Photo

Escape-ing from Dol Guldur with a single core set card pool.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Advosan

Advosan

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:20 PM

Two consecutive victories! Here it is:

Escape from Dol Guldur.
One Core Set card pool.
Two Hands.

A) First Hand: "MonoSpirit". Eleanor, Eowin, Dunhere with the entire Spirit deck + Gandalf X 3.

Total: 32 cards

B) Second Hand: "The Fellowship" TriSphere.

Total: 44 cards

Heroes:
LD: Theodred
LR: Denethor
TC: Legolas

Allies:
Guard of the Citadel X 3
Faramir X 2
Snowbourne Scout X 3

Miner of the Iron Hills X 2
Daughter of Nimrodel X 3
Henemarth Riversong X 1

Gondorian Spearman X 3

Gandalf X 1

Total : 18

Attachments:

Steward of Gondor X 2
Celebrian 's Stone X 1

Blade of Gondolin X 2
Dwarven Axe X 2
Horn of Gondor X 1

Protector of Lorien X 2
Self Preservation X 2

Total: 12

Events:

Sneak Attack X 2

Feint X 2
Quick Strike X 2
Swift Strike X 1

Lore of Imladris X 3
Radagast's Cunning X 2
Secret Paths X 2

Total: 14

Tips:
a. Objectives management: First take Gandalf's Map to finish stage 1. Then i/ free the prisoner, ii/ kill the Nazgul, iii/ place a lot of progress in stage 2 quest and only then iv/ pick up the Torch and the Key.
b. Northern Trackers are vital.

#2 leptokurt

leptokurt

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

Intersting approach, although if Théodred or one of the other two "Fellowship" heroes are the prisoner you might have a problem, having no songs at all.

The biggest problem is that almost all players here use the official tournament deck restriction which is a minimum of 50 cards for each decks. The only way to get around this is to use the suggested mono decks in the core set with one additional Gandalf. So if you'd put two Gandalf's from the first hand into your second hand and you'd add six more songs, you could label your decks "official".

#3 Advosan

Advosan

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:39 AM

leptokurt said:

Intersting approach, although if Théodred or one of the other two "Fellowship" heroes are the prisoner you might have a problem, having no songs at all.

The biggest problem is that almost all players here use the official tournament deck restriction which is a minimum of 50 cards for each decks. The only way to get around this is to use the suggested mono decks in the core set with one additional Gandalf. So if you'd put two Gandalf's from the first hand into your second hand and you'd add six more songs, you could label your decks "official".

Four victories so far, prisoners: Dunhere X 2 , Legolas , Denethor.

I see your point, I too thought that having a "fellowship" hero prisoner would cause many problems, but surprisingly the "fellowship" deck never had a real problem so far. I will try it with Eowin, Eleanor and Theodred as prisoners and see how it goes. But so far I am extremely satisfied. 

I too like to follow the 50 card rule, but EfDG simply couldn 't be beaten with two dual-sphere single core set hands, which is the only way to get two 50 card vanilla decks. And it really bothered me that a core game scenario couldn 't be beaten with just the core set cards, even by bending the 50 card rule. And adding the songs or any other expansion cards simply wasn't good enough, I wanted to pass it by using only one core set card pool.

#4 Advosan

Advosan

• Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:02 AM

Ok, I have slightly modified the decks in order to make them "tournament". The changes are in bold. I added Valiant Sacrifice and Gleowine in order to include some card drawing mecanisms, since I totally lacked any. 

A) First Hand: "MonoSpirit". Eleanor, Eowin, Dunhere with the entire Spirit deck + Gandalf X 1.

Total: 30 cards

B) Second Hand: "The Fellowship" TriSphere.

Total: 50 cards

Heroes:
LD: Theodred
LR: Denethor
TC: Legolas

Allies:
Guard of the Citadel X 3
Faramir X 2
Snowbourne Scout X 3

Miner of the Iron Hills X 2
Daughter of Nimrodel X 3
Henemarth Riversong X 1

Gleowine X 2 

Gondorian Spearman X 3

Gandalf X 3

Total : 22

Attachments:

Steward of Gondor X 2
Celebrian 's Stone X 1

Blade of Gondolin X 2
Dwarven Axe X 2
Horn of Gondor X 1

Protector of Lorien X 2
Self Preservation X 2

Total: 12

Events:

Sneak Attack X 2

Valiant Sacrifice X 2

Feint X 2
Quick Strike X 2
Swift Strike X 1

Lore of Imladris X 3
Radagast's Cunning X 2
Secret Paths X 2

Total: 16

The new decks do perform pretty nice, 2/3 victories so far, prisoners Legolas (lost) Eleanor (won) Dunhere (won). 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS