Tournament Prep!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 atmsalad

atmsalad

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

Hey guys, I decided to quit piggy backing off of Hothies post and start my own. So tomorrow, Saturday the 17th, I am going to be entering a tournament in Dallas and I want your guys input on tactics… and any critiques for the squad I am going to be playing.

Total Squad Points: 100

Pilot: Biggs Darklighter
X-Wing
Upgrades:
Proton Torpedoes
R2-F2

Pilot: Wedge Antillies
X-Wing
Upgrades:
Squad LeaderProton Torpedoes
R2 Astromech

Pilot: "Dutch" Vander
Y-Wing
Upgrades:
Proton TorpedoesIon Cannon Turret

The main questions I need answers for when it comes to build are "which is better for this squad? Swarm tactics, Squad leader or Marksmanship?" "Should I sacrifice a proton torpedo for a R2-D2, and if so who will he go on and who loses the proton torpedo?". Any other advice you guys are willing to give will be accepted in addition to any tactical ideas, which I am in need of! lol Thank you all in advance!

#2 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 743 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:27 PM

atmsalad said:

Hey guys, I decided to quit piggy backing off of Hothies post and start my own. So tomorrow, Saturday the 17th, I am going to be entering a tournament in Dallas and I want your guys input on tactics… and any critiques for the squad I am going to be playing.

X-Wing
Upgrades:
Proton Torpedoes
R2-F2

X-Wing
Upgrades:
R2 Astromech

Y-Wing
Upgrades:

The main questions I need answers for when it comes to build are "which is better for this squad? Swarm tactics, Squad leader or Marksmanship?" "Should I sacrifice a proton torpedo for a R2-D2, and if so who will he go on and who loses the proton torpedo?". Any other advice you guys are willing to give will be accepted in addition to any tactical ideas, which I am in need of! lol Thank you all in advance!

I would really really highly recommend you try out a 4 ship build instead. 

Anyways, sticking with the current build, I say drop the proton on Biggs, use the 4 extra points you now have to get a R2D2 on Dutch. Change squad leader on Wedge to either expert handling (my recommendation, since you already have R2 astromech) or swarm tactics (not really recommended since your other 2 ships have fairly high skill points at 5 and 6), or skip it entirely and change dutch to horton for more firepower. squad leader on wedge isnt a good idea because you WILL want to use an action on wedge every turn anyways, and it is highly unlikely you will give it up to either of the other 2 ships. I say keep the 2 proton torpedoes for the inevitable rebel vs rebel matchup or if your opponent were fielding Darth Vader or some other big juicy target.

#3 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 890 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:52 PM

Thinking about it, I personally would drop proton torps off of Biggs. If you use the torps in the first combat round, that means you're not using R2F2. And Biggs normally can't afford to not use R2F2 in the first combat round. Maybe you can get him to survive the first combat round, but  it doesn't usually happen, especially against Imperial builds. Having R2D2 on either of your other 2 will help to keep them alive longer, which would help.

Either way, have fun!

#4 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 365 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 10:16 AM

So how'd you do?

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#5 atmsalad

atmsalad

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:03 AM

Duraham said:

atmsalad said:

X-Wing
Upgrades:
Proton Torpedoes
R2-F2

X-Wing
Upgrades:
R2 Astromech

Y-Wing
Upgrades:

I would really really highly recommend you try out a 4 ship build instead. 

Anyways, sticking with the current build, I say drop the proton on Biggs, use the 4 extra points you now have to get a R2D2 on Dutch. Change squad leader on Wedge to either expert handling (my recommendation, since you already have R2 astromech) or swarm tactics (not really recommended since your other 2 ships have fairly high skill points at 5 and 6), or skip it entirely and change dutch to horton for more firepower. squad leader on wedge isnt a good idea because you WILL want to use an action on wedge every turn anyways, and it is highly unlikely you will give it up to either of the other 2 ships. I say keep the 2 proton torpedoes for the inevitable rebel vs rebel matchup or if your opponent were fielding Darth Vader or some other big juicy target.

I ended up keeping the protons on everyone and it ended up paying off, and at no point during the two games did i wish I had R2- D2. Not saying it was a bad choice, but this squad just has to be way to aggressive for that. I did go with swarm tactics on wedge and I think it worked out really well, allowed me to take priority almost all the time! I am thinking about dropping the R2 on wedge, which I did end up moving to dutch, so I can possibly get some initiative, I think may help me out a ton.

#6 atmsalad

atmsalad

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

hothie said:

Thinking about it, I personally would drop proton torps off of Biggs. If you use the torps in the first combat round, that means you're not using R2F2. And Biggs normally can't afford to not use R2F2 in the first combat round. Maybe you can get him to survive the first combat round, but  it doesn't usually happen, especially against Imperial builds. Having R2D2 on either of your other 2 will help to keep them alive longer, which would help.

Either way, have fun!

Actually I can use the Torps on Biggs because of Dutch, that is one reason I went with him as apposed to Horton. I feel like R2-D2 just ends up being so slow, and if my torp hits then it ends up being more helpful then one or two extra shields, at least that is what I think. I just got a fifth tie fighter so I am looking forward to testing this squad against a mirror of your swarm squad, although it won't be nearly as good seeing how you wont be at the helm.

#7 atmsalad

atmsalad

• Members
  • 45 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 05:53 AM

R5Don4 said:

So how'd you do?

Placed first out of four, lame I know. The organizer was tight though, sounded like people bailed for some charity game that was going on.

First game was my squad against a 4 reb build. The player was fairly new, but regardless I didnt lose a single ship and he lost all of his. Kept all of mine together and abused bigs like a it was nobodys business.

Second game was against a five tie build I made for my friend. It came down to the wire, but all in all my squad faired better. It would have been better for me if i had took some of his guys head on in stead of going into the middle of the board trying to take out vader. I also made some play mistakes, but I still came out on top :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS