Photo

What would you think of a ground unit version?

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#1 Zehmyan

Zehmyan

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:05 AM

What if Fantasy Flight Games made a Star Wars Tactical Combat game, along the lines of a WW2 miniatures style game?

same scale as X-wing, and you could have crossover units like Z-95 Headhunters that are fitted for atmosphere maneuvers, and Bombers making bombing runs, as well as ariel ships and troop transports to tie it together. The game could be about tank and cannon placement & air support, with tokens taking the place of soldier squads. the tokens could be very maneuverable, but can only ever move 1… that way the game stays vehicle focused.

It would be a good way to introduce the clone wars era to the system as well.

what would you think of something like that?

#2 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 394 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

I'd love something like that.  Hordes of prepainted teensy weensy Stormtroopers slaughtering even teensier weensier Ewoks!  Yes please!

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook.com/groups/swgon/ Star Wars Gaming Ontario formerly known as Star Wars Miniatures Toronto

#3 Nazull

Nazull

• Members
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:19 AM

Id like a 28mm skirmish kind of game.

Malifaux / 40k size but skirmish more like Malifaux points.

With True Line of Sight,Cover and combat.

#4 meekor

meekor

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:23 AM

lol trying to piece that together was considering 10 mm figures…or  ghq…both are either too big or too small butt that would be awesome though teeny weeny troopers …..Never give up,Never surrender

Never give up... Never surrender...

#5 Norsehound

Norsehound

• Members
  • 779 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

FFG could do a better job of building a surface combat game from scratch than trying to shoe-horn it in to the X-Wing system. Maybe derived from Dust?

#6 Jimula

Jimula

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

I have the old "Assault on Hoth" boardgame lurking somewhere in the back of a cupboard, and that was always fun to play, although the scenario was always the same each time.

I thought that would lend itself well to being scaled up to a foamboard winter battlescene with walkers ans snowspeeders battling it out with each other in 3 dimensions rather than just with the card pieces on stands.

#7 Grave13

Grave13

• Members
  • 112 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:28 AM

R5Don4 said:

I'd love something like that.  Hordes of prepainted teensy weensy Stormtroopers slaughtering even teensier weensier Ewoks!  Yes please!

I was kind of "Meh" about this idea of a ground extension of the game but now that this has been said, Im in!

#8 magadizer

magadizer

2014 X-wing Store Championship Participant

• Members
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:28 PM

Grave13 said:

R5Don4 said:

I was kind of "Meh" about this idea of a ground extension of the game but now that this has been said, Im in!

You got that backwards guys. Ewoks are fierce.

Be seeing you.

#9 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 1,035 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

Honestly, I'm against the idea of a crossover game. Xwing feels like a dogfight game. Ground skirmishes should be kept separate. I would be okay with them making a ground skirmish game since they have the license, but i think it should be separate from the Xwing game. Now, if savvy GM's can incorporate both games into an RPG scenario or something, that would be fun. But I think the Xwing game has so many possible ships waiting, and it has just started, that this game needs to run its course before we think about combining a ground game with it.

The thread for my Let em Fly campaign. Always looking for military overseas addresses to send packages to.

http://community.fan...ort-our-troops/

#10 MechaBri.Zilla

MechaBri.Zilla

• Members
  • 278 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:40 PM

I totally respect this idea.   I would love for there to be some honest competition the 40k line and SW would be ideal for that.  The only thing I have trouble with is the scale of things.  I mean, to match scale with x-wing would require such tiny figures, I don't think that they would include a level of detail that I would enjoy.  I think I would prefer a separate game at the same scale as 40k.

If they could put some serious thought into the system and make it as quick and easy to play as this…  I personally would dump every 40k mini I own and jump directly on the band wagon.  That's saying something, because from Ep1 to now, I've pretty much sworn off Star Wars.

I would have to be Anti-Clone wars…  If I see a single Gungan, FFG will not get a penny of my money.

#11 Torresse

Torresse

• Members
  • 339 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 04:04 AM

I would easily sell my fantasy armies for a starwars version of dust or a simular game

This is one of the main reasons Xwing is awesome! http://community.fan...ake-long/page-4

#12 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:01 AM

I've been whining about this for years, back on the WotC boards (Hothie can confirm!). I'd love to see one of these, but agree that it should designed from the ground up rather than trying to build it off of X-Wing. Making it the same scale might be acceptable, though; that way they could figure out how to use the ships a little bit later. Yeah… an AT-AT @ 1/270 would be just fine. Yeppers!

#13 Hrathen

Hrathen

• Members
  • 1,592 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:17 AM

I would love a land based game.  I also agree that it should probably be built from the ground up.  I trust FFG to come up with something fun.  I want as many star wars mini games as possible.  I only have a couple of concerns about a planet based game.

1) I have too many 28mm games.  I know that this is not what you recommended, but it is the scale most commonly chosen for ground battles.  I would also like to point out that if the game is 28mm, then five or six (or even two) ATATs is out of the question.

2) I have yet to see a game with a larger scale than 28mm that handles infantry well.  Tanks and other vehicles work well, but people don't work like vehicles, they don't fight like vehicles, and in most of the games with really small infantry figure they don't look that cool.  If infantry don't play a very big part of the game, then can Jedi play a big part of the game?  What about Storm Troopers?  Storm Troopers may not be that tough, (though they fared well against Rebel troops in episode IV) but they are one of the most iconic symbols of the Empire.

Putting an end to this distructive conflict and bringing order to the galaxy.

#14 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:18 AM

Just yesterday I posted in another discussion here about how I'd love to see a Battle of Hoth ground version of the game. Basicly a box set with rules, a shield generator piece (so you can do scenarios instead of just staright vs battles), and an AT-AT and/or Snowspeeder. Single expansion packs for the Snowspeeder, Golan cannons, Atgar cannons, AT-AT, and maybe the AT-ST. The AT-AT would be one of the bigger size pieces like the Millennium Falcon, with the others the normal size.

#15 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:15 AM

Well, actually, if I could snap my fingers and have my druthers, I'd go for 1/144. It'd be perfectly manageable; if you want an idea, look no further than F-Toys. The ground vehicles in that line consist of the AT-AT, AT-ST, AT-TE, TIE Crawler, AAT, snowspeeder and even a trooper on speeder bike. Oh, and Lord Vader. The scale works real nice for a table.

1/270 would allow for bigger, cheaper combats and a smaller required play area; but yeah, infantry pretty much disappears at that size. 1/144 is really the smallest size where foot units are recognizable, and viable as miniatures.

#16 herozeromes

herozeromes

• Members
  • 294 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:14 AM

I've been saying since the Core was released that I'd love to see Hoth and Endor expansions.

#17 meekor

meekor

• Members
  • 123 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:22 AM

I can say that the X wing pandoras box has opened and we have just seen a taste of what is yet to come…I did see on on another site that someone has already done a hoth battle in 10mm..Never give up,Never surrender

Never give up... Never surrender...

#18 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 08:04 AM

IG-58 said:

Well, actually, if I could snap my fingers and have my druthers, I'd go for 1/144. It'd be perfectly manageable; if you want an idea, look no further than F-Toys. The ground vehicles in that line consist of the AT-AT, AT-ST, AT-TE, TIE Crawler, AAT, snowspeeder and even a trooper on speeder bike. Oh, and Lord Vader. The scale works real nice for a table.

I bought some of those and wasn't really impressed with the quality. Most of mine constantly had parts falling off.

#19 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 375 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

That's why I routinely use a bit of superglue gel on 'em. The models are quite lovely - and in scale. But regardless, we're talking about an imaginary/desired Fantasy Flight product line; bringing up F-Toys was just to show what one could expect with a gaming line in that scale.

#20 ThadiusCole

ThadiusCole

• Members
  • 101 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:55 AM

I think a ground war version of the game would work better with the Clone wars setting since a majority of those films and animated series focus on the ground battles.  The galactic civil war would be hard to balance when you have one side bringing massive assault walkers and the other fields volunteer soldiers and the odd fixed gun emplacement.  At least in the space combat area both sides have advantages over the other but neither are the outright winners in any regard.  Ground combat would be a slaughter for the imperials everytime, unless the fighting was on Endor of course.

I agree with others that if FFG did decide on a ground version then DUST style models and expansions would suit even if the scale wasn't accurate.  But let's get all of FFG's attention on adding as many starfighters as possible before we head down to the planet's surface yeah :)

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS