Millenium Falcon Title Card

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:31 PM

I'm creating this thread to talk about the usefulness of the Millenium Falcon Title card.

On paper, it looks great. Being able to add the Evade action to a YT-1300 could help to keep it alive a little longer, with the ship having a 1 agility rating and the card costing only 1.

But then I got to thinking about it.

Given:
1. There will be 5-10 other ships on the board
2. If playing tournament rules, there will be asteroids on the board
3. The large base size
4. Stress maneuvers

With all of these factors, when the fighting starts, it's highly likely that the Falcon won't be able to move anywhere that it won't hit something else, either an asteroid or another ship, therefore losing its action step. About the only open space it will have available to end its maneuver will be behind the other squad, which will likely be a stressful maneuver, again preventing it from taking actions. 

I haven't play-tested it yet (hope to this weekend), so this is all conjecture, but I just think it's not worth having because you'll be losing your action step so much that you won't be able to effectively use it. Maybe I'm wrong, and maybe I'll figure out  better ways to actually play it. Having the 360 firing arc might mean that you can just fly straight and not have to koiogran. I dunno.

Thoughts?

#2 RUOKBustaWolf

RUOKBustaWolf

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:50 PM

You may be right, and the action step may often get skipped, but for 1 point I'd say it's totally worth it for the situations where you will be able to use it.

#3 coastcityo

coastcityo

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:36 PM

Assuming you will get an action, it would be a nice addition to your choices. I know what they say about assumptions, but I figure the chance will arrive occasionally. Especially at only one point.

And, it would be a nice combo for Han. Choose evade as your action, and use Han's special to re-roll.

#4 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:29 PM

Also, with the 360° firing arc, getting behind the other squad doesn't automatically mean k-turn, so perhaps not a red maneuver.  Just a thought.  Time, of course, will tell how useful it actually is.

#5 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:17 AM

The main reason I'm bringing it up is because I was building a squad yesterday with the YT, and i gave it this card. Then I thought about how I would play it, and i thought about how hard it would be to maneuver without collisions. So i got to thinking it wouldn't be worth having. Here's the squad I was thinking of:

Biggs with R2F2
Chewbacca with Draw Their Fire (my favorite new combo), Assault Missiles, and Falcon title card
Gold Sq Pilot with Ion Cannon

So, instead of the title card, I may go with Nien Nunb, so that if I do fly straight through the other squad, it will be a green maneuver. Then I thought I'd bring this up for discussion, since i may be wrong about its usefulness, and I'm always open to other insights as well. :)

#6 dbmeboy

dbmeboy

• Members
  • 2,305 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:26 AM

Both seem reasonable to me. It may depend in part on how the Slave I impacts imperial squad building… you may see fewer swarm builds.

#7 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,366 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:22 AM

I noticed the Falcon had a hard-1 turn on its dial.  Add that to the falcons 360 degree firing arc and I think it might be possible to stay out of the mess that is so common for other ships. 

But none of us have played with the Falcon, in fact all we have done is watched Hothie's (awesome) video.  All we van do is speculate until Feb.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#8 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

Maybe try having the falcon hang around the rear of your squad, and have the other ships deal with any collisions / block any potential overlapped from happening with their low pilot skill points, then your falcon would be relatively free to use its actions. After the initial meetup, do forward 4-5s to speed past the whole mess, and your ability to fire 360 around you shouldn't make turning around too important, thereby allowing you a larger degree of freedom in terms of choosing where to fly. 

I usually deal with collisions by having that one ship I do not want overlapping other stuff at the rear of my squad (usually darth vader with squad leader), so any potential collisions is already somewhat absorbed by my front ships, although this does mean that your ship will get range 1-ed pretty often. Afterwards, I'd try to either speed past the whole mess and turn around, or aim to land on where they currently are if my skill point is higher, so they would not be occupying the same spot after they have already moved, thereby reducing the chance of an overlap from occuring

EDIT: or you could try approaching slowly with speed 1 straights, until you are about quite close to each other, then spring a forward 4-5 on them and get behind them, while abusing your 360 arc to shoot them from behind. That way you are also able to get your assault missile out as well. didn't really work very well for my Ywings because they will be soaking up quite a lot of hits in the initial exchanges, but since the MF has a lot more hp and the evade action to boot, you might find this useful

#9 Surtur

Surtur

• Members
  • 57 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:57 AM

In theory the Falcon should be able to just strafe around the field maneuvering into the area it needs to be in regardless of facing allowing it to maneuver as needed to avoid asteroids and craft.

#10 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 860 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

Hrathen said:

I noticed the Falcon had a hard-1 turn on its dial.  Add that to the falcons 360 degree firing arc and I think it might be possible to stay out of the mess that is so common for other ships. 

But none of us have played with the Falcon, in fact all we have done is watched Hothie's (awesome) video.  All we van do is speculate until Feb.

Small correction. It's Zachbunn's video. i just posted the card wording. Maybe if i play this weekend, I'll see if someone can take video.

#11 JustinKase

JustinKase

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 12:14 PM

hothie said:

Hrathen said:

Small correction. It's Zachbunn's video. i just posted the card wording. Maybe if i play this weekend, I'll see if someone can take video.

That would be cool of you :D  And see if they can get some stills of the mission ;)

#12 Duraham

Duraham

• Members
  • 733 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:20 PM

alternatively, you could use the YT-1300 with the lowest pilot skill and have it block others instead, with that kind of size it would be fairly easy to cause an entire squadron of TIEs to overlap you or something

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS