Photo

Do you like deck building more than playing the game?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cunir

Cunir

• Members
  • 186 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:44 AM

I was just wondering if anyone spends more time looking through the cards and building decks than they do playing the actual game. I can spend ages and ages building the perfect deck and only play it a few times, before i go back and try and improve it again.

if i lose a quest a few times then that pretty much means i won't try it again until i have redone the deck. so i am always redoing the decks.

i reckon i spend 75% of the time buildings decks and only 25% playing the game. thats not a moan though, because that's how i like it. and you dont need as much space to do decks either, you can just have a look through whilst watching the telly

how does it split up for you?

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

yeah i guess i do, though i would add 'admiring the theme and art' to deckbuilding which i guess you do to

mine would be 60% building, 40% playing

rich

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 shipwreck

shipwreck

• Members
  • 194 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:22 AM

No.

However, the game is far more enjoyable with a good deck. I suppose it all depends on if I 'get it' or not. If I have a good idea for a deck, then that's fun; if the deck works, it's even more fun.

#4 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,300 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Luckily, no. I took some pre-built decks and put those together myself, tweaking with each AP. Maybe spent 3 hours total on deck-building, compared to 154 plays (haven't played in 3+ months).

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#5 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 07:44 AM

Yes!

I love to build decks, tinkering for hours and not that much playing.
Luckily I have people to play my decks very often. 

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#6 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:21 AM

Not really. I think that the player card pool is still small, and many of the themes and mechanics are not well-developed yet, so there aren't much options when it comes to deckbuilding (if you want a good deck, that is).

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#7 Brownmantle

Brownmantle

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

Playing the game for me. I tend to win on rare occasions because my decks are so deglected. I steal deck lists off the net so I can set something up quick and play a game. I really enjoy the quests…

But if it be a sin to covet honour,
I am the most offending soul alive.

#8 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Gizlivadi said:

… there aren't much options when it comes to deckbuilding (if you want a good deck, that is).

Oh, you're wrong here.
There is a lot of possibilities to build new, exciting and powerful decks with what we already have.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

#9 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,835 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

i spend alot of time (most actually) developing theme decks so this adds alot of time as well

theyre also not great so need alot of work and tweaking!

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#10 CJMatos

CJMatos

• Members
  • 393 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:47 AM

I like playing more… Even if it seems strange, i like playing with decks built by me or by others.

What makes me love this game is the fun i find in playing it, even if i lose at the 2nd round…

I guess 75% playing, 25% deckbuilding.

Carlos José Matos

#11 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

CJMatos said:

[…] even if i lose at the 2nd round…

Oooo, I know that feeling pretty well. Probably for different reasons though; I'm a good builder, but seriously, I'm a pretty bad player…
When I play alone, I usually have to cheat because I forgot stuff. I have no patience when my friends aren't here and usually don't do obvious stuff (like questing with Arwen and giving the bonus to Burning Brand'd Bilbo because she is hiding under one of the deck's hands), so I keep ctrl+z 'ing very often.

#12 benhanses

benhanses

• Members
  • 353 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:59 PM

cordeirooo said:

Gizlivadi said:

… there aren't much options when it comes to deckbuilding (if you want a good deck, that is).

Oh, you're wrong here.
There is a lot of possibilities to build new, exciting and powerful decks with what we already have.

I would fall somewhere in between the two of you.  This game is still "young" and has nowhere near the card base of some other games, of course (AGOT, Cthulu, etc).  So it does suffer a natural repetitiveness when it comes to seeing certain cards in various decks.  I guarantee you that 90% of decks (given that access to the entire database of cards is equal) have some combinations of those "power" cards that most of us are now familiar with:  SoG, PoL, Feint, Spirit cancel cards, etc, etc, etc….  And there's nothing wrong with that.  As the game progresses, we'll see a wider selection and more variety, and some of these cards (as good as they are) will be replaced in certain decks due to mechanics, errata, new options, deck flow, etc…  But for right now it IS somewhat limited.

Where I do think this game is starting to do well is its widening range of hero types and actions.  This allows for your core combos and mechanics to be completely different from someone else's deck even if you share, say, 75% of the same cards in your deck.  A fellowship of Glorfindel, Loragorn, and Theodred  will play a lot different than one of Gloin, Beravor, and Frodo.  Hell, even decks that have the alternate version of the same characters will be radically different, even if their "support" cards are similar in selection.  Loragorn, Glorfindel (Spirit), and the new Boromir (Leadership), will be COMPLETELY different in deck mechanics than Aragorn (Leadership), Glorfindel (Lore), and the old Boromir (Tactics).

/ramble…..

"... but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend...."       -Faramir, The Lord of the Rings, Book IV, The Window of the West)

"Since it is so likely that children will meet cruel enemies, let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."     - C.S. Lewis

#13 DarthJalapeno

DarthJalapeno

• Members
  • 92 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:50 PM

I don't have enough time to do proper deckbuilding.

The free time I have I use to play the game rather than building decks for it.

#14 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 814 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:58 AM

richsabre said:

i spend alot of time (most actually) developing theme decks so this adds alot of time as well

theyre also not great so need alot of work and tweaking!

I do this too! They often need far too much work and tweaking when I do it, though, sadly! Hence - 

DarthJalapeno said:

I don't have enough time to do proper deckbuilding.

The free time I have I use to play the game rather than building decks for it.

I find myself in this predicament as well, though I suppose it would be more accurate for me to say I would like to use the free time I have in playing the game, though inevitably it's given over to fiddling with cards and such. I haven't really played this game since August/early September when the Hobbit box came out - I definitely want to get back into it but the task of building a deck to do so has so far meant I've put the box back on the shelf for the time being… 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#15 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:43 AM

benhanses said:

cordeirooo said:

Gizlivadi said:

Oh, you're wrong here.

I would fall somewhere in between the two of you.  This game is still "young" and has nowhere near the card base of some other games, of course (AGOT, Cthulu, etc).  So it does suffer a natural repetitiveness when it comes to seeing certain cards in various decks.  I guarantee you that 90% of decks (given that access to the entire database of cards is equal) have some combinations of those "power" cards that most of us are now familiar with:  SoG, PoL, Feint, Spirit cancel cards, etc, etc, etc….  And there's nothing wrong with that.  As the game progresses, we'll see a wider selection and more variety, and some of these cards (as good as they are) will be replaced in certain decks due to mechanics, errata, new options, deck flow, etc…  But for right now it IS somewhat limited.

Where I do think this game is starting to do well is its widening range of hero types and actions.  This allows for your core combos and mechanics to be completely different from someone else's deck even if you share, say, 75% of the same cards in your deck.  A fellowship of Glorfindel, Loragorn, and Theodred  will play a lot different than one of Gloin, Beravor, and Frodo.  Hell, even decks that have the alternate version of the same characters will be radically different, even if their "support" cards are similar in selection.  Loragorn, Glorfindel (Spirit), and the new Boromir (Leadership), will be COMPLETELY different in deck mechanics than Aragorn (Leadership), Glorfindel (Lore), and the old Boromir (Tactics).

/ramble…..

Yeah, nor 8 nor 80.
You are probably right, actually.

There will always be staple cards, though, any game has that, but the staple-generic cards like Gandalf (core) are being dissipated into nothingness.
I use this same Gandalf in my Théodred/Bifur secrecy deck, but not Sneak Attack.

#16 13edl@m

13edl@m

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

I have to say I'm probably 50/50.  To my mind I look at it like the difference between strategy and tactics.  The deck building being the strategy and the playthrough involving the tactics.  Because we play four player we're always discovering new ways for our decks to synergize in the middle of the game. 

Pulling off in game shenanigans like straightening Arwen with a spare-hood and  then using valiant sacrifice after bofur leaves play to pull a  strength of will to use her ability again during travel phase to save a hero from certain doom(with that handy +1 D) at the hands of smaug is an ecstatic experience to me, and it involves three of four decks synergizing in ways that are almost completely unpredictable.  

Deckbuilding around cards that don't see a lot of play(like peace and thought)  is a good challenge and sometimes playing is just about passing the litmus test for a certain strategy.

Just my two cents though.

#17 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 02:02 PM

13edl@m said:

Deckbuilding around cards that don't see a lot of play(like peace and thought)  is a good challenge and sometimes playing is just about passing the litmus test for a certain strategy.

Just my two cents though.

May be just me, but I find Peace and Thought one hell of a card. I used 2 in my dwarven deck and it rocked every time I drawn it.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS