Photo

(Liam voice) RELEASE THE FALCON!!! (image heavy)

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:27 AM

So, after all of the debates on the boards, and after our son was in bed, my wife and I played a game with the Falcon against my squad from last weekend.

Rebel squad:

Chewbacca with Assault Missiles, Draw their fire, and Nien Nunb
Biggs with R2F2
Gold SQ with ion Cannons

Initial setup:

Notice the Falcon corner touching the back edge, as described as legal in the book.

First maneuver round:

Apparently I'm rusty from last weekend, as Vader collided with Obsidian. My wife ran Biggs into the Falcon.

Second maneuver, first combat:

Here is where I say I was wrong. I was convinced Assault Missiles would destroy my squad. I was wrong. She rolled 2 hits, i rolled 2 evades. Missiles avoided, no damage to anyone.  Formation (relatively) intact.

Third round:

We had to get creative and remove one of the pegs on the TIE to get it to fit under the Falcon. Biggs is still running into the Falcon, so no R2F2. She could have played that better. Either way, it's a giant cluster.

Fourth round, 1 TIE dead. We all scatter.

Fifth round I'm focusing on Biggs and take him out while everyone else gets ready for the second pass.

Sixth round we have our second wave of attacking.

Seventh round I focus on taking out the ywing. She did take one of its crits with Chewie, which is a combo I like.

A few rounds later, the end is near. Vader needs to roll 3 hits to take out the Falcon, and does.

All in all, the Falcon did seem too big to maneuver well with, and Assault Missiles are a one-trick pony.  that's just our opinion.

#2 Stormtrooper721

Stormtrooper721

• Members
  • 329 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

Thanks for the batrep, Hothie!

I still want a Falcon or three - three 27-point YT-1300s and a 18-point Gold Squadron Y-Wing for 99 points!

I'm not one of the ones panicking over the Assault Missiles and I'm a TIE swarmer. You'll only get three ships with Assault Missiles in a squad and then that's pretty much your squad. A few unlucky rolls and you're screwed, so I'm happy to continue with my TIE swarms. I'll continue posting batreps as well.

The 731st Imperial Flight School - "The Vornskrs" - 1 TIE Advanced, 3 TIE Interceptors, 10 TIE Fighters

23 Victories, 1 Defeat, 0 Draws - 69 kills versus 46 losses

#3 SteveSpikes

SteveSpikes

• Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:12 AM

Great pics, Doug.  That was my first impression of the Assault Missiles.  That they're best suited for use on the TIE Advanced, or any small scale fighter in the future.  They can maneuver were the Falcon can't.  The only deterant to the Assault Missile is the cost (5).  Something "vital" has to go from another ship.

February can't come soon enough.

#4 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:14 AM

Great pics!  Makes the pain easier to take for now.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#5 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:18 AM

Very cool.

What's it like having a significant other who will also enjoy games? Mine thinks they're the plague!

#6 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Lady Hothie is definitely a unique breed of woman.  You're a lucky man Mr. Hoth.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#7 LaughingTree

LaughingTree

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Awesome report, thanks for the pics!

#8 LaughingTree

LaughingTree

• Members
  • 410 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:16 PM

Awesome report, thanks for the pics!

#9 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

even if that missile did hit, it wouldn't have done much except give you a big scare, given how you still had 5 ships still alive and flying around at the end of the game

#10 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 01:13 AM

True, the only ship it would have affected is Howlrunner, who had 2 damage at the end of the game. So it would have been closer, but I think i still win.

#11 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 10:02 AM

All right, game number 2 with the Falcon. i got to play the Falcon this time against our friend Matt.

My squad:
Chewbacca
-Engine Upgrade
-Millenium Falcon title card
-Nien Nunb Pilot card
-Assault Missiles
-Expert handling

Rookie Pilot
-R2 Astromech

Gold Squadron Ywing
-Ion Cannons

Matt's Squad:
Darth vader with Marksmanship

2XTempest Squadron Pilot

2XAcademy Pilot

Ok, I admit, I was being goofy. I wanted to put ALL of the available action icons on the Falcon, and I did. Mainly I just wanted to Barrel Roll the Falcon. How much fun would that be?!?!?!?!?!?!

Setup:

We played on our home map, which is black felt with a sheer "starry" background.

First round I moved the Falcon straight 2, and then did a "Boost action". This was eye-opening to me, as boosting really got it far. If I would have gone 4 and then boosted, I'd have been up in his grill real quick.

The Falcon took a few hits. Next round he thought I was going to go fast, so he koiogran turned, but I went 1 instead:

I collided with his fighter, so no action for the Falcon that round. Next round we split up:

Here i target locked and used Assault Missiles. I rolled 2 hits, he rolled 2 evades. Again, no damage done, just like yesterday.

Next round I got to Barrel Roll the Falcon!!!!!!!

It worked even better than I expected it to, because I rolled out of Vader's firing arc:

Next round the TIEs gang up on the Falcon:

I managed to take Vader out, but the Falcon is badly damaged.

Next round he finished off the Falcon.

Fast forward a few rounds, dogfighting continues:

Until it's just down to the Ywing with 1 hull left,

Versus a full health TIE Advanced with shields.

Two words: Ion Cannons. 5 straight hits with target locking and flying behind him:

It was a fun game, and the Falcon is fun to play without asteroids on the board. And I did manage to use boost, barrel roll, target lock, and evade on the Falcon, so that was fun.

Still smiling about barrel rolling the Falcon. :D

#12 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:09 PM

Nice!

Somehow barrel rolling a large base ship feels like it should use the 2S template. I'm guessing the base is as wide as a 2S.

#13 Panic

Panic

• Members
  • 102 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:21 PM

yeah,
Thanx for these Falcon special edition battle reports, I can't wait to get one for myself.

'Besides, I know a few maneuvers. We'll lose 'em.'
     Lolz at barrel rolling the Falcon, that was quite the maneuver.

Panic…

#14 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 729 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 09:01 PM

did you flip the falcon miniature upside down and over again while doing the barrel roll?

#15 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:41 AM

Duraham said:

did you flip the falcon miniature upside down and over again while doing the barrel roll?

Hahahaha. I think that should be required, or else your opponent gets to call a penalty on you for unfanlike conduct.

Be seeing you.

#16 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

I was too focused on taking pictures and actually being able to do the maneuver, so no, I didn't actually roll it. I've thought about making the cinematic swoosh it does towards the camera with asteroids,but haven't yet.

Oh, and the base size is 3 1/8" by 3 1/8". Seriously, boosting with this thing is unreal, and would be a very aggressive tactic first round if you move straight 4 then boost. i think it would throw off any swarm army. I mean, sure, you'll take some hits, but man would it screw with your opponent right away. :)

#17 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:58 AM

hothie said:

I was too focused on taking pictures and actually being able to do the maneuver, so no, I didn't actually roll it. I've thought about making the cinematic swoosh it does towards the camera with asteroids,but haven't yet.

hothie, despite giving all the internet fans of this game all the fun of vicariously playing with and knowing about the Falcon, this offense is intoleable. It pains me to say this to such an otherwise fantastic member of this fan community, but as punishment, I am going to have to confiscate the Falcon from you. It can't be helped. I will PM you my address.

With sorrow,

magadizer

Be seeing you.

#18 Chairborne

Chairborne

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:12 PM

magadizer said:

hothie said:

hothie, despite giving all the internet fans of this game all the fun of vicariously playing with and knowing about the Falcon, this offense is intoleable. It pains me to say this to such an otherwise fantastic member of this fan community, but as punishment, I am going to have to confiscate the Falcon from you. It can't be helped. I will PM you my address.

With sorrow,

magadizer

I don't think your Jedi Mind Trick is going to work.

#19 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 838 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:57 PM

I'll be sure to keep it hidden in my smuggling compartments when you come here to confiscate it. ;)

#20 magadizer

magadizer

• Members
  • 904 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:09 PM

hothie said:

I'll be sure to keep it hidden in my smuggling compartments when you come here to confiscate it. ;)

"Damn fool I knew he was going to say that!"

Be seeing you.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS