• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 keltheos

keltheos

• Members
  • 681 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:48 PM

http://store.fantasyflightgames.com/client/client_pages/sale2012.cfm?catid=22

HUGE discounts on the WHFRP line at the FFG store sale.

#2 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

oh man is right….

store.fantasyflightgames.com/client/client_pages/sale2012.cfm

jh

#3 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:44 PM

My main speculations:

• They're going to reproduce the dice packs , but needed some quick cash to fund them
  • Speculation of dumping the line as not profitable enough
  • Speculation of Reprint edition of the same fluff with corny rules tweaks
  • Selling it at a reasonable rate maybe to snag players
  • Dumping all the warehouse stock that didn't sell to make space
  • Didn't want to reprint the dice, but didn't want to discount just one product…
  • Realized their production values were too high to reach profitable sales goals so they could be taking a loss
  • Merry Xmas
  • They've put out what they feel is "enough" and just want to ride the remainder of the line
  • If this isn't profitable,   they hope people will maybe buy other things from their other stocklines
  • 'Macy's discount'
  • License issues for other lines
  • License issue for this line dredging up cash in the sale to pay for license issue
  • They're just feeling darned generous after a night of terrific dreams with three ghosts, tiny tim and…
  • They're terrified Zweihander will steal all of their clientele who don't play this game anyways because they play 2e but they're terrified anyways because a 2e insider fan has been feeding them false information about the army of 2e players who are outside the FFG stockade…
  • Maybe there really are only 5 people who play this game
  • They're going to release the next edition in Chinese
  • A reward to those of us who didn't buy all the stuff initially can pick it up on the cheap
  • ??? 

:)

jh

#4 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:55 PM

Pretty bummed. I love this game and have only been able to play a few times. I could just never find players. Such a massive sale, especially when the sale is next to lines such as wings of war and 2e does not bode well. Seems like WFRP3e just did not perform to their expectations. 

#5 master yoda

master yoda

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

What saddens me is that I sent an email to FFG after Gen Con this year stating my concern for the 3rd edition Fantasy RPG line. I told them that I feel in love with 3rd edition because I was new to roleplaying and hated not having cards with information on them. I don't want to flip through a book or write rulings in a small space or memorize a tome. And I loved that I didn't have to make these cards myself, like I was doing for another rpg, that I don't have anymore because of this game. I was given a response back within 24hrs saying that there is no need to worry, The Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay line is here to stay and that they have big plans for the future. I hope I wasn't lied too or that they twisted my concern because they are letting 3rd edition die and coming up with a new version.

Being a fan of FFG, for almost 10 years now, I can tell you that if your on the Holiday(black friday) sale you are on the way out. The only hope I see that this might not be true is that all of their novels are also on sale. Their new line of paperbacks is only 6 months old. So that seems odd and surprising to me.

I'm going to keep my fingers crossed that we get some type of news in the near future. We already know that the Enemy Within is on the boat, but what about past that. Are we going to see more POD's? Especially the rest of the Orders and Blessings.

I'm sadden that FFG cannot handle more than one line at a time. It seems like the Star Wars RPG is getting all the love, right now. I know its new and everyone is excited ( I'm looking forward to it because it is similar to Warhammer Fantasy) but this would be the perfect time to also bring Warhammer fantasy into the mix. Both of these RPG's are very similar. Which means maybe they could bleed fans into both.

*On another note i'm disappointed that they did not make cards for the Star wars RPG. I would have preordered it, if that was the case. now I'll just take my time getting that one.
** and when I say cards, I mean cards. not the tokens. The cards with talents, actions, wounds, insanities, etc. These all have rules on them. No need to memorize or keep checking a book, its right there.

#6 master yoda

master yoda

• Members
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:11 PM

I would like to also point out that they did not discount the Core Set. So maybe there is hope and this is just something to jolt interest.

#7 Glorian Underhill

Glorian Underhill

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:24 PM

I have to restrain myself a lot not to spent a 110$. As I have startet only a year before with the german version I'm trying to buy only german products, but have already broken that with Blackfire Pass and Hero's Call. These prices are just too good to miss.

And Money wise I think that they want to clear their storeroom. With the german and oher languages coming there will be reprint intervalls for them to produce most of these products a second time along with the other language versions. So no need in storing these boxes in their warehouses.

A Gathering Storm has hit shelves in german this november, so a reprint of these is already made. Signs of Faith and Winds of Magic is next. So if they want they know they can replentish their stock soon.

#8 socratim

socratim

• Members
  • 218 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:47 PM

Oh  Bugger! I would spend 90$ on this sale. But Shipping to Germany is 65$ and there surely is a considerable amount of taxes/ duties on that also…

*cries silently into his pillow*

edit: would cost me 119$ on shipping, taxes and duties…

#9 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:22 PM

master yoda said:

I would like to also point out that they did not discount the Core Set. So maybe there is hope and this is just something to jolt interest.

Would it not be smarterto discount the Core Set if the ultimate goal was to jolt interest? A discounted core set (and set of guides) could generate new players, where discounted expansion products only appeal to those that already own the game.

#10 Gambin

Gambin

• Members
  • 18 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:32 PM

Even if it is phased out I'm still going to enjoy playing WFRP.  I've still got a fair few adventures in the expansions that I haven't run yet and each of those usually take us 3-5 weeks of play (we really like to roleplay!).  Also there's loads of areas that I haven't even touched yet.

Something I'm quite keen in trying is making everyone worship one of the Chaos gods and give them one of those cards you get with the expansions and have the adventures basically be the opposite way round.  Eye for and eye where the players work in the manor and are trying to complete the ritual while some under cover heroes are trying to stop them.

#11 Alister

Alister

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:47 PM

It looks like "end series" sale especially when it's next to WFRP2ed sale …

#12 gmanjkd

gmanjkd

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

Saddly, FFG did the same thing with AT-43 and Confrontation a few years back,  Huge holiday sale that streatched out for weeks after the holidays until all of the stock was gone, then so were the games.  

To me it looks like they are dumping the license.  Why sell 2nd and 3rd ed side by side unless you are liquidating, and why liquidate in the 1st place?

I hope that I am totaly wrong, but it appears the writing is on the wall.   You don't discount products you can sell by 30% - 60%.  It drives the precieved value of a product down and only makes it harder to sell at full price. This looks more like a desperate attempt to cut losses or a sobering realization that they can not sell this game, so dump it to make room for something else.   To many signs to be good.  Jay moved to star wars, no release schedule for 2013, TEW took forever to come out, HUGE sale on product,  dice are no longer in production.   I agree with one of the other posters who said that if they were trying to generate interest they would discount the core box, but they are not.  Looks like they are not interested in generating any new interest.

Individually none of this is good.   All together is a BAD sign.

#13 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:45 AM

master yoda said:

I personally forsee a new run for the WFRP line in the near future. We'll most likely see a reprint/3.5 edition of the Core set (hence it not being on sale, they want people to buy the newer version on the horizon), with a cheaper buy in, and less components, but still compatible with any components that we already own.

#14 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:47 AM

gmanjkd said:

To me it looks like they are dumping the license.  Why sell 2nd and 3rd ed side by side unless you are liquidating, and why liquidate in the 1st place?

I'd have to disagree with you on this point. Warhammer Fantasy AND Warhammer 40k are the same license, and I don't think Fantasy Flight would be stupid enough to dump 40k right now, seeing as how it's one of the best selling RPGs on the market right now.

#15 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

Well, I just put my order in!  Lots of new stuff coming my way!!  

Food for thought:  If anyone was interested in having some "extra" dice for your group, the "Game Masters Vault" contains additional dice!!  AND it is priced at only $10 right now,.. THAT is a DEAL !! 

Goblin King, I HOPE you are right,…  

Question: Do you think they will credit their dealers with any current WFRP3e inventory they have on hand ??  

#16 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:54 AM

Yep.  The GMs vault is now priced lower than the old dice packs and it is the only remaining way to get dice for less tan $60. 

GM's vault also contains:

jh

#17 valvorik

valvorik

• Members
  • 1,967 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

The price discounts are similar on most of the stuff on sale in other areas.  Since they are not dumping core sets - which they do show as "in stock" on regular site that suggets to me it's just "moving stuff we want to move" and not "clearing out everything". 

It's clearly not "sale on everything" - there are lots of products across all the lines not being discounted (e.g., no sales of Warhammer 40,000 stuff, Arkham Horror Boardgame, Lord of the Rings or Cthulhu living card game) so there is some "moving surplus" logic likely at work.

If anything, the fact they have core sets but aren't selling them seems odd (why not try to get more people into game with discounted ones) but if they thought about it likely means "they're actually pretty confident on moving the core sets they have without a sale", not regarding themselves to be in surplus position on them.

They have the 2nd edittion licence and I don't begrudge 2nd Ed. fans sale prices on stuff if they want to stick with it, and for that matter I have all that stuff myself and about 2/3 only bought to cannibalize for 3rd edition - being an example of 3rd edition market support for 2nd edition stuff.

#18 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:40 AM

Here's the announcement page for the GMs vault:  www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

And I just like this old picture of the Player's Vault:www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp

#19 Captain Fluffy

Captain Fluffy

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:48 AM

I may just be an optimist but I am hoping the reason for this big sale is that they are paving the way for an issue of a revised set of boxes.  I love this game but I think the release of it has ended up a bit of a mess.  You routinely see people on this forum asking 'what do I buy?'. I can't think of many other RPGs where it is not clear what you need.  

I would like to see FFG re-release the game in revised packaging to try and encourage new players. The first thing you would need would be a revised set with rules from the ruinous powers quartet included. However they also need to make the core set cheaper so the way I would do it would be:-

Revised Core Set - All the normal rules included disease and mutation but no elves, magic or priests to keep the costs down. Include the human and dwarf careers from Adventurers Toolkit.

Revised Winds of Magic - All the magic rules and careers - including those originally in the core set

Revised Wind so Magic - All the divine rules and careers - including those in the original core set

Ruinous Power Set - All the chaos information from the 4 ruinous powers box sets.

This way it would be clear what you needed to play.  However you could only take this approach, which I think is needed (or at least something similar), if the stocks of the existing suppliments are reduced.  And yes it may well annoy a few players who are half way through buying the game through the original release system but it gives you a much better chance of getting new players.  Sadly I own the lot so the only benefit I can see to this sale is maybe picking up another cheap copy of omen's of war so I can get my hands on more serious injury cards.

Give me more fluff and less rules

Hear me on the Tabletop Chronicles Podcast
https://itunes.apple...ast/id670638100

#20 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:53 AM

I don't disagree that a "pull together" edition would be helpful, but we've already bought this game THREE times.  Once with the core boxes.  Once with the guides.  And, once again with the vaults.

Having a 4th release of this game would be a bit much IMHO and would pretty much hack the remaining player base in half, yet again, and not pick up enough players to bother.  I'd rather see more fluff-content-heavy products coming out.

If they hadn't gone the route of the "vaults" and guides", we'd already have six more products in our hands.

jh

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS