Photo

Recommended 1 session/short adventures from D6, D20, Saga edition to convert to EotE?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:35 AM

Hi guys,

I am looking for short, 1 to 2 sessions max, adventures from D6, D20 or Saga edition that I could convert to EotE. Most adventuresI find deal mostly with the rebels or the Jedis, which isn't the setting of EotE. Is there any that you recall that would be well suited to EotE (I can convert it fine, I just need the framework).

Thanks

Ceodryn

#2 awayputurwpn

awayputurwpn

• Members
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 05:51 AM

Smuggler's Rendezvous, a mini adventure from Saga Edition's Scum & Villainy, is a fun little ride. Add in some elements from that book's Fringe Campaigns chapter (like the "Retrograde Technology" Adventure Hook, the players find a droideka for sale and go about trying to purchase it), and you've got a solid 1-2 session adventure.

The Fell Star, a full adventure also from S&V, is fun but my play group took like 3 sessions to play through it. Though that was in Saga Edition with the 1-2 hour combat encounters. I think perhaps for EotE it might only take a session or two to play through.

#3 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Tatooine Manhunt  (d6) could be adapted easily enough.

Otherspace (WEG) can be 1 session, with a group that is just looking to get out, but typically is 2-3 sessions.

#4 Donovan Morningfire

Donovan Morningfire

Looking for a saint? Look elsewhere.

• Members
  • 4,277 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 04:25 AM

I adapted Rendezvous at Ord Mantell from Star Wars Gamer 1 for use as a intro-level adventure for my Saturday gaming group.  Didn't take much to convert it from OCR either.  And it can be useful as a lead-in for a campaign involving the Rebel Alliance as well.

You may have to do a bit of web-searching, but there's also the excellent "A Much Larger Galaxy…" adventure that was written during the early days of Saga Edition.  It shouldn't be too difficult to convert, though I'd suggest changing the BBEG's weapons from short 'sabers to vibro-swords, as lightsabers are a much bigger deal in EotE than they were in SWSE.  Or just dropping the BBEG listed in the module and replace her with an Emperor's Hand from the Adversaries chapter instead.

Dono's Gaming & Etc Blog - http://jedimorningfire.blogspot.com/

"You worry about those drink vouchers, I'll worry about that bar tab!"

#5 Crimson_red

Crimson_red

• Members
  • 44 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:26 AM

The d6 adventure "Starfall" could be a good one to adapt. I last ran it in a single session New Years Eve game a few years back, taken between 5-10 hours (character creation included). I found it an easy adventure to improvise and adapt to player actions, and being aboard a dying star destroyer was very cool and thematic, I was able to grab the narrative and run for miles so to speak.  

The downside, the adventure assumes the players are rebels, so a little less thematic for EotE. Then again, your characters start off in a prison cell about the star destroyer, and I think it relatively easy to replace them with bounty hunters or other mercenaries… I know most of my PCs were. The up shot, I think the dying ship would be fertile grounds to really explore and run with the narrative dice, giving a number of exciting options for advantage and threat and so on.

The adventure was published under its own name and later in Classic Adventures: Volume Five.

Note: I am biased in favour of this one, it was one of the best adventure runs I ever had, the PCs managed to escape the dying star destroyer exactly at midnight, the deadline I had half-jokingly said (and they took deadly serious) the ship would explode - made for a fantastic description and new years countdown!

#6 DailyRich

DailyRich

• Members
  • 366 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:10 AM

Crimson_red said:

The d6 adventure "Starfall" could be a good one to adapt. I last ran it in a single session New Years Eve game a few years back, taken between 5-10 hours (character creation included). I found it an easy adventure to improvise and adapt to player actions, and being aboard a dying star destroyer was very cool and thematic, I was able to grab the narrative and run for miles so to speak.  

The downside, the adventure assumes the players are rebels, so a little less thematic for EotE. Then again, your characters start off in a prison cell about the star destroyer, and I think it relatively easy to replace them with bounty hunters or other mercenaries… I know most of my PCs were. The up shot, I think the dying ship would be fertile grounds to really explore and run with the narrative dice, giving a number of exciting options for advantage and threat and so on.

I was thinking of adapting this one too, and just having my PCs stumble across the wrecked ship.  Maybe even throw a couple of other scavenging/smuggling teams on board to make things interesting.

#7 The Madman

The Madman

• Members
  • 21 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

WEG's Tatooine Manhunt IS a great mission… but it's not a 1-2 session thing…

Most of the Missons in the WEG MosEisley "Starter" Box  (White booklet ) were designed to be 1-4 hour  'Primers' 
also the "Instant Adventure" source book had several short  scenarios 

#8 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:40 AM

Thanks for the replies!

I scoured the ancient books, and found the following adventures that could be (I think) easily adapted and run within a few sessions:

• D20 - Cat & Mouse
  • D20 - The Smugglers of Naboo
  • Saga - Scum & Villainy - Mini-Adventures
  • Saga - Scum & Villainy - The Fell Star
  • WEG - Classic Adventures Vol 1 - The Politic of Contraband
  • WEG - Instant Adventures - Heavy Lifting, Into the Heat of Battle, Family Problems, The Treasure of Celis Mott
  • WEG - The Pirates of Prexiar

I havent run any of those, I just quickly skimmed them and found they could work for a group of "fringers". 

Cheers

Ceodryn

#9 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

The Madman said:

WEG's Tatooine Manhunt IS a great mission… but it's not a 1-2 session thing…

Most of the Missons in the WEG MosEisley "Starter" Box  (White booklet ) were designed to be 1-4 hour  'Primers' 
also the "Instant Adventure" source book had several short  scenarios 

never had it run past two sessions, usually done in one.

#10 Gamerunner

Gamerunner

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

I've been using the Treasure Hunting Mission descriptions from SWTOR, (Found a list on swtor wiki)  as adventure seeds for my group of fringers "collecting" items for a Hutt clan. I can usually get 3 of the encounters run in one session.

#11 GalaxyUC

GalaxyUC

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Any of the adventures centered around the Minos Cluster, alla Galaxy Guide 7: Tram Freighters (D6), best supplment for ANY Star Wars system EVER!

#12 GalaxyUC

GalaxyUC

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

Any of the adventures centered around the Minos Cluster, alla Galaxy Guide 7: Tramp Freighters (D6), best supplment for ANY Star Wars system EVER!

#13 BrashFink

BrashFink

• Members
  • 546 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

Crimson_red said:

The adventure was published under its own name and later in Classic Adventures: Volume Five.

Note: I am biased in favour of this one, it was one of the best adventure runs I ever had, the PCs managed to escape the dying star destroyer exactly at midnight, the deadline I had half-jokingly said (and they took deadly serious) the ship would explode - made for a fantastic description and new years countdown!

Back in February, before any of this new EotE stuff was known about, me and my players decided to break out WEGs D6 and start a campaign. I decided (quite amazingly) that I wanted the whole party to be outlaws and tied to several characters in the canon. Our campaign takes place in the area about 3 years before A New Hope.

My group is only able to meet every couple of months due to us not living in the same area anymore. This means when we do get together, it is usually 1 normal session, and one VERY extended play session. Our first adventure, I adapted "Starfall."

Our Starfall was a bit different because I wanted to eliminate the whole "Rebel Battle" part of the adventure…

The party is an outlaw group of pirates who target Imperial transports. They jumped out of hyperspace into a ship yard with a prototype Interdictor-class star destroyer which promptly prevented them from escaping with its gravity well projectors. After a small TIE fighter combat, they were captured. The entire adventure flipped around to them trying to escape from the detention block and escape the Star Destroyer while running into "Terrorists" (pre-rebellion remnants of the Antarian Rangers) who were in the middle of a mission to destroy the prototype. Once the charges went off and the Star Destroyer starting careening into the planet below, the pressure to leave got rather tense (haha). Other minor changes, the "Y-wing" that was imbedded in the hull was a TIE fighter (mishap due to confusion when charges went off, etc)… stuff like that. There was no battle going on outside. There was very little staff actually on the ship because it was not even finished yet.

My thought is, it was a GREAT one to convert and the party loved it. I think they really liked it because it gave that real Episode 4, Death Star escape feel to it. However, it seems like it would take longer than 3 sessions. We did it in a 4-6 hour session, and a 12+ hour session and I threw out a couple encounters. I usually keep 2 or 3 in my head that might be dumped in time crunches.

Another note: My group just now is setting up a meetup in January and I am looking to read some things to adapt, so thanks for your suggestions!

#14 LethalDose

LethalDose

• Members
  • 782 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 11:42 AM

Ceodryn said:

Thanks for the replies!

I scoured the ancient books, and found the following adventures that could be (I think) easily adapted and run within a few sessions:

• D20 - Cat & Mouse
  • Saga - Scum & Villainy - Mini-Adventures
  • WEG - Instant Adventures - Heavy Lifting, Into the Heat of Battle, Family Problems, The Treasure of Celis Mott

I havent run any of those, I just quickly skimmed them and found they could work for a group of "fringers". 

Cheers

Ceodryn

I ran Pirates of Prexiar as my first adventure for my group.  Parts of it are fine, but the second act has a vehicle chase where players are using personal weapons against vehicles, and it works pretty poorly.  Just a heads up.

-WJL

"All models are wrong, but some models are useful."  - George E. P. Box

#15 Northman

Northman

• Members
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 07:22 AM

I've have some luck with converting the mini adventures from Scum & Villainy, so I can recommend that. You don't need to use the locations provided there either - I simply used Cloud City as a base for a couple of them. Until the players got themselves wanted for killing Imperial officials, that is, so now I mostly wing things based on their actions (which works incredibly well with the Edge rules, btw).

But the suggestions above should be valid. There's also the Rebellion Era sourcebook and a few of the same kind of sourcebooks (I only ever bought the Rebellion one) from the first d20 rules which have an outline for a complete (and rather long) campaign. It should be easy to borrow parts of that for a few sessions, and easier still to evolve it further if that's something you want.

#16 aramis

aramis

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 23 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

LethalDose said:

I ran Pirates of Prexiar as my first adventure for my group.  Parts of it are fine, but the second act has a vehicle chase where players are using personal weapons against vehicles, and it works pretty poorly.  Just a heads up.

-WJL

Works pretty poorly as in, "You don't do enough damage with anything short of a blaster carbine," which is the smallest weapon a starting character can actually hurt any vehicle with reliably.

And you're only going to find Caribines and Rifles in people with extra obligation spent. 

Note that it takes 3s to make a heavy blaster pistol do a single point to an unarmored very light craft. And, unless one of them is from a triumph, that's probably not going to even be noticed. 

#17 Tetsuhara

Tetsuhara

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

Going back to the d6 book 'Instant Adventures', for my first test of the beta, I decided to adopt the 'Heavy Lifting' adventure. It's a fun romp, and adapts very well to a smuggler-based campaign.

Another really good d6 book is 'The Politics of Contraband', which is a series of adventures specifically written for a smuggler/fringe based campaign.

'Han Solo and the Corporate Sector' is also a good one to look at. In fact, I'd suggest reading the trilogy it's based on. You can get a lot of good ideas for a campaign from them.

#18 Ceodryn

Ceodryn

• Members
  • 273 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

Hey guys, I just wanted to summarize all adventures that were mentionned to close this thread:

• D20 - Cat & Mouse
  • D20 - Star Wars Gamer - Rendezvous at Ord Mantell
  • Saga - Scum & Villainy - Mini-Adventures (ex: Smuggler's Rendezvous)
  • WEG - Tatoine Manhunt
  • WEG - Otherspace
  • WEG - Mos Eisley Starter Box Adventures
  • WEG - Galaxt Guide 7: Tram Freigthers Plot/ Adventures
  • WEG - Starfall
  • WEG - Han Solo and the Corportate Sector Plot/Adventures

Thanks for the tips,

Cheers

Ceodryn

#19 I. J. Thompson

I. J. Thompson

• Members
  • 990 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 12:13 PM

Ceodryn said:

That'd be 'Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters', for those scouring eBay. Man, I miss my copy of that book…

#20 Kallabecca

Kallabecca

• Members
  • 847 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 02:08 PM

I. J. Thompson said:

Ceodryn said:

That'd be 'Galaxy Guide 6: Tramp Freighters', for those scouring eBay. Man, I miss my copy of that book…

So glad I have all my D6 stuff.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS