Outwit vs Called to Court

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:25 PM

I have a question about timing. When the time comes to trigger the response on Outwit to cancel Called to Court's effect, what has already been chosen?

Called to Court
When revealed, each player may put an in-House character of printed cost 3 or lower into play from his or her hand. Each players must choose 1 character he or she controls and return it to its owner's hand, if able.

Outwit
Response: Kneel a [LEARNED] character to cancel the 'when revealed' effects of a plot card just revealed.

#2 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,558 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

Khudzlin said:

I have a question about timing. When the time comes to trigger the response on Outwit to cancel Called to Court's effect, what has already been chosen?

The plots. The first player.

I don't think any part of Called to Court's effect would still be executed if the effect is cancelled. The plot's effect doesn't call for targets during its initiation, and indeed, I think the nature of the plot cards would prevent them from ever including such a target restriction (because how could they become illegal to reveal when there are no eligible targets for their effects?). So the whole when revealed effect has to be part of the resolution of the effect, and any cancel would precede whatever else the when revealed effect instructs you to do. I think.

#3 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:07 PM

It's the part about targets I'm unsure of, because the word choose appears in the text.

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,523 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:28 AM

By a technical reading, since there is no "then," you would get to see who people are choosing to return to hand, but not who they are putting into play.

However, from a practical standpoint, the second part of the effect (return) happens after the first part (put into play). We know this because the character you put into play is eligible to be chosen as the one you return to hand. So if you plan to Outwit Called to Court, you cancel (the whole thing) without any knowledge of which character your opponent will put into play, or return to hand.

#5 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,409 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS