Jump to content



Photo

Maneuver Dials Wearing Out


  • Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 GeekZap

GeekZap

    Member

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:05 AM

So I've noticed that my maneuver dials are wearing out pretty quickly. The graphics are rubbing off after repeated use. Granted they are seeing a lot of use. Just wondering if anyone else is seeing this or come up with something to combat it? 



#2 bgFish

bgFish

    Member

  • Members
  • 33 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:18 AM

There are a few threads either here or on boardgamegeek that show people using contact paper to protect the dial faces. That seems to work fairly well.

I do have access to signmaking materials, so I personally used a matte overlaminate film to protect mine. I used a plotter to cut a whole bunch of them for my own use. I just put the film on before I assemble the dials. This route would definitely be a bit more pricey than the contact paper and is irreversible, but if you're willing to take the expense, your friendly local sign shop should be able to help you out.



#3 GeekZap

GeekZap

    Member

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:29 AM

 Huh, I wouldn't have thought of that. I think I'll give the contact paper a shot since my original dials are already pretty worn out. Thanks for the info.



#4 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:31 AM

I used clear packing tape on mine, way cheaper than contact paper (since I had some laying around).



#5 GeekZap

GeekZap

    Member

  • Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:34 AM

 On a similar note, has anyone found a decent way to take apart the maneuver dial after it's been snapped together?



#6 Parakitor

Parakitor

    Member

  • Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

I only have one dial wearing out on mine. It's the X-wing dial that my brother-in-law used when I played him several games in a row. He had trouble deciding what maneuver to choose and sat there rubbing the dial with his thumb. I didn't realize it was a problem until several days later.

Packing tape might work, but it's probably not acid-free. That said, acids in the tape will probably not wear it down as fast as a dial exposed to oily fingers.


"That starship won't fly, Bastila."


#7 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:56 AM

GeekZap said:

 On a similar note, has anyone found a decent way to take apart the maneuver dial after it's been snapped together?

I used my pocket knife going slowing around on the BOTTOM of the dial. If you work slowly enough, it'll come out.



#8 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

    Member

  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:57 AM

Thanks for the heads up about this… I've not had this problem yet so it never occurred to me.

Also, thanks for the idea about the packing tape… works great and easy enough to trim with an exacto knife.

Is contact paper ACID free?  May convert to that for the rest if so and if it's equally easy (just did two so far). 

The plastic pin is a bit of a pain to get out, but I found if you pry the small one from the larger one it is a bit easier (I used my thumb nail for the first two, but may convert to a small screwdriver if it doesn't damage the dial).  Fortunately, I remember putting the smaller one in the top of all mine so it shouldn't be too bad.


REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

 


#9 Melkor503

Melkor503

    Member

  • Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:02 AM

 This is some really great info.  I would not have even thought about those dials wearing out.  Thanks for the input.



#10 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:05 AM

El_Tonio said:

Also, thanks for the idea about the packing tape… works great and easy enough to trim with an exacto knife.

Is contact paper ACID free?  May convert to that for the rest if so and if it's equally easy (just did two so far). 

Contact paper is NOT acid free, unless you get an acid free roll (which cost way more than packing tape.

What I did was use packing tape on the number part of the dials and the other face that rubs up against that side. That way I have 2 slick/smooth surfaces rubbing up against each other.



#11 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

    Member

  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:21 AM

Is this what folks mean by contact paper (i.e., is it also called shelf liner)?

www.amazon.com/Duck-1115496-Laminate-Adhesive-12-Inch/dp/B002AS9NC6/ref=sr_1_2

Note, there are three on this page, if you select 24 feet by 18 inches it specifically says it is acid free (the other two do not specifically say this).

It is $12.  Looks like you get a lot for that and I could use it for other things as well.


REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

 


#12 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

    Member

  • Members
  • 404 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:23 AM

Alternatively, what do others think about packaging tape.  Worked perfectly on the two I did… just worried about it turning yellow or damaging the dials.  No rush on doing the rest, but if this is safe it works well and is very easy to do.


REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

 


#13 R5Don4

R5Don4

    Member

  • Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:36 AM

FarkonGnome said:

El_Tonio said:

 

Also, thanks for the idea about the packing tape… works great and easy enough to trim with an exacto knife.

Is contact paper ACID free?  May convert to that for the rest if so and if it's equally easy (just did two so far). 

 

 

Contact paper is NOT acid free, unless you get an acid free roll (which cost way more than packing tape.

What I did was use packing tape on the number part of the dials and the other face that rubs up against that side. That way I have 2 slick/smooth surfaces rubbing up against each other.

 

You are aware that packing tape is also not acid free.  Have you seen what 8 year old packing tape looks like?  Depending on the conditions of storage you may be disappointed.  Always keep them out of extreme temperatures and hopefully they will stay stable.


Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/


#14 KommissarK

KommissarK

    Member

  • Members
  • 1,499 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:52 AM

While all the suggestions on how to preserve the dial are quite interesting, I must pose the question:

Is there any real reason to use the dial? There are other printed sources on the maneuvers available to each ship. As long as you are selecting a valid maneuver, and assigning it in secret to the ship in question (say, face down piece of paper), is there really any issue? (This may hinge off of whether or not there's a ship ability that actually causes the dial to spin in a certain direction).



#15 FarkonGnome

FarkonGnome

    Member

  • Members
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:18 AM

R5Don4 said:

FarkonGnome said:

 

El_Tonio said:

 

Also, thanks for the idea about the packing tape… works great and easy enough to trim with an exacto knife.

Is contact paper ACID free?  May convert to that for the rest if so and if it's equally easy (just did two so far). 

 

 

Contact paper is NOT acid free, unless you get an acid free roll (which cost way more than packing tape.

What I did was use packing tape on the number part of the dials and the other face that rubs up against that side. That way I have 2 slick/smooth surfaces rubbing up against each other.

 

 

 

You are aware that packing tape is also not acid free.  Have you seen what 8 year old packing tape looks like?  Depending on the conditions of storage you may be disappointed.  Always keep them out of extreme temperatures and hopefully they will stay stable.

I use Duck HP260 High Performance Sealing Tape -- it's non-yellowing and UV resistant.

I figure by the time this stuff goes yellow, FFG or some other company will have produced acrylic movement dials.

 



#16 R5Don4

R5Don4

    Member

  • Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:36 AM

 Ah, very good.  It's definitely worth using the good stuff for this application.


Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/


#17 dandirk

dandirk

    Member

  • Members
  • 242 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:00 AM

 Just an idea but couldn't you just print movement cards if your dials ever degrade to uselessness?

The idea would be the same, place a card next to your ship etc.

You could put ship icons on the different moves to indicate they were allowed etc.



#18 R5Don4

R5Don4

    Member

  • Members
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 08:05 AM

 You could.  You couldn't use them in an official event, but outside of that sure.


Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/


#19 Parakitor

Parakitor

    Member

  • Members
  • 893 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:09 AM

 I think the whole problem is just aesthetics. The actual maneuvers never get touched because they are on the lower part of the dial , so they're not getting rubbed away. It's just the pretty surface of the upper piece of cardboard that is getting worn. Is it the same for everybody else?


"That starship won't fly, Bastila."


#20 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

    Member

  • Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Do you guys prefer metal or wood?






© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS