the Scale so he can claim it. He draws an object, but by defeating the boar he can claim the scale anyhow.

But yeah it's more thematic to get the scales only from Dragons (well and cultists I guess), from the Dragon-decks.

#7 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

Got it, thanks! This subtlety has been driving me crazy(:

There's an upside to encountering the scale in this case, if it's located on a harmful space(such as the Desert, or the Chasm). As you get to ignore the text on the space.

The downside of course,  is: you have to draw another Dragon card, risking to draw a strong Enemy  that may combine stats with the one already present on the space.

#8 zealot12

zealot12

• Members
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 10:06 PM

As a follow-up question,just to be  100% sure,  if there are two Dragon card Enemies on a space with a scale with different encounter numbers: if you defeat the first Enemy, do you get to claim the scale?Or do you have to defeat both?

I'd say you get the scale, if you defeat the first one.

#9 Osbo25

Osbo25

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 04:18 AM

zealot12 said:

As a follow-up question,just to be  100% sure,  if there are two Dragon card Enemies on a space with a scale with different encounter numbers: if you defeat the first Enemy, do you get to claim the scale?Or do you have to defeat both?

I'd say you get the scale, if you defeat the first one.

I agree.  All you have to do is defeat AN enemy.  You do not have to defeat ALL enemies.  Since the different encounter numbers constitute different battles, if you win the first you get to claim the scale.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS