How many Force Packs?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 ImmortalJedi

ImmortalJedi

• Members
  • 69 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:01 AM

I know when you buy a Chapter Pack for the Game of Thrones LCG you get the max limit of 3 copies of each card.

For the Star Wars LCG, do we know yet of one Force Pack will also give you the max limit of each card?

#2 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

The announcement for the first cycle of Force Packs touched on this:

Because Star Wars: The Card Game introduces a new set-building design to our collection of LCGs, the distribution of cards in each Force Pack also differs from the model used for our other LCGs. Instead of gaining three copies of each new card, you’ll gain ten complete objective sets, including one copy of each “Limit 1” objective set and two copies of each other objective set.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3727

That should be six distinct pods per pack, four included twice per pack and two Limit 1 objectives.

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

First pack is "CONTAINS OBJECTIVE SETS 37-42"

www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_minisite_sec.asp

#4 FiendishDevil

FiendishDevil

• Members
  • 358 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

It'll probably break down to 1 new objective set per affiliation (Jedi, Sith, Imperial, Rebel, Spies, Bounty Hunters). And LS and DS will each get 1 limited objective set.

#5 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:01 PM

FiendishDevil said:

It'll probably break down to 1 new objective set per affiliation (Jedi, Sith, Imperial, Rebel, Spies, Bounty Hunters). And LS and DS will each get 1 limited objective set.

That only works if there are no neutral sets, which may be true, but we'll see.

#6 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,107 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:03 PM

Where will neutral objective sets fall in?

"To play a wrong note is insignificant. To play without passion is inexcusable."
– Beethoven

#7 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:38 PM

Given that 4 of the 6 Neutral pods in the Core Sets are Limit 1, I expect that a Neutral Light and a Neutral Dark pod will generally make up the two non-duplicated objectives in each Force Pack. That way, every faction can get some cards from a pack.

#8 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:12 AM

I don't see why we need to assume that LS/DS neutral objectives will see monthly representation. We'll see neutral cards within the objectives, but not necessarily neutral objectives. They'll probably show up in the deluxe expansions.

#9 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,761 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

There is also no guarantee that every faction/side will see even distribution each month. Probably at first but as the card pool deepens they will mix things up. Only time will tell.

#10 Pikciwok

Pikciwok

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

qwertyuiop said:

I don't see why we need to assume that LS/DS neutral objectives will see monthly representation. We'll see neutral cards within the objectives, but not necessarily neutral objectives. They'll probably show up in the deluxe expansions.

There's at least one neutral objective in Desolaton of Hoth Pack - Shadow on the Frost.

#11 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

Toqtamish said:

There is also no guarantee that every faction/side will see even distribution each month. Probably at first but as the card pool deepens they will mix things up. Only time will tell.

I'm assuming it because it's true for the rest of the LCGs. There isn't an even amount of cards for every faction in AGOT or LOTR or any of the others, but there are always cards available every month for each of them. Even the faction-specific Deluxe Packs provide cards for the rest of the card pool, even if it's just in the form of neutral cards.

You can't get cards for every faction into a Force Pack, but we know there'll be Neutral pods, and they'll be a pretty good way to get cards that'll improve the card pool for every faction. Of course I'm assuming based on our limited information about the distribution in Force Packs, but based on how FFG's done their previous LCGs, I think it's a fairly safe assumption.

#12 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:32 PM

Pikciwok said:

qwertyuiop said:

There's at least one neutral objective in Desolaton of Hoth Pack - Shadow on the Frost.

Thanks. 

It seems unlikely that we'll see actual factions skipped in force packs. Currently that means Jedi,Rebel, Sith, and Navy. The fringe factions don't quite count yet since they're not playable as single decks in the core set. Skipping fully fleshed out factions is a sure fire way to damage sales on some level, even if we're all a bunch of rabid Star Wars nerds. If I'm primarily a Sith player (which I may just be) and I have to go a month with no cards for my favorite faction, I am less likely to purchase the product. If I am primarily a Smugglers and Spies player, I'm living 8 months in the future, so it doesn't matter yet. But what happens when it does matter? More limit one objectives? Probably not. The neutral objectives will be fewer and farther between, and that is a good thing. Powerful neutral cards can have a tendency to become a faction of their own or take over an existing factio n. Look at the Skaven from WH:I in the early days. Yeah, there were only a few of them, but they basically took over whichever faction they were paired with. This was mitigated later on in a strange way with lizardmen and undead. You could make decks primarily using these neutral cards, but they kinda sucked,(well, not undead and dark elves) where the Skaven were still quite strong, As much as we joke to the contrary, none of us really wants 50 cards of Ewoks. It's a funny thought, but that's it. This isn't SWCCG.

#13 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 502 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 04:37 PM

Speak for yourself, I want a whole deck of Ewoks.

I would actually be surprised (and a bit upset) if we don't see Scum and Smuggler objectives in the Force Packs. Obviously neither affiliation is fully playable yet, but that's not a reason to actively avoid producing cards for them. Just the opposite, it's a reason to give us pods for the factions. I don't know how Warhammer handled the factions that weren't fully in the core set, but AGOT didn't avoid cards for Greyjoy and Martell before the expansions "introducing" them were put out.

If they don't give us any new Scum or Smuggler pods between now and their expansion, they'll pretty much always be behind in terms of their card pools. As it is, the objective set system allows a cycle to pretty much always keep the affiliations balanced. The Scum/Smuggler expansion will put those factions on equal footing, but I hope we can put together some decks for them (even if their not fully competitive), before the expansion is out.

#14 Fbaranow

Fbaranow

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:43 PM

I think so too. I hope to be able to make a Jedi / Smuggler and Rebel / Smuggler mixed decks once Hoth packs come out. 

#15 Skychapon

Skychapon

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:45 PM

In Warhammer Invasion, the first Battle Pack Cycle contains cards from High/Dark Elves, which Cycle was sold before the release of the Deluxe Expansion that "introduce" High/Dark Elves factions.

In the other hand, FFG has tried in the past a different approach on expansion pack. In the Captial Cycle of WHI, each pack contains a majority of cards of one unique faction and 1 card of the other factions. But, due to the limited pool of cards in the Star Wars LCG for now, I didn't think they do the same for the Hoth's Force Pack Cycle (maybe in future Force Pack Cycle?).

#16 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:07 AM

Skychapon said:

In Warhammer Invasion, the first Battle Pack Cycle contains cards from High/Dark Elves, which Cycle was sold before the release of the Deluxe Expansion that "introduce" High/Dark Elves factions.

In the other hand, FFG has tried in the past a different approach on expansion pack. In the Captial Cycle of WHI, each pack contains a majority of cards of one unique faction and 1 card of the other factions. But, due to the limited pool of cards in the Star Wars LCG for now, I didn't think they do the same for the Hoth's Force Pack Cycle (maybe in future Force Pack Cycle?).

Groovy. I did not know that. How has WH:I evolved as a game since the second cycle/MotD?  The game was still too dwarf-centric then, so I quit.

#17 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 765 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 08:44 AM

I'm thinking of Warhammer as being the model for this game, too. The Capital cycle was the fourth battle pack cycle, so I suppose it'll be a while before SW LCG gets anything similar, but I doubt we'll see Force packs that only have one or two factions' objective sets. It would make sense to have one for each so they sell to the maximum number of people, after all. So I'm assuming one objective set for each expansion, with four of them doubled up in some rota-fashion maybe. I'm also assuming the deluxe expansion will still provide cards for the four core factions, much as Assault on Ulthuan provided cards for the core races of Warhammer. 

Unfortunately, having only one objective set for your faction of choice within each Force pack, whether you get two copies of it or one, is going to make the game grow very slowly…

All art is quite useless

#18 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 230 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 03:29 PM

qwertyuiop said:

If I'm primarily a Sith player (which I may just be) and I have to go a month with no cards for my favorite faction, I am less likely to purchase the product. If I am primarily a Smugglers and Spies player, I'm living 8 months in the future, so it doesn't matter yet. But what happens when it does matter?

The thing though is that even if you're a Sith player you need to have a light side preference as well.  The way they can get away with neutrals while "neglecting some factions is alternating force paces that have all three factions of LS + neutrals + 1 faction of DS, then flip it next month.  Could that make the meta for one side stronger, sure but only for a month and since players are playing both sides they both have that advantage.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS