Party Crashers (custom scenario)

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

It is Graduation Day at the Imperial Naval Academy on Carida. Many new soldiers, sailors, and airmen, as well as their families, friends, and Imperial Officers are in attendance. It is a joyous celebration of many months of intense training coming to an end, and the beginning of a new life in the Imperial Military. Newly appointed Imperial TIE Pilots are flying in a parade formation, overseeing the festivities. The Rebels, led by Wedge Antilles, would like to make it a day long remembered for another reason…

Imperial Squad:
Howlrunner with Squad Leader
6X Academy Pilot

Rebel Squad:
Wedge Antilles
3X Rookie Pilot

Setup:
The Imperial player will set up all of his ships first within Range 1 of his edge of the board. All Imperial ships must not be facing the Rebel Edge of the board. (This simulates the Imperial parade formation, and the surprise attack by the Rebels.)

The Rebel player will set up within Range 1 of his edge of the board.

No asteroids or other obstacles are to be used in this scenario. Normal rules for fleeing the battlefield apply to the Imperial player throughout the skirmish, and the Rebel player until round 5.

Reinforcements:
At the beginning of Round 5, the Imperial player must add 75 points of Imperial ships to his squad. These ships must start within Range 1 of the Imperial player's edge of the board. (This simulates scrambling more fighters once the attack is known.)

After the Imperial player has set up his 75 points of reinforcements, the Rebel player will also receive 75 points of reinforcements, in the form of Gold Squadron showing up to give Wedge a hand. The Rebel player's reinforcements will be as follows:
Dutch Vander with Ion Cannon and R2 Astromech
2X Gold Squadron Pilot with Ion Cannon

The Rebel player's reinforcements will set up within Range 1 of his edge of the board.

Since this is a hit and run mission, the Rebel ships may leave the battlefield at any time after round 5 by any edge of the battlefield, signifying that they have jumped to hyperspace and retreated back to their base.

Victory Conditions:
The Imperial player must defeat 100 points of Rebel ships for victory, or have a minimum of 68 points of ships alive after all Rebel ships have fled.

The Rebel player may claim victory  by having a minimum of 68 points of ships flee the battlefield. The Rebel player must destroy a minimum of 100 points of Imperial ships in order to claim victory.

Just a scenario I was thinking about. Thoughts?

#2 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:19 PM

Sounds fun, but I think (being a scenario) it would be good to specify what the Imperial reinforcement squad consists of as well. People could modify it from there to suit their taste or their available ships.

The problem with that is that you start having limitations of available models for many people. You have already maxed out my TIES with the scenario before the reinforcements arrive. They would have to all be made up of TIE advanced and recycled TIEs already killed. But maybe that's why you didn't prescribe the squad build for the reinforcements.

Another modification might be to have a trigger for the Imperial reinforcements besides counting rounds. Maybe place a satellite token on the board that one ship has to reach to relay the message for help. Then reinforcements can arrive 1 or 2 rounds later. But it would keep things less predictable.

Be seeing you.

#3 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:38 PM

I kept it open because I realize people may be limited as to what ships they have. And, if you think about it, it's an Imperial base, they could have any number of ships ready, so any combination is feasible. Maybe even Darth vader himself was overseeing this band of recruits…

I suppose I could leave all of the squads open. I just thought this would be a good combination of abilities and ships.

And I like the satellite idea. I was thinking of having something like "cameras" out there, but that could work, too.

#4 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

This looks fun.

I think between two players, 3 Y-Wings can be scrounged up along with the needed TIEs.  4x Black Squad and Mithel with Expert Handling would help maintain theme, and the inherent danger of increased numbers against the rebel ships.

#5 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:42 AM

It looks fun. The only problem I see is the wording on the reserves. The IMP may receive 75 points of reinforcements. If they choose not to take any, this leaves them with only the 92 points that started on table, leaving the Rebels unable to fulfill their victory conditions.

#6 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:14 AM

Ok, I edited the initial post to make my may into a must. :) Thanks for catching that. I'm sure there will be rules lawyers out there who would try that.

We're having friends over tonight, so we may end up trying this scenario out.

#7 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:24 AM

I've been a regular on the Flames of War Tournament scene for over 7 years.  I'm well acquainted with Rules Lawyers.

#8 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:25 AM

Double Post, my apologies.

#9 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:33 AM

Hmm, maybe 5 Black Squad Ties all with Determination would be a more thematic reinforcement.

#10 Emrico

Emrico

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:05 AM

qwertyuiop said:

Hmm, maybe 5 Black Squad Ties all with Determination would be a more thematic reinforcement.

With Howlrunner on the table, the most thematic reinforcements would be Obsidian Squadron pilots, as Howlrunner is the leader of Obsidian squadron

Jim.

Rebels: 3 YT-1300s, 6 X-Wings, 6 Y-Wings, 6 A-Wings, 6 B-Wings, 4 HWK-290s, 4 Z-95s, 3 E-Wings, 2 GR-75s, 1 CR-90
Imperials: 8 TIEs, 4 TIE Adv, 12 TIE Interceptors, 3 Firesprays, 6 TIE Bombers, 5 Lambdas, 3 TIE Defenders, 3 Phantoms

#11 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:46 PM

Do any of you have the 12 TIEs or so needed to do the reinforcements you suggest? I realize in practice you might be able to re-use some, but if your dice are good and manuevers strong, you might still have all your original Imp squad when reinforcements arrive.

I "only" have 7 TIEs and 3 TIE advanced, so if I played this it would have to be a trio of TIE advanced coming to the rescue.

Be seeing you.

#12 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 301 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:59 PM

I think this will be a load of fun to play. (I have 8 tie fighters, 2 tie advances+5 tie fighters, and 1 tie advance that I leave at the store for anyone who wants to use)

the only thing I would change is make the 75 points not mandatory. whatever you leave out is auto counted for the rebels though

#13 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:43 PM

I did not specify the 75 points of Imp reinforcements because I realize that many people won't have enough by themselves, but I thought between 2 (or more) people you would be able to field another 75 points. And it's an Imperial base, so it's conceivable to me that TIE advanced would come help. Maybe even Darth vader himself  was overseeing the ceremony.

I don't by myself have enough for the entire scenario, but amongst my group we do. That was my line of thinking.

#14 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 918 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 12:55 AM

It's a cool idea for a scenario. I don't have any opponents with a set. I just play mostly with my kids, and family that come over.

I might buy that 8th TIE fighter….it's tempting for no good reason. But after Wave 2 I will definitely have enough points to field a thematic version. I plan to start off with around 4 TIE Interceptors, so that ought to get near the mark. Or maybe 1 advanced with a couple Interceptor wingmen. I don't know if that would work out points-wise, but it should be close.

Be seeing you.

#15 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 859 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:02 AM

So, I played this scenario with my wife last night. Her defense dice were ice cold, so it was a slaughter. I think after playing this that I should add that the rebels have initiative, which won't matter until round 5, but will matter after that. I may also start out with Gold Squadron there round 1, so it's not such an advantage for the Imps.

Setup:

She decided to go with a 2 wings approach, which didn't work out very well for her, as she didn't get as much attacking in as she could have. In the next photo you can see better how i set mine up. I had my 6 AP's flying toward Howlrunner, as she was flying towards them.

Round 1 I turn all of my ships. I set Howlrunner too close, as she hit the back row.

Next round:

She flew away instead of flying towards the swarm, so i got shots and she didn't, which hurt her.

Beginning of round 3, she did K-4's with Wedge and his wingman, which put them right in my line of fire, and with her cold dice rolling, i took them out with minimal damage.

Round 4 I K-3 my TIEs

Beginning Round 5 reinforcements show up. She did take out 1 TIE, so i recycled that.

I managed to take out her Xwings, then I focused on Dutch, took him out, and won.

So, changes I would make:
1. Rebels have initiative from the start
2. All rebel ships are on the board at the beginning

I think that would make the scenario more like what I have in mind.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS