• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

amazing……whats everyone else think, overpowered? boring? underwhelming?

such a simple ability, but not to be sniffed at by any measure

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Really good. Dain-lite, but able to attack and defend without sacrificing his global buff. Only downside is the fact that he'll be competing for space against the other version of Boromir, which is also exceptional. 

Needs a deck built around him (obviously), but that shouldn't be a big issue. He's a stud.

#3 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

He's a bit like a Gondorian Dain character, although his ability could be better, since it only relies on unspent resources. I like it very much: it's pretty thematic for Boromir, it's a simple mechanic, and it does make the Gondor allies kicking around already that bit more punchy.

And as a plus, it doesn't seem overpowered to me.

#4 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:55 AM

starhawk77 said:

Only downside is the fact that he'll be competing for space against the other version of Boromir, which is also exceptional. 

A pretty big downside! :)

A Boromir twins deck, perhaps?

#5 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

• Members
  • 89 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:08 AM

LOVE IT! I really like this sphere. I'm going to absolutely build something around this guy!!! I am more excited about this one than I can express (without swearing). The quests should be excellent…(5B!)

But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.

#6 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:15 AM

looking at some of the bad guys coming up i have a feeling we shall need the son of gondor

#7 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:17 AM

I find him 'okay' at best.

Outside the battlefields where ATK is WILL, he won't be bringing too much to the table. I hope for more Gondor 1cost allies, because I really want to like new-Boromir. Otherwise, he is only 'okay'.

monkeyrama said:

starhawk77 said:

Only downside is the fact that he'll be competing for space against the other version of Boromir, which is also exceptional. 

A pretty big downside! :)

A Boromir twins deck, perhaps?

Unique rule.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#8 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:19 AM

Also… 5b? 

Holy moses, those will be long sieges indeed.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

#9 OnkelZorni

OnkelZorni

• Members
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:59 AM

cordeirooo said:

Also… 5b? 

Holy moses, those will be long sieges indeed.

that's great, I hate building decks for hours and then rushing through a scenario in a couple of rounds. Hope too see longer lasting adventures and more playing-time :)

#10 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:06 AM

Neat. Still the Tactics Boromir really is do good that it will be a very hard choice. I am sure the Leadership version will prove invaluable in some of the battle heavy quests but for now I think I stick to the ever ready version. 

#11 Narsil0420

Narsil0420

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

I love the new Boromir! His art is a huge improvement, first off. I also really like the mechanic of him only inspiring Gondor ALLIES. Boromir impresses his people but he's not someone to impress the likes of Aragorn or other heroes. That fits really well, thematically, for me. Also the fact that he needs resources to do it adds a hint of corruption to the ability (to my mind) which is, again, perfect for Boromir. Finally all those Guard(s) of the Citadel will see some play!!!

I also really enjoyed having some insight into the design process. Especially compared to the the other ideas, the Battle and Seige keywords really are an elegant mechanic to add to the game! I love that instead of adding something extra to the game, they're using the pre-existing structures of the game (questing and location exploration) in a unique and thematic way!

I'm so freaking stoked for this now, even if I have to wait until after Thanksgiving for it!

#12 Mighty Jim

Mighty Jim

• Members
  • 505 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:33 AM

I can see the thematic nature, which is nice (like Boromir v1)

right now, I think this card is pretty mediocre, because of the very limited range of Gondor allies out there, although obviously, we'd expect to see that grow a lot over the next cycle.

Biggest disappointment about this, is the fact that it pretty much guarantees no Faramir hero in the box (I assume it's two heroes again, and they've already spoiled Beregond) typical big brother hogging the limelight.

#13 John85

John85

• Members
  • 261 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:41 AM

More Magali . Don't misunderstand me, her work is beautiful, I'd just like to see a little more variety.

#14 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:17 AM

Mighty Jim said:

Biggest disappointment about this, is the fact that it pretty much guarantees no Faramir hero in the box (I assume it's two heroes again, and they've already spoiled Beregond) typical big brother hogging the limelight.

Agreed… was hoping to see my favorite character (Faramir) as a hero… although I LOVE his ally version right now (questing beast)…

I actually think this version of Boromir is FAN-FLIPPING-TASTIC.  Or can be….

With his top-notch attack numbers and solid defense ability, he of course becomes an instant candidate to lead the battle/siege quests…

Combine him (Leadership) with his father, Denethor (Lore), who has excellent defense (+3) and thus a great selection for siege battles, and include Beregond (Tactics, 4 defense) for even better defense and siege abilities, or Eleanor (Spirit, Treachery swap/discard) for lower cost and the access to Blood of Numenor (for even more defense).

Of course, we expect to see a decent number of Gondor allies through this next cycle, so his ability will only get better, making both the attacking and questing (during battles) that much more fluid.

With his  Leadership affiliation, this makes "For Gondor!" (+1 attack/defense) an instant-include into his decks, and his ability means that even the Horn of Gondor will see renewed usage (and Steward of Gondor will of course remain a mainstay in every deck)…

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#15 Shiv@n

Shiv@n

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:48 AM

What do I told you ? Boromir !!!

#16 monkeyrama

monkeyrama

• Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:29 AM

benhanses said:

Combine him (Leadership) with his father, Denethor (Lore), who has excellent defense (+3) and thus a great selection for siege battles, and include Beregond (Tactics, 4 defense) for even better defense and siege abilities, or Eleanor (Spirit, Treachery swap/discard) for lower cost and the access to Blood of Numenor (for even more defense).

Of course, we expect to see a decent number of Gondor allies through this next cycle, so his ability will only get better, making both the attacking and questing (during battles) that much more fluid.

With his  Leadership affiliation, this makes "For Gondor!" (+1 attack/defense) an instant-include into his decks, and his ability means that even the Horn of Gondor will see renewed usage (and Steward of Gondor will of course remain a mainstay in every deck)…

This might be one of the things I like most about him: his ability itself works with the pool of Gondor attachment cards we already have (small though it may be), and he makes the 'For Gondor!' event even more powerful. He may not be the most powerful hero - although the lack of Gondor allies will, of course, be fixed in the same box he comes in - but he fits so neatly into the sparsely developed theme we do have for Gondor so far. Excited!

#17 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:46 AM

John85 said:

More Magali . Don't misunderstand me, her work is beautiful, I'd just like to see a little more variety.

i agree- though we seem to be a minority. love the art, but magali is better at elves

#18 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

richsabre said:

John85 said:

i agree- though we seem to be a minority. love the art, but magali is better at elves

I agree 100% on 'Magali is better at elves".

#19 Shiv@n

Shiv@n

• Members
  • 86 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:39 PM

boardgamegeek.com/thread/887207/picked-this-up-tonight-spoilers

Full spoiler list on BGG

#20 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,810 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:07 PM

some great cards there- you know what im going to say though……pictures anyone?

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS