Alternate Career Ranks

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 enabskira

enabskira

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:41 AM

I have a question regarding two alternate ranks in the Inquisitor's Handbook, the Templar Calix of the Scholastia Psykana (pg 80) and the Mechanicus Secutor (pg 68). Under the "Becoming" section of each alternate rank they talk about it being likely that as the acolyte spends experience they will advance several ranks in their career. Does that mean that this alternate rank covers more than one rank of the career? If so doesn't that mean these extra ranks advances are treated as elite advances if the GM were to allow them? And how would you determine how many ranks of the original career are replaced by these alternate ranks?

Any opinions on this would be appreicated.

#2 Nameless2all

Nameless2all

• Members
  • 638 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

The way I understood it was that these Alternate Careers consume a PC's whole lvl in their Career scheme.  Only 1 lvl mind you, not 2-3.  So, it's just like you being at lvl 1, and buying everything in your lvl 1 tree.  Some of those EXP points you spent made you go into and over the lvl 2 rank threshold.  Same goes for these Alternate Careers.  If you spend all your Exp in this Alternate Career rank, then you are entitled to the free benefits of it's huge amount of skill, talents, etc, selection.  That is how I viewed it, because, just as you stated, those Alternate Career choices only consume 1 rank in that PC's chosen profession.  Nothing more  or less, unless explicitly (not inferred) stated.

For a collection of fan created material, please refer to the link below. Some of it was edited/created by myself and friends, while most is other fan material. Happy gaming people.https://drive.google.com<p>-"May your endeavors always be prosperous, though they may not always be profitable."

#3 Macharias the Mendicant

Macharias the Mendicant

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 06:01 AM

I don't have my book with me, but I'm pretty sure that Nameless2all has it right: it replaces a given rank. So it's a one to one trade.

Ex: My Assassin took the Moritat Alternate Rank at R6. It replaces the Death Adept rank. R7 and R8 are Nihilator and Imperator Mortis (I think those are the right names…)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS