Photo

An upcoming weapon confirmed on Slave I - BOMBS! Theories?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:37 AM

The ad for Slave I states:

The Slave I Expansion Pack allows players to take advantage of the Firespray’s versatile armament and heavy armor plating, as well as a host of lethal new upgrades. Imperial players can choose to arm this starfighter with a range of missiles, ion cannons, heavy laser cannons, and bombs. Slave I comes with a detailed miniature, four pilot cards, thirteen upgrades, and all requisite tokens. New rules and a new mission further expand your games of X-Wing!

Bombs seem a strange weapon to take to a dogfight, but it raises my hope for my favourite Imperial starfighter - the TIE Bomber! - to be in Wave 3.

Any theories on how bombs will work? Slave 1 did lay seismic charges for Obi-wan Kenobi above Geonosis and they did seem pretty effective.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#2 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:53 AM

Not a surprise since they probably had to come up with some type of bombs for the TIE Bomber.

#3 cockney

cockney

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:23 AM

bombs: could they be used to blow up asteroids and or large ships (YT1300's) or bigger?

#4 KarmikazeKidd

KarmikazeKidd

• Members
  • 157 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:55 PM

I would also throw out the theory that a lot of these ads in magazines and such aren't exactly accurate. The people who write them are not always familiar with the product and could easily have said bombs when they really mean missiles or torpedoes. Actually, I would bet on the torps. Rebels are getting access to the Missiles previously only available to Imps, so it would make sense for the reverse to be true, and you know the Squints won't be carrying the torps.

#5 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

If Bombs simply are an attack you fire out of your rear arc They could be very useful.  If you look at the Slave I bases, i looks like it has a rear arc.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#6 Vonpenguin

Vonpenguin

• Members
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:31 PM

Personally I'd put my money on it being a deployable obstacle of some sort. Setting traps and ambushes and hindering movement would be a great ability and thematic for a bounty hunter's ship.

#7 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:57 PM

Vonpenguin said:

Personally I'd put my money on it being a deployable obstacle of some sort. Setting traps and ambushes and hindering movement would be a great ability and thematic for a bounty hunter's ship.

and 3 turns later it blows up, dealing 1 damage to all ships within range 1 of it or something like that. either that or if a ship flies past it, it explodes and deals that ship 2 damage

#8 blockhead

blockhead

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:58 AM

Vonpenguin said:

YES!

I would definitely love to see this. It would also be a pretty sweet option for the TIE bomber. You could do mines that detonate if a ship comes close, obstacles, and so on. It would add a very interesting dimension to the game.

#9 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

• Members
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

I'm banking on these "bombs" essentially being a cross between seismic charges and space mines. I hope they are triggered by proximity, rather than time. That would be really fun to use.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#10 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:17 PM

Look at the pilot bases for Slave I

Slave I has a rear Fireing arc.  

Taking that into account I can see the bombs working two ways.

First way is simply to be able to shoot backwards.  This actually works well in some other games like Dystopian wars.

Or maybe you just place a bomb marker somewhere in your rear arc.  And then if another ship collides, moves through or even comes close enough to it you get to roll your attack dice.

I don't think there will be timed attack, it seems to require a extra game mechanic to keep track of how long the bomb has been out.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=3565

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#11 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

I would have to agree with everyone.  If it is a deployable bomb/mine, my guess it would have a proximity detinator (most likely at range 1).  Also it may also have the damage profile like that of the Assault Missile -- If this attack hits, each other ship at Range 1 of the bomb (mine) suffers 1 damage.
If you look at the news article, New Starfighters Blast into Action, you'll notice a round, red marker.  That could be the "trigger".  We'll see when they hit  the shelves in February.

#12 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 834 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 06:52 AM

I considered starting a new thread, but figured I'd piggy back onto this Slave 1 speculation thread:

I've seen lots of people talk about the falcon and how it will do against TIE swarms, how Assault Missiles will affect TIE Swarms, etc. But, with Slave 1 and Interceptors also coming out concurrently with the Falcon, will there even be TIE swarms anymore? Rebel squads will change with the Awing and Falcon, but I think people are forgetting that Imperial squads will change, too. I think with new ships comes new abilities, like bombs (see? I'm on topic…don't edit me…), and you'd be at a disadvantage if you didn't incorporate some of the newer ships and abilities into your squads. I just think people are seeing how one thing will affect the game as it is now without seeing how the entire game will change with the introduction of wave 2.

People are trying to figure out how to play the falcon against TIEs, but is anyone thinking about how to play the falcon against Slave 1? Big difference when you get 2 large ships on the field at the same time.

#13 CaptainRook

CaptainRook

• Members
  • 304 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:07 AM

hothie said:

I considered starting a new thread, but figured I'd piggy back onto this Slave 1 speculation thread:

I've seen lots of people talk about the falcon and how it will do against TIE swarms, how Assault Missiles will affect TIE Swarms, etc. But, with Slave 1 and Interceptors also coming out concurrently with the Falcon, will there even be TIE swarms anymore? Rebel squads will change with the Awing and Falcon, but I think people are forgetting that Imperial squads will change, too. I think with new ships comes new abilities, like bombs (see? I'm on topic…don't edit me…), and you'd be at a disadvantage if you didn't incorporate some of the newer ships and abilities into your squads. I just think people are seeing how one thing will affect the game as it is now without seeing how the entire game will change with the introduction of wave 2.

People are trying to figure out how to play the falcon against TIEs, but is anyone thinking about how to play the falcon against Slave 1? Big difference when you get 2 large ships on the field at the same time.

I said something similar in another thread where someone posted their 'Falcon' build.  There are four new ships coming out and many are speculating as if only the MF/YT-1300 is coming out.  They were asking for opinions on how it would work, and my opinion, in a nutshell was that no one could tell how it would work, because it's only a fraction of the equation.  Now, sometime this week, we'll have the entire wave revealed, and then we can stop the needless speculation.

RookActual @ http://www.afewmaneuvers.com
-Rogue 9: rookactual@afewmaneuvers.com.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS