TIE Bomber Speculation

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:56 AM

I am just playing around here.  This is just a speculation, but I think this would be cool.

TIE Bomber

Attack: 2

Agility: 2

Hull: 4

Shields: 0

Actions: Barrel Roll, Evade, Target Lock, Focus

Upgrades: 2 Missiles

They basically fill the role for people who want to field TIE Advanced just so they can shoot missiles, but they don't want to pay the expensive point cost.

Possible Changes: no evade, and proton torpedo instead of one of the missile slots.

I think this load out for a TIE Bomber would be far from overpowering, fullfill a useful nich in the Imperial force and add to the game.

I don't have an equally good ideas for the B-Wing

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#2 poloniumandrats

poloniumandrats

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

I think it would be quite neat to have the tie bomber be TOTALLY different from any other ship, what I'm thinking is:

No attack

1 evade

6 hull

3 shields

3 missiles, 2 torpedoes, an ion cannon and one crew member

Basically, to have it as a repository for missiles rather than a usable attack ship

Maybe also have an ability that allows the transfer of missiles to nearby ships

It could also be quite neat if the b-wing's s-foils came into the game, with 1 dial for open and one for closed, and an action to change between them. Also, when open, able to attack, when closed, extra evade dice (i know the x-wing's s-foils are not used, but they are not as profound as the b-wing's)

Just some thoughts

#3 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

poloniumandrats said:

I think it would be quite neat to have the tie bomber be TOTALLY different from any other ship, what I'm thinking is:

No attack

1 evade

6 hull

3 shields

Basically, to have it as a repository for missiles rather than a usable attack ship

It could also be quite neat if the b-wing's s-foils came into the game, with 1 dial for open and one for closed, and an action to change between them. Also, when open, able to attack, when closed, extra evade dice (i know the x-wing's s-foils are not used, but they are not as profound as the b-wing's)

Just some thoughts

This isn't a fighter it isn't even a bomber, it is a ammo carrier.

#4 poloniumandrats

poloniumandrats

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:34 AM

Hrathen said:

This isn't a fighter it isn't even a bomber, it is a ammo carrier.

Well, it should be still able to fire missiles and torpedoes

#5 Surtur

Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:11 AM

poloniumandrats said:

No attack

1 evade

6 hull

3 shields

Just some thoughts

This thing. It's already well established.

#6 poloniumandrats

poloniumandrats

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:20 AM

I know, and I remember from the rogue squadron series of games that it had no lasers, only bombs and missiles

#7 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:25 AM

In the TIE fighter game they had the same lasers as a TIE Fighter.  They also had lasers in X-wing.

#8 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:34 AM

poloniumandrats said:

I know, and I remember from the rogue squadron series of games that it had no lasers, only bombs and missiles

You remember incorrectly.  TIE Bombers had a pair of laser cannons.

#9 Tawnos

Tawnos

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:38 AM

Okay, to be fair, you may be right with respects to how the TIE Bomber was portrayed in Rogue Squadron; it's been so long that I don't remember.  But in that case, the game portrayed them inaccurately.

#10 Surtur

Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Hrathen said:

I am just playing around here.  This is just a speculation, but I think this would be cool.

TIE Bomber

They basically fill the role for people who want to field TIE Advanced just so they can shoot missiles, but they don't want to pay the expensive point cost.

Possible Changes: no evade, and proton torpedo instead of one of the missile slots.

I think this load out for a TIE Bomber would be far from overpowering, fullfill a useful nich in the Imperial force and add to the game.

I don't think a Tie bomber would have evade or barrel roll, they're pretty clunky. Probably using Y-wing ish movement. The rest seem right though. Just my 2 credits.

#11 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 800 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:20 AM

The TIE Bomber is basically the Y-Wing of the Empire. It will also finally give the Empire the chance to field Torpedo upgrades like the A-Wing opens up the concussion missile slot for the Rebels.

My guess:

(Lower initiative, TIE bombers were usually slower)

1/2 Attack
1 Agility
4/5 Hull
0 Shields

Actions: Focus, Lock on

Upgrades: 3x Torpedo slots

Movement Dial very similar to the Y-Wing.

The expansion pack would come with Proton bombs as a Torpedo upgrade, or more Proton Torpedoes. Protons are better with dogfigthing… Bombs are cannonical to the TIE but I don't see much utility for them in a dogfighting starfighter game. Perhaps a modification card to make the torpedo slots into missiles to pack concussion missiles.

The B-Wing would be a little different.

(mid initiative)

3/4 Attack
1/2 Agility
5/6 Hull
4 Shields

Actions: Focus, Lock on

Upgrades: 3x Torpedo slots

Movement Dial similar to Y-Wing or X-Wing

The B-Wing, like the TIE Defender, packs a lot of oridinance and has a high firepower rating. While the TIE/D is fast and fragile, the B-Wing is slow and very tough.

#12 blockhead

blockhead

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:50 AM

The exciting thing about the TIE bomber, at least IMO, is the space it opens up for scenarios. I can imagine some pretty tense games that force the Rebellion player to pick between strafing an incoming wave of bombers or breaking off to deal with covering TIEs.

The thing that has me most excited about the Falcon are the scenario-building elements that come with it, and I'd love to see the bomber come with some cardboard pieces for installations, transports, and stuff for it to target.

#13 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:55 AM

Surtur said:

Hrathen said:

TIE Bomber

I don't think a Tie bomber would have evade or barrel roll, they're pretty clunky. Probably using Y-wing ish movement. The rest seem right though. Just my 2 credits.

Surtur said:

Hrathen said:

TIE Bomber

Yeah I thought about that.  With an agility of 2 and no shields (even with a hull of 4) I don't expect them to live long without evade, but that could be factored into their point cost.  Their wings are just sound rounded for me to want to leave out barrel roll.

#14 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 360 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:46 AM

I think in Chapter 1 of the first xwing book, the guy barrelrolls his tie bomber (though it was using expert handling as his ship avoided the target lock)

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#15 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:29 PM

My guess:

Hull: 6

Actions: Focus, Target Lock

Upgrades: Torpedo, Missile, Bomb

The Torpedo, Missile, and Bomb upgrades should be a given in that the TIE Bomber write-up in Wookieepedia states that the TIE Bomber did in fact carry Proton Torpedoes, Concussion Missiles, and Bombs!

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters, 1 Lambda

25 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 76 kills versus 48 losses

#16 joewrightgm

joewrightgm

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:11 PM

I would say:

Attack: 2 (TIE bombers have 2 laser cannons)

Agility: 2 (its a bomber . . . )

Hull: 5 (Tough, but no more so than an Y-Wing)

Shields: 0 (Shields are for lesser pilots!)

Actions: Barrel Roll, Target Lock, Focus (focus and Barrel Roll seem TIE standard, and with its low agility and no evade, it would seem to balance out)

Upgrades: Torpedo, Missile, Bomb.  Possible elite talents to represent veteran pilots (IE Scimitar Wing bombers)

#17 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:21 PM

joewrightgm said:

I would say:

Actions: Barrel Roll, Target Lock, Focus (focus and Barrel Roll seem TIE standard, and with its low agility and no evade, it would seem to balance out)

Upgrades: Torpedo, Missile, Bomb.  Possible elite talents to represent veteran pilots (IE Scimitar Wing bombers)

I would field this craft for sure. Looks great. Even if it only had 2x Torpedo OR 2x Missile OR 2x Bomb I would be happy. I'm hoping they'll get bombs as seen in The Empire Strikes Back, but those would be pretty worthless in a dogfight.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#18 joewrightgm

joewrightgm

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 03:14 AM

Parakitor said:

joewrightgm said:

I would say:

I would field this craft for sure. Looks great. Even if it only had 2x Torpedo OR 2x Missile OR 2x Bomb I would be happy. I'm hoping they'll get bombs as seen in The Empire Strikes Back, but those would be pretty worthless in a dogfight.

Much obliged sir!  The way the entry in the Essential Guide to Vehicles & Vessels (yes, I own it . . . ) Seems to imply it can be outfitted with multiple payloads on the same vehicle; but I think for balance sake, and to keep it from introducing weird specific rules, just leave it one of each upgrade.

#19 ImhotepMagi

ImhotepMagi

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

What if the bomber (or bombs in general) could target ships it is in contact with? Basically representing it swooping upwards and opening the bomb bays as it passes.

#20 dandirk

dandirk

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:17 AM

mines instead of bombs would seem to be a better mechanic for the bomber… creating obsticles essentially.  Isn't the current rumor that the slave one might have a similar weapon (due to new chip in images?)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS