NIghtmare mode

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:20 PM

I just wonder how many players play a nightmare mode???

I start to play it much more often cose normal game for powerful decks what we have right now quite often is no challenge anymore. The nightmare mode is still challenge but the problem is too long.Also for solo game Nightmare mode  is more easy as i noticed then coop game.

So i done in solo Khazad-Dum, Hobbit and Long Dark-Foundation Stone-Shadow and Flame. I use my Elrond/Glorifindel(spirit)/Hama deck with eagles and Feint.

What about you?

Wizard is never late.......

Glaurung playtrough LOTR LCG on youtube :

http://www.youtube.com/user/olegyd   

#2 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:51 AM

I enjoy a good nightmare mode, though I am the complete opposite of you, Glaurung, and find it too difficult solo (never tried co-op)! I often end up houseruling that I begin the next scenario with the allies/attachments that I had at the end of the last scenario. I have to say, though, I've only ever played in this mode the Mirkwood quests. This xmas I'm planning a bit of a Moria-fest and flying through Khazad-dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle, though I don't expect great things…

I think my decks are too lore-y, with a focus on playing the story rather than playing to "win"…

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#3 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

spalanzani said:

I enjoy a good nightmare mode, though I am the complete opposite of you, Glaurung, and find it too difficult solo (never tried co-op)! I often end up houseruling that I begin the next scenario with the allies/attachments that I had at the end of the last scenario. I have to say, though, I've only ever played in this mode the Mirkwood quests. This xmas I'm planning a bit of a Moria-fest and flying through Khazad-dum and the Dwarrowdelf cycle, though I don't expect great things…

I think my decks are too lore-y, with a focus on playing the story rather than playing to "win"…

Yes i understand what you mean. For me is most important to win as i play before TCG like Magic or Lord of the ring by Decipher where you have opponent and there is only 1 purpose, defeat him.

#4 JCourtney

JCourtney

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

Are you playing the older packs with the newer card pool or what?  I'm certainly not having an easy time by any means. 

#5 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

I did a nightmare run through the entire Dwarrowdelf cycle a couple months ago. Managed to get to S&F, but an ill-timed shadow effect in Foundations of Stone discarded my hand (including my last Will of the West) and left me unable to reshuffle. Durin's Bane made short work of me.

Really fun way to play.

#6 Emrad

Emrad

• Members
  • 65 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:15 AM

At some point, my friends and I played the Nightmare mode, and one day, one of them got that now mythic line:

"Guys, you actually reboot the game as if you were starting one from scratch".

And yes we did actually do that. After at least 2 quests, we would set the threat back to its original level, heal every character, and a nice graveyard to loot.

So in the end, it was just totally pointless. We now just reset the game the old way.

And yes we use every cards that's issued, no matter the set.

#7 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:28 AM

JCourtney said:

Are you playing the older packs with the newer card pool or what?  I'm certainly not having an easy time by any means. 

JCourtney said:

Yes i always use all current players cards doesn matter which quest i try to defeat. I didn say Nightmare mode is easy. Buy is more easy solo then coop in my opinion.

Anyway all of this depend on your deck. If you have a good deck, your chance to win increase a lot. So is very, very important to choose right heroes ans make a good synergy deck for them. This is 75% of success. Then you need luck and player skill. But deck building and player skill is one. You cannot separate this 2 things!

When i play solo i try to create a powerful deck which one can defeat any quest. then if  you wont play with your friend who also have a strong deck , you just change your decks a bit to have a good synergy between them. So of you have a good 2 decks to play and wins against BOTLT and MAO all other quests looks boring and easy. Difficult 4 or 5??? This is a joke and dont even deserve attention.

For example: My Thorin Company deck can play 3-4 allies per turn +other support cards and can draw also 3-4 cards per turn. Encounter deck play 1 or if surge 2 cards. Maybe 3 with a good luck with surge but this happen very rare. So after 3 turns i dont really care what encounter deck is playing! Who care! Encounter play 1 cards maybe not even enemy but i play 3-4 allies. So balance is broken cose i quickly overwhelm encounter deck.Ok in Nightmare mode i should play more careful cose i need t play 3 quests in 1 go. So this is still challenge. But honest to say Thorin Company deck is to powerful and there is something wrong with the rules and balance in this game.  Need to fix it. I still believe unlimited draw and hand size bring only problem. As i remember all card games( which ones i use to play) which start with  unlimited draw and hand size always soon or later get the new rules which is limited that.Very good example previpus Lord of the ring TCG from Decipher.

#8 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:32 AM

Emrad said:

At some point, my friends and I played the Nightmare mode, and one day, one of them got that now mythic line:

"Guys, you actually reboot the game as if you were starting one from scratch".

And yes we did actually do that. After at least 2 quests, we would set the threat back to its original level, heal every character, and a nice graveyard to loot.

So in the end, it was just totally pointless. We now just reset the game the old way.

And yes we use every cards that's issued, no matter the set.

Maybe you still play with old Nightmare rule from the core set. This rule have some changes in FAQ. Yes before it was really easy (which is show to us how designers do they job)  and they change it quite quickly.

#9 richsabre

richsabre

the REAL Gandalf.....

• Members
  • 4,754 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:39 AM

never tried it- i would die pretty quickly methinks

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#10 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 798 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:43 AM

Glaurung said:

For example: My Thorin Company deck can play 3-4 allies per turn +other support cards and can draw also 3-4 cards per turn. Encounter deck play 1 or if surge 2 cards. Maybe 3 with a good luck with surge but this happen very rare. So after 3 turns i dont really care what encounter deck is playing! Who care! Encounter play 1 cards maybe not even enemy but i play 3-4 allies. So balance is broken cose i quickly overwhelm encounter deck.

It's usually my luck that I would draw 3-4 events in that hand, that often don't help in the precise situation I'm in. I very rarely get allies when I need them, or events when I need them, and even when I try to set things up with the Stargazer or Gildor I usually fall foul of the encounter deck and have to discard the top card or two from my deck, so that placement was for nothing. In solo I find it difficult to have the people in place to arrange my deck, arrange the encounter deck, and still have them left over to quest enough, defend enough, and attack enough! But then we're back to my problem of having too lore-y decks 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#11 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:38 PM

spalanzani said:

Glaurung said:

For example: My Thorin Company deck can play 3-4 allies per turn +other support cards and can draw also 3-4 cards per turn. Encounter deck play 1 or if surge 2 cards. Maybe 3 with a good luck with surge but this happen very rare. So after 3 turns i dont really care what encounter deck is playing! Who care! Encounter play 1 cards maybe not even enemy but i play 3-4 allies. So balance is broken cose i quickly overwhelm encounter deck.

It's usually my luck that I would draw 3-4 events in that hand, that often don't help in the precise situation I'm in. I very rarely get allies when I need them, or events when I need them, and even when I try to set things up with the Stargazer or Gildor I usually fall foul of the encounter deck and have to discard the top card or two from my deck, so that placement was for nothing. In solo I find it difficult to have the people in place to arrange my deck, arrange the encounter deck, and still have them left over to quest enough, defend enough, and attack enough! But then we're back to my problem of having too lore-y decks 

so there is something wrong with your deck then. Of course of you build up the deck and just put the cards without thinking about how they work together….. yes you will get this kind of results what  you have. And of course you will lose most of the time. On this game deck building is really important. So you must ot play attention to your deck building more.

Also i think i want to try one more house rules to make a single game more hard. In the end of combat when you discard a shadow cards you discard cards withou shadow effect but all cards with shadow effect, victory points ans objective cards you shuffle back into encounter deck. So you till need deal witn them again. I think this rule make encounter deck more powerful on the later phases of game.

#12 OnkelZorni

OnkelZorni

• Members
  • 75 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:42 AM

Glaurung said:

Also i think i want to try one more house rules to make a single game more hard. In the end of combat when you discard a shadow cards you discard cards withou shadow effect but all cards with shadow effect, victory points ans objective cards you shuffle back into encounter deck. So you till need deal witn them again. I think this rule make encounter deck more powerful on the later phases of game.

I don't belong to the die hard gamers that want DL 20 scenarios, but I really like this idea for certain quests

#13 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:10 AM

OnkelZorni said:

Glaurung said:

I don't belong to the die hard gamers that want DL 20 scenarios, but I really like this idea for certain quests

I still believe if this game will have a system when players card increase and lower difficult of any quest will satisfied any player.

Anyway you can always also make encounter deck more powerful by duplicate some powerful cards.

#14 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

Here is my Nightmare solo results:

Khazad-Dum

1. 93 point

2. 110 points

3. 59 points

Total: 262 points

Deck: Aragorn(Lore)/Frodo/Glorifindel(Spirit). The idea of the deck take all damage to Frodo, Convert it to threat and remove it by Aragorn in the end of each quest. Work pretty fine for Nightmare.

#15 Glaurung

Glaurung

• Members
  • 1,836 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Looks like with HON difficulty increse and new nightmare card set for previous quests FFG abandon the idea of previous nightmare mode.

And i think this is right desicion! No much players use it anyway.Also this is too long to play. Instead make quests more easy to make them able to play 2 or 3 on 1 go better make a single game more interesting and hard. This is just my thinking so maybe im wrong but hope i dont.

#16 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 12:30 AM

Glaurung said:

Instead make quests more easy to make them able to play 2 or 3 on 1 go better make a single game more interesting and hard.

I definitely agree with you. It's hard to get all the time necessary for that game mode.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS