TIE Fighter list for tournaments

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Nazull

Nazull

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:06 PM

Im going to a tournament and thing of takeing the following list. any advice would be great thanks.

List 1 = 100 points

84 pts . 7 TIE Fighters
16 pts . 1 Back Stabber

List 2 = 99 points

20 pts . Howlrunner + Swarm Tactics

17 pts . Mauler Mithel

16 pts . Dark Curse

15 pts . Winged Gundark

15 pts . Night Beast

16 pts . Back Stabber

#2 Fenrission

Fenrission

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:48 AM

I like the first list, think I will have to give that a try.

#3 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:56 AM

Here is the actual list I'm trying next tourniment:

100 points: 4 Academy Pilots, 4 Obsidian Pilots

I was tempted to put Howlrunner in there but it would cost me a TIE Fighter and Wedge so easily snipes off unique TIEs because he's initiative 9 and reduces their Agility by 1 and can carry Proton Torpedoes - twice I've lost a perfectly healthy TIE to a single salvo!

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters, 1 Lambda

25 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 76 kills versus 48 losses

#4 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 395 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:58 AM

Backstabber is 16 pts.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#5 Nazull

Nazull

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:03 AM

I like list 1 but list 2 I have lots more options.

I think TIE Fighter vs TIE Fighter list should end in a Draw 90% of the time (TIE, hehehe)

But if i use List 2 i have a chance to kill other TIEs and he will find it hard to kill me if you see what i mean.

Iif Mauler Mithel Shoots at someone within range one he gets 5 Attack Dice vs there 3 Deff dice

Like this Mithel Shoots at Range 1 he gets +1 Dice (from his card) and a 2nd +1 for being within range 1 like everyone else, when he dose this withing range 1 of Howlrunner he gets a 3rd +1 Attack Dice. = 5 Attack Dice

I think this list should do well vs someone that has my List one and should do well vs the other factions too.

I hope :)

#6 Nazull

Nazull

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:05 AM

R5Don4 said:

Backstabber is 16 pts.

thx mate

I dont have the Card with me and thought it was 15.

#7 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:02 AM

Mauler Mithel is still only rolling 4 attack dice at Range 1. Howlrunner just lets him reroll one of them. That is different than the 5 vs 3 you mentioned. 5 hits could take down an xwing in one turn, 4 hits cannot, unless you get the right critical damage cards.

With list one, you have to fly in formation to concentrate fire, which after turn 3 gets a little crazy, especially with asteroids. With list 2, you have more freedom to split up and attack from different angles. It's not always the squad you bring, it's also how you play it. I say play whichever suits your play style better. Either way, have fun!

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#8 Nazull

Nazull

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

I see my mistake on how i put that, sorry.

I meant it as 4 die but with a re-roll = 5 dice rolled.
As I have not rolled 4 hits on the first try. so the extra re-roll is nice.

Oh and one thing about that skill.. it dose not say how many ships can use it so i see as any ship at rang 1 of him gets to re-roll there dice.

I mean it as if i had 3 ships within 1 of him they all can re-roll 1 of there dice, Is that right?
OR
only 1 ship can re-roll there attack dice and not anyone else in range one?

#9 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

Nazull said:

List 2 = 99 points

17 pts . Mauler Mithel

16 pts . Dark Curse

15 pts . Winged Gundark

15 pts . Night Beast

16 pts . Back Stabber

The Sinister Six!  I just got my sixth TIE and I've been itching to try this one out.  This list can be as confusing to you as it is to your opponent, so fly accordingly.

#10 Nazull

Nazull

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:36 AM

qwertyuiop said:

Nazull said:

List 2 = 99 points

17 pts . Mauler Mithel

16 pts . Dark Curse

15 pts . Winged Gundark

15 pts . Night Beast

16 pts . Back Stabber

The Sinister Six!  I just got my sixth TIE and I've been itching to try this one out.  This list can be as confusing to you as it is to your opponent, so fly accordingly.

I am not usre about the 1 Swarm Tactics Skill. might change it for Expert Handling so that Howlrunner cant be killed out right from PTs.

Or give him and Mauler Determanition.

#11 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:43 AM

I like the second list.  It does only have 6 TIE's but six isn't a small squadron.  

A couple of recommendations, unless the tournament rules give you some advantage for being 99 points buy determination.  I think it is pretty worthless as an upgrade, but If it costs 1 point you weren't going to spend anyway then it is basically free.  But the main reason why I would take it comes from the FFG tournament rules from Gencon (I don't know if they have changed).

At Gencon we added up all the points of our surviving ships, if the battles ended early.  I litterally fought a battle where neither of us succeeded in killing a ship.  I ended up winning because he only spent 99 points.  We checked with the judges, it seemed a lame way to win but they confirmed that I won because my opponent didn't spend all of his points. 

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#12 Nazull

Nazull

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

Hrathen said:

I like the second list.  It does only have 6 TIE's but six isn't a small squadron.  

A couple of recommendations, unless the tournament rules give you some advantage for being 99 points buy determination.  I think it is pretty worthless as an upgrade, but If it costs 1 point you weren't going to spend anyway then it is basically free.  But the main reason why I would take it comes from the FFG tournament rules from Gencon (I don't know if they have changed).

At Gencon we added up all the points of our surviving ships, if the battles ended early.  I litterally fought a battle where neither of us succeeded in killing a ship.  I ended up winning because he only spent 99 points.  We checked with the judges, it seemed a lame way to win but they confirmed that I won because my opponent didn't spend all of his points. 

Yer that dose seam a bit strange.

I would of said the one with only 99 points spent would of won, Due to him getting the same as you but with useing less points.
OR add the number of points not spent on a Draw as the winning modifier. like if u spent 98 and i spent 99 u win the draw.

But each to there own ways of doing things.

#13 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 425 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:16 AM

I'm a big fan of the 7 TIE swarm. I personally like having low skill pilots as they can really interfere with higher skill pilots ability to get actions and even choice of attack. I've had some luck with this on in particular (but, you can easily swap out for other ships of your liking… though you should seriously consider keeping in Dark Curse as he's noticeably harder to kill since target lock and offensive focus tokens are not useful against him). 

16 Dark Curse
16 Backstabber
15 Night Beast
14 Black Squadron Pilot X2
13 Obsidian Squadron Pilot
12 Academy Pilot

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  4 A-Wing  •  2 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  5 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

#14 The_Brown_Bomber

The_Brown_Bomber

• Members
  • 1,878 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:11 AM

Hrathen said:

i recently played in a tournament where damag points (4vp per damage card/lost shield) were added to the sqd pts of the destroyed ships. this worked pretty well actually.

"There will be a substantial reward for anyone who finds the Millenium Falcon. You are free to use whatever means necessary, but I want them alive. No disintegration!".

Lord Vader

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS