The Enemy Within…Musing on Price and Production

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 GalaxyUC

GalaxyUC

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:20 AM

$60…seriously? I mean, I'm okay with it, as long as the production quality meets the price. I'm a little behind on any talk about the content. I have never played TEW, but I recognize that it is said to be one of the greatest campaigns ever written, for ANY rpg, not just Warhammer. My group and I have been very excited about it's 3rd Quar-….er…eventual release for quite some time.

So, here is what I am hoping for for $60. You guys let me know if this has already been discussed ad nauseum. But, do you think we'll be getting a good box? I know that's petty, but please, no more flimsy boxes that tear and crease. The Core Set and the Adventurer's Toolkit I thought would be the standard and I thought that was awesome. However, that did not appear to last very long. Are we getting a two-piece box for this set?

Handouts, I have noticed that we are getting fewer and fewer with each boxed set. I love them! I think they add a lot and are handy for reference. I'm sure tons of people make their own, but I like official stuff.

One-book or will it be like 3 separate books?

Something..ANYTHING for my Wood Elf player…he is STARVING!!! for information.

Thanks Guy!

#2 Johannes_Tippmeister

Johannes_Tippmeister

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 05:03 AM

I haven't heard anything about the production values and my guess is as good as yours. That said, Graeme Davis says a few things about the campaign's  content on the 'Small but Vicious Special 4 : The Writer Within' podcast. Maybe you can read something between the lines:

http://www.d20radio.com/sbv/?p=142

#3 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:24 AM

I understand that there will be three adventures amounting to 30 sessions of game play, maps and handouts (hope they will follow the standards set by TEW the original in that regard).

That means 2$ per session of game play. Have your players chip in 50 cents each every night and bingo!

———
The time of change has come!

#4 flyndad

flyndad

• Members
  • 147 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:14 PM

Hi Galaxy,

Don't know if you have already looked into it, but if you are hungry for some Elf "stuff", The Book of Asur will NOT disappoint.

It was created by yesnopes and it is an amazing, Amazing, AMAZING, beautiful piece of work. It isn't "official" but it should be,…

Check it out here:    dailyempire.guildredemund.net/2012/03/the-book-of-the-asur.html

As I said above,.. You WILL NOT be disappointed, and your Elf character should be VERY excited with all the new possibilities. 

Please post back and let me know what ya think,… 

#5 Emirikol

Emirikol

~Ĉiam subskribi antaŭ-nup kun Fimir

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

We have made the Yepsnopes stuff "official" for our campaign.  None of it is broken and it gives new options.

jh

#6 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

GalaxyUC said:

Something..ANYTHING for my Wood Elf player…he is STARVING!!! for information.

I actually do not believe that The Enemy Within box will contain any significant amount of information for wood elves (or high elves for that matter). The original campaign was set in the empire and the NPC's were mostly human and some dwarven. This new Enemy Within campaign might be different in that aspect, but I would not get my hopes up.

If it's just information he's starving for, I'd suggest checking out the Wood Elf army book (for Warhammer Fantasy Battles). I've leafed through it and it's quite nice. The different army books for the battles game are a great source for information/fuff/lore/artwork.

#7 Yepesnopes

Yepesnopes

• Members
  • 1,411 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 07:56 PM

Regarding the new TEW, I am a bit worried about its plot. I would like to see something else than the classic "Nobles and Chaos Cults" stuff. This kind of aventures have been already touched in every single aspect in warhammer, and the warhammer world is so rich. There are hundred other threats, skaven, orcs, undead, vampires, civil wars…

The Book of the Asur - High Elf fan supplement

The Dark Side - Witches, Warlocks, Dark Magic and more

Secrets of the Anvil - Advanced Dwarf careers and runes

Dice statistics calculator for SW EotE

#8 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 04:12 AM

Since TEW2 is not the same scenario, we'll have to see I guess how much of the old material can be used as well.

jh

#9 Grumbold

Grumbold

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

Considering how close it is to release day (supposedly) the amount of information on its contents is worryingly slight. Amazon UK have even removed its sparse listing for the product.

#10 Jericho

Jericho

• Members
  • 376 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:25 AM

It's an adventure with maps and handouts, a few cards etc. The 60$ is worth it if the story is good, not if the component list goes on for pages…

My two cents.

JGJ

———
The time of change has come!

#11 Grumbold

Grumbold

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

Page count would be nice… but since my preorder has been cancelled I'll just wait until the experienced players here have voiced their opinions. I'm just concerned that this is showing poor organisation and will inevitably result in poor initial sales whether or not the product is good. Difficult to get great sales abroad if you can't order…

#12 GalaxyUC

GalaxyUC

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:30 AM

I just want a nice box…realy…or atleast give me a hardbound book if you're going to give me another crappy box. Just want my money's worth.

#13 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 03:16 PM

The Gathering Storm was a 3 part campaign as well was it not?  Would you pay $60 for TGS?  We finished that entire campaign in 4-5 sessions if I recall correctly and it was geared for 15 sessions or something (someone refresh my memory).

In regards to everything else, it would be wise to consider FFG's motto (that has been assigned to them by everyone I know):  "Its not personal.  Its just business."  Don't set yourself up mentally for whatever they choose to put out.  It just is what it is to them.

:)

jh

#14 GalaxyUC

GalaxyUC

• Members
  • 169 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 05:39 AM

To answer your question, no, I definitely would NOT pay $60 for the Gathering Storm, a mediocre campaign at, best. The only thing that really made it worth it was some extra standee we were shorted in the Core Boxed Set. On the flip side, do I think Core Boxed Set and Adventurer's Toolkit were worth the amount I paid for them? Absolutely. I paid full price. I only paid $20 for a sealed copy of the Gathering Storm sitting on a shelf at my LGS. And I really think that's all it was worth.

#15 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

Looks like everything's getting dumped by FFG now, so it's an excellent time to buy into a game system who's future was suddenly thrown into question.  As the rules are essentially complete, additional content could probably be extracted from WFB and other fan stuff (namely elves).

If they choose a new edition, we are going to have an incredible shrinking of the already cloven population of this game's players, but again, fluff stuff can be still generally used.  If they're just planning a fire-sale to dump their overstock and then continue it with periodic PODs and a once-a-year box, I wouldn't be surprised either.  In any case, it would be interesting to know the real reasons why they haven't done better in getting players to join this game, but I suspect their only real release being an 'optional' $60 boxed set campaign doesn't help the situation.  I'm sure our group will get their money out of it though ;)

jh

#16 cparadis

cparadis

• Members
  • 215 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 07:16 PM

I definitely plan on picking up TEW. Regardless of whether it is one last hurrah or just an awesome product in the cycle of an awesome game, I'm excited for it. 

#17 k7e9

k7e9

• Members
  • 849 posts

Posted 21 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

cparadis said:

I definitely plan on picking up TEW. Regardless of whether it is one last hurrah or just an awesome product in the cycle of an awesome game, I'm excited for it. 

I agree to this! :) I'm very excited about TEW.

#18 GoblynKing

GoblynKing

• Members
  • 331 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:54 AM

k7e9 said:

cparadis said:

I agree to this! :) I'm very excited about TEW.

Here here!

#19 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:01 AM

Let's talk about the old TEW:  rpggeek.com/rpgseries/281/the-enemy-within-campaign  -- quoted from:rpggeek

Any of you played it before?  Did you like it?  If so?  Why?  SPOILERS WELCOME.

"The Enemy Within Campaign is a campaign for Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st Edition).

The campaign theme is one of treachery, with hidden powers of Chaos plotting the downfall of the Empire. The original material was published between 1986-1989 and was a big success with fans, being voted the Best RPG Campaign of all time by the French RPG Magazine Casus Belli.

The Enemy Within Campaign originally consisted of six books:

1. The Enemy Within
2. Shadows over Bögenhafen
3. Death on the Reik
4a. Power Behind the Throne
4b. Warhammer City (A city-sourcebook for Power Behind the Throne.)
5. Something Rotten in Kislev
6. Empire in Flames

Books 1-2 were later combined in the volume Warhammer Campaign. Books 1-2-3 were also combined as Warhammer Adventure. Books 4a-4b were collected in Warhammer City of Chaos.

When the campaign was re-printed by Hogshead Publishing in the early 90s, they incorporated The Enemy Within text into Shadows over Bögenhafen. The Hogshead edition of Power Behind the Throne also includes an additional short adventure that was designed to make easier the transition between Death on the Reik and Power Behind the Throne.

James Wallis of Hogshead Publishing intended to re-design the final part of the campaign from the ground up. The final book would have been called Empire in Chaos. Sadly, this last book was never published (for more details on this, see the entry for Empire in Flames)."

jh

#20 Emirikol

Emirikol

• Members
  • 5,101 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:02 AM

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS