Photo

Which artists would you like to see in Lotr LCG?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

Following the discussion in the Playmat thread below, I'd like to know which artist's work (even if they would be impossible to hire or use their art) would you like to see in the Lotr lcg cards?

Personally, I'd love to see the classic Lotr artists, in spite that most of them feel a bit old-fashioned for the modern appearance of the game (I love old-fashioned Middle Earth art though!, such as John Howe, Ted Nasmith, Alan Lee, etc.

As for modern artists, I hope they use more Chris Rahn artwork (such as the one you see in the bok of Over Hill and Under Hill). I really love his work. 

Another one would be Tomasz Jedruszek. He's done card artwork for AGOT Lcg, so it's a possibility that we see him working in this game too (PLEASE FFG) He's the one who did the art you see in the first player token, and in the Khazad Dum box, and in the Middle Earth Quest box. I think we'll see more of his art in this game, hopefully on cards. 

There are others, that I just can't remember but I will mention later. So, which ones would you like to see working in this game?

"A straight road lay westward, now it is bent."

#2 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:10 AM

old style id like to see a nasmith, newer id love to see the artist i mentioned on the playmat thread- joe gilronan

nice thread!

rich

edit forgot links….also nasmiths got a new site

ted nasmith

joe gilronan

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#3 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:50 AM

My favorite artist is Mario Wibisono for his realistic drawings, although I'm not sure they would be suitable to LotR:LCG.
Other of my favorite artists that have great works and I would love to see in the game are Noah Bradley,  Jorge Matar, Steve Argyle and Jason Engle. Llyn Hunter also has a different approach in arts that I used to love in Warlord: Saga of the Storm, but I'm not sure would be suitable to this game.

Noah Bradley has an AWESOME ability to make landscapes, while the others are more into character making; Mr. Argyle has a more 'flashy' approach full of colors, but I definitively would like to see one piece or another from him.

Honorable Mentions: Steve Snyder, Matt Wilson, Drew Baker, April Lee.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#4 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:55 AM

Gizlivadi said:

I'd love to see the classic Lotr artists, in spite that most of them feel a bit old-fashioned for the modern appearance of the game (I love old-fashioned Middle Earth art though!, such as John Howe, Ted Nasmith, Alan Lee, etc.

Yeah, same with me here. Some of these pre-Jacksonist artists have extraordinary imaginations of Middle-earth. I'd like to add Rob Alexander to the list. His painting e.g. of the Blue Mountain Dwarf-Hold, the Elven Cloak or Wizard's River-horses are breathtaking, IMO.

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:17 AM

HilariousPete said:

Gizlivadi said:

I'd love to see the classic Lotr artists, in spite that most of them feel a bit old-fashioned for the modern appearance of the game (I love old-fashioned Middle Earth art though!, such as John Howe, Ted Nasmith, Alan Lee, etc.

Yeah, same with me here. Some of these pre-Jacksonist artists have extraordinary imaginations of Middle-earth. I'd like to add Rob Alexander to the list. His painting e.g. of the Blue Mountain Dwarf-Hold, the Elven Cloak or Wizard's River-horses are breathtaking, IMO.

some great pieces there hilarious…..thanks

also 'pre-jacksonist'…..i like that!

rich

#6 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

completely forgot until now- anyone came across Cor Block?

not my type of art by a long shot, and not for the game, but i believe tolkien liked him

rich

PS- almost forgot to mention the man himself tolkien art

#7 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

HilariousPete said:

Gizlivadi said:

Well, yeah, of course the old MECCG artists would be my favourites, I just didn't mention all of them because I don't think they are suitable for this game, due to its"dark & gritty" style. But Angus McBride, Rob Alexander, Donato Giancola, Liz Danforth or even Quinton Hoover would be awesome to see in Lotr Lcg, but of course that would be kinda "unoriginal", like imitating the style of another game, so they wouldn't do it.

#8 HilariousPete

HilariousPete

• Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:06 AM

Gizlivadi said:

I don't think they are suitable for this game, due to its"dark & gritty" style. But Angus McBride, Rob Alexander, Donato Giancola, Liz Danforth or even Quinton Hoover would be awesome to see in Lotr Lcg, but of course that would be kinda "unoriginal", like imitating the style of another game, so they wouldn't do it.

Yes, that's probably right. But he's my favorite artist :-) Although it's not completely hopeless, there are also some cards in a more "clear and bright" style like Ruins of Osgiliath, Approaching Rivendell or the Old Ford.

#9 Doctor Hooves

Doctor Hooves

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:05 AM

Here are a few.

Alexander Garner: A comic artist of whose art I was introduced playing VS System. I really liked his comic art, but then with the set "World's Finest," as well as his art in the WoW TCG, looked absolutely amazing as fantasy art. 

Chris Baker: One of the illustrators of the Redwall books by Brian Jacques, he illustrated the U.K. edition covers from 1991 to 2001. He also illustrated three of the books' interior art. Oddly enough, he goes by the name "Fangorn." :)

Angus McBride: I would love to see some of his art reused for this game (as this artist is no longer with us).

Steve Argyle wouldn't be too bad either.

#10 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:19 AM

Anyway, considering that FFG has the rights to use John Howe and Ted Nasmith art (LOTR board game and The Hobbit card game) I really hope that someday they consider using it for Lotr LCG. That would be, like, my biggest petition to them right now 

#11 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:21 AM

Michael Komarck. He's Magali good--maybe better.

#12 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:10 PM

starhawk77 said:

Better IMO. I know it depends a lot on what the subject matter is, but whatever it is, Magali's art looks more digital than Komarck, and I don't really  like it (Magali is still one of my favourite artists in the game). Komarck's art is very video-gamey, but everything he does looks epic.

#13 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,813 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Gizlivadi said:

starhawk77 said:

Better IMO. I know it depends a lot on what the subject matter is, but whatever it is, Magali's art looks more digital than Komarck, and I don't really  like it (Magali is still one of my favourite artists in the game). Komarck's art is very video-gamey, but everything he does looks epic.

ive never been a magali fan. her art is amazing and lifelike, but as in my recommendations, im much more a traditional art guy. i really hope ffg start to use less of this one artist, as good as she is, and more of a selection.

there were some misses early on with the various artists, but i preferred a variety with a few misses rather than all the best heros looking similar

and i think more people will be happy with this way (lets face it…if you dislike ultra realistic art then youre pretty screwed with the heros at the moment)

rich

#14 Gizlivadi

Gizlivadi

• Members
  • 761 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 12:32 PM

richsabre said:

Gizlivadi said:

starhawk77 said:

ive never been a magali fan. her art is amazing and lifelike, but as in my recommendations, im much more a traditional art guy. i really hope ffg start to use less of this one artist, as good as she is, and more of a selection.

there were some misses early on with the various artists, but i preferred a variety with a few misses rather than all the best heros looking similar

and i think more people will be happy with this way (lets face it…if you dislike ultra realistic art then youre pretty screwed with the heros at the moment)

rich

I agree completely, and I am myself a more traditional art guy too. That said, I can name only a few traditional artist in this game, which is a shame really. I hope we some day get art such as Angus McBride's javascript:void(0);/*1353371339631*/  or Rob Alexander's javascript:void(0);/*1353371460850*/

#15 soullos

soullos

• Members
  • 107 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

starhawk77 said:

I would love to see Michael Komarck. This is one of my favs from him.

#16 starhawk77

starhawk77

• Members
  • 444 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

I first came across his work when I picked up Anachronism (fun, under-appreciated little gladiatorial game). That same page you linked to has his work for sets of cards tied to Julius Caesar, King Arthur, Joan of Arc, etc. It's just sooooo pretty.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS