the missing skill lip reading

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zdron

zdron

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:45 AM

I requirer help in finding info on the lip reading skill. some certin seneschal wants to implement.

#2 Fgdsfg

Fgdsfg

Lrod-Iniquitsor

• Members
  • 1,751 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 12:08 AM

There is no Lip Reading skill in Rogue Trader. If someone wants to lip-read, you'll have to substitute it with Perception or Awareness.

My guess is that it was simply considered too narrow in usage.

If you really want to represent it mechanically, I would make it a cheap talent that allows you to use Awareness to read lips.

Real men earn their fun

Unified WH40kRP Ruleset Homebrew - Personal Notes
Talking Necrons. Dreadknights. Centurion Armour. Sororitas-murdering Grey Knights.
These things are dumb and do not exist. This is non-negotiable and undebatable.

#3 Macharias the Mendicant

Macharias the Mendicant

• Members
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:49 AM

Fgdsfg said:

There is no Lip Reading skill in Rogue Trader. If someone wants to lip-read, you'll have to substitute it with Perception or Awareness.

My guess is that it was simply considered too narrow in usage.

If you really want to represent it mechanically, I would make it a cheap talent that allows you to use Awareness to read lips.

Lip Reading is totally too narrow in my view. I remember picking it up in DH and I rarely used it. Felt like a waste of XP. Much better to fold it into something like Scrutiny (or some other Perception-based skill, if you feel it's more appropriate.)

#4 ShadowFighter88

ShadowFighter88

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

I agree, it would be best rolled into an existing Perception skill - I'd be tempted to use Scrutiny for a bit of cold reading as well.  How many seneschals or even Rogue Traders wouldn't want to be able to do this to size someone up before beginning negotiations?

#5 Visitor Q

Visitor Q

• Members
  • 462 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:03 PM

New Talent: Listening Eye.  Pre-requisite Per 35.

The Explorer has heightened his ability to read lips.  On a Challenging (+0) Speak Language test the Explorer may read the lips of any person whom he is able to see clearly. 

If the explorer knows the character well or has a very good idea of what they are talking about or understands their speech patterns and body language because of a relevant Peer talent then they may add +20 to the test.

Lip reading simply allows an explorer to understand the literal words used and does not offer any bonus to meaning or scrutiny checks.

Obviously lip reading is of no use if an explorer cannot understand the same language as the person being viewed.

Missionary Rank 2 100 Exp

Navigator Rank 3 200 Exp

Rogue Trader Rank 3 200 Exp

Seneschal Rank 2 100 Exp

Void Master: Rank 5 200 Exp.

Note I debated using a Perception check rather than Speak Language but a quick wiki search on lip reading suggested that body language and context as well as understanding of language was more important.  Therefore the perception element is included as a prerequisite.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS