First Rules Question?

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 clique84

clique84

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:25 AM

There are cards, like Admiral Ackbar and Return of the Jedi that let you play a character as an action.  Would you then have to pay the resource cost for the character?

#2 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:29 AM

clique84 said:

There are cards, like Admiral Ackbar and Return of the Jedi that let you play a character as an action.  Would you then have to pay the resource cost for the character?

The answer you seek is in the rule book.

#3 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 02:40 AM

They key thing to notice is the wording of the card, it will either say "Play" like Ackbar does or say "Put into Play" like on Return of the Jedi, both are defined in the rulebook Term Summary and have different meanings for when it comes to resource payment or not.

#4 clique84

clique84

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:06 AM

Oh, ok.  So, to me, it would appear you pay for Ackbar, but not for the Jedi returned by the Return of the Jedi.  Right?

#5 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:11 AM

As per the rules on page 13 Term Summary:

Play describes an action where a player pays the resource cost of a card in hand and transfers it into play..

Put into play describes an effect that takes a card from an out of play state and transfer it directly into play without paying its resource costs.

#6 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 05:35 AM

clique84 said:

Oh, ok.  So, to me, it would appear you pay for Ackbar, but not for the Jedi returned by the Return of the Jedi.  Right?

In other words, yes.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#7 LMKComaBlack

LMKComaBlack

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:20 AM

It's a trap!

As a different rules question, if a struggle is going on, and mid way through the struggle the location takes its last point of damage, how does that battle resolve?  Once the onjective is destroyed does everyone just disengage the moment the 5th point of damage is assigned?  Do you still exhaust every person at the objective, even though the objective has already been destroyed?

#8 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,628 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:38 AM

LMKComaBlack said:

It's a trap!

As a different rules question, if a struggle is going on, and mid way through the struggle the location takes its last point of damage, how does that battle resolve?  Once the onjective is destroyed does everyone just disengage the moment the 5th point of damage is assigned?  Do you still exhaust every person at the objective, even though the objective has already been destroyed?

The only time this kind of a situation is referenced in the rules (from what I've briefly looked up) is during the "Award Unopposed" stage of combat (pg. 23). If the objective is destroyed before the Award Unopposed step, you skip that step. So I think the units continue to take turns striking until all no one else is left to strike. Any blast damage will just be ignored. It's the same as if you focused your first unit and destroyed the only defending unit. Any other unit damage is basically wasted.

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#9 Mundane

Mundane

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 01:41 PM

LMKComaBlack said:

It's a trap!

The third paragraph under Section 5, Resolving Strikes states, "A player does not have the option to pass during this step. If he has at least one ready participating unit, it must focus to strike."

So you would continue resolving each characters icons after the objective has been destroyed.

#10 Darth_Malus

Darth_Malus

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:34 PM

Got another question:

If Tarkin comes into play and an enemy's objective had only 1 HP remaining before he comes into play, is it immediately defeated?

Tarkin says that enemy objectives require 1 less damage to defeat them.  My guess would be yes.

#11 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:44 PM

Darth_Malus said:

Got another question:

If Tarkin comes into play and an enemy's objective had only 1 HP remaining before he comes into play, is it immediately defeated?

Tarkin says that enemy objectives require 1 less damage to defeat them.  My guess would be yes.

Your guess is correct.

#12 vitalogy

vitalogy

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 03:12 PM

I just joined the site tonight. Can someone email the rules book for Star Wars. I have heard it is available on pdf.

#13 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,328 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:22 PM

vitalogy said:

I just joined the site tonight. Can someone email the rules book for Star Wars. I have heard it is available on pdf.

The official full color rules PDF is not up yet. When it is it will be added to support page. The scanned black and white can be found on cardgamedb website forums. 

#14 Redblock

Redblock

• Members
  • 203 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Rules itself gave me new question. LS objective Fleeing the empire says "After you refresh, place 1 shield on a target unit or objective you control". sounds good and logical, but in rulebook refresh phase goes like this "1. remove one token from each unit, you can use after you refresh powers after completing this stage.  2. remove all shield tokens from all your cards."

So if my understanding is corect you place token with fleeing the empire, as its part 1 of phase, and remove it immediatly? Or I got some part of resolution wrong?

#15 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Redblock said:

Rules itself gave me new question. LS objective Fleeing the empire says "After you refresh, place 1 shield on a target unit or objective you control". sounds good and logical, but in rulebook refresh phase goes like this "1. remove one token from each unit, you can use after you refresh powers after completing this stage.  2. remove all shield tokens from all your cards."

So if my understanding is corect you place token with fleeing the empire, as its part 1 of phase, and remove it immediatly? Or I got some part of resolution wrong?

No refresh is the entire phase, not the action of removing a focus token from a card/cards.  So looking at page 30 you would place the shield token at the point that says "Refresh phase ends".

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#16 Andur Saibot

Andur Saibot

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 08:44 PM

Another question:

What the "It's worse!" game text exactly means? Besides the extra point of damage, I understand it works like Counter-Stroke but, because of how it is written, I wonder: Does this card actually cancels the effect of a card after responses to that effect can be played and passive abilities activated? Can bring destroyed cards from the grave (an objective destroyed with "Rebel Assault" for instance) and with 0 damage on them?

#17 PBrennan

PBrennan

• Members
  • 259 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:14 PM

Andur Saibot said:

Another question:

What the "It's worse!" game text exactly means? Besides the extra point of damage, I understand it works like Counter-Stroke but, because of how it is written, I wonder: Does this card actually cancels the effect of a card after responses to that effect can be played and passive abilities activated? Can bring destroyed cards from the grave (an objective destroyed with "Rebel Assault" for instance) and with 0 damage on them?

It stacks in a push/pop sequence.

Something triggers (call it A).

Someone triggers an interrupt (B) on A.

Someone then play's It's Worse © which is an interrupt to (B).

C gets executed first. It cancels B's effect.

Any reactions to C's cancellation effects would now be triggered and executed.

C then gets to deal 1 damage.

Any reactions to C's damage would now be triggered and executed.

B now nominally executes, but its effect is cancelled. (No reactions to what B *would* have done had it not be cancelled can be triggered.)

A now executes.

Reactions to A now trigger and execute.

Because of this stacking nature, and the resolution of all interrupts before the interrupted effects are executed (and their reactions), there's never any wind-back, so there's no destroying of cards and then bringing them back from the grave due to cancellation of effects.

Hope that helps.

Patrick

#18 Andur Saibot

Andur Saibot

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:26 PM

PBrennan said:

Because of this stacking nature, and the resolution of all interrupts before the interrupted effects are executed (and their reactions), there's never any wind-back, so there's no destroying of cards and then bringing them back from the grave due to cancellation of effects.

Hope that helps.

Patrick

Very helpful. Thank you very much, kind sir. And now I also see one cancels Events and the other Interrupts, which I assume is the base of my confusion.

#19 Aahzmandius_Karrde

Aahzmandius_Karrde

• Members
  • 324 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 12:44 AM

Deleted, missed page two.

Welcome to the FFG Star Wars RPG Index 

#20 Entropy42

Entropy42

• Members
  • 650 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 08:07 AM

Aahzmandius_Karrde said:

Redblock said:

No refresh is the entire phase, not the action of removing a focus token from a card/cards.  So looking at page 30 you would place the shield token at the point that says "Refresh phase ends".

Fleeing the Empire says "after you refresh", not "after your refresh phase".  The rulebook (pg 12) explicitly says you use "after you refresh" effects between steps 1 and 2 of the Refresh Phase.  Which means that shield token would be removed immediately, so they probably meant the card to say "after your refresh phase".

Also, for a card like "A New Hope", are there any instructions for who chooses first when players need to "simultaneously" resolve an effect?  I didn't see it in the rules.  In Invasion the players make their choices starting with the active player, but I've always thought it should start with the next player, since the WHI way puts the active player at a disadvantage.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS