Unlearn What You Have Learned

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,207 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 07:02 PM

We know already that the set-based deckbuilding is going to constitute a paradigm shift for veteran CCG fans. I imagine that owners of the advance copies of the Core Set are already hard at work constructing decks for both the light side and the dark side, and finding Darksbane's visual spoiler list to be an invaluable resource that does nothing so well as make me more impatient to start playing this game for real, I decided to draw up a couple decks for the light side that I could build as soon as I have two Core Sets. While I could post them here, I figure that's a topic for another thread. What really got me excited, though, was realizing how quickly I was able to go from initial concept to deck completion. The whole process took about five minutes apiece for each deck. But as with all collectible card games, the real meat of deck construction is going to come once I see these decks in action, observe what works, what doesn't, etc. And that's where it gets really interesting in this game: while it's easy to find sets that go well together, once it becomes apparent through play that certain cards are pulling their weight more than others, it's going to be so much more difficult to adjust the deck accordingly. I really like the pressure Han is putting on my opponent, but is it worth splashing Smugglers & Spies into a mostly Rebel Alliance deck? Do I need to make Smugglers & Spies my deck affiliation, or would it be smarter to run Rumors at the Cantina? Should I run two of them? If I do, what should come out? What will that removal do to my deck's strategy? And so on and so forth.

Building a first deck is going to be the easy part. But the Lepi hole just goes deeper and deeper from there.

#2 Mattr0polis

Mattr0polis

• Members
  • 820 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

Exactly, I really like this aspect as well and it's one of the big draws to this game for me. As a longtime player of Decipher's Star Wars CCG, I would work on a Light Side and a Dark Side deck all week to have them done in time to hang out with my friends and play all day Saturday. Now, deck building can go so quickly that I can build on the fly in between games without holding things up too much. Like, play a game, see what worked and what didn't switch out a couple of objective sets and go again. All of the fun of playing a card game, teching out decks, building decks, but without all of the hours away from actually PLAYING the game.

Gonna be sweet.

#3 mischraum.de

mischraum.de

• Members
  • 315 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:06 AM

And because of the new deckbuilding approach I hope it will be more of a tactical game instead of the search for the most broken deck.

Travelling for LCG tournaments: Amsterdam, Copenhagen, Gen Con, Genoa, Göteborg, Liege, Salzburg
Next destination: Make a suggestion!

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS