C'tan Shard?!

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 SekMeth

SekMeth

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:48 AM

I'm currently running a campaign in which the Deathwatch discovered the existence of Necrons. In the upcoming mission, I would like them to combat a C'tan Shard. I have read the Tome of Fate, which includes quite some information about the Necrons, but alas, no information on the C'tan Shard.I am looking for some stats and powers for it. Any ideas?

Some ideas:

Converting some of the stats from the TT-game to WH40Krpg

WS 50

BS 50

S 70

T 70

Ag ?? (perhaps about 40?)

Int ?? (it is a god fragment, so it is probably smart, also 40?)

Per ?? (it is a god fragment, so it is probably perceptive, also 40?)

WP ?? something like 60?

Fel ?? something like 40?

I am looking for a C'tan Shard of the Nightbringer, so his weapon could be  a Warscythe. It has some great stats which would boost its melee skill/damage.

As you can see, a lot of questions, help is very much appreciated!

#2 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 03:27 AM

The Outer Reach has C'Tan Shards. They're quite powerful, far more so than what you're proposing. Actually, TOR has almost everything you could ever want as a GM for Necrons…except Monoliths :( I highly recommend you pick up that supplement and use it rather than Tome of Fate.

#3 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:32 AM

Yeah, I was bummed that they excluded Monoliths from Outer Reach, but then again, it's not like they didn't give enough powerful Necron foes. :P

But yeah, the Outer Reach C'Tan Shards are fantastic.

#4 SekMeth

SekMeth

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:45 AM

Cool! Didn't know that! Will have a look for that supplement!

#5 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 07:51 AM

It's overall a great book, giving a new Advanced Specialty and some low-level, affordable Relics in addition to mounds of fluff and a whole slew of Necron stats, so it'd be good to pick up in any case.

#6 SekMeth

SekMeth

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 08:03 AM

Are the Necrons in The Outer Reach similar to those in Tome of Fate?

#7 Alekzanter

Alekzanter

• Members
  • 337 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 10:38 AM

SekMeth said:

Are the Necrons in The Outer Reach similar to those in Tome of Fate?

To my understanding, the same person worked on Necrons in both publications. There are major differences between the core rules systems, but there's actually more…much more for 'Crons in TOR than in ToF. There are some minor differences in the actual Necron special rules (in ToF) but again I'm going to recommend you pick up The Outer Reach. I have both publications, and in my opinion, Necrons in The Outer Reach are a bigger bang for your buck. There are also some really kickass NPCs in TOR…

#8 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Are there types of Necron in Tome of Fire that are not present in Outer Reach? I noticed that the Tomb Stalker still only exists in the BC core book, so I'm just wondering.

#9 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 02:55 PM

I think Outer Reach has more Necron entries over all (certainly the vehicles and C’Tan Shards). They are roughly similar because the person who wrote them for Tome of Fate then went and re-worked them for The Outer Reach.

So you can use the Tome of Fate ‘Crons (Tomecrons? Fatecrons?) with Deathwatch, but would be better served with The Outer Reach as it’s all specific to the Jericho Reach and the Deathwatch, so much better for Deathwatch GM’s. Plus your players might end up using the new Dead Station Vigilant speciality. It’s a very nice speciality that we had great fun testing.

Plus you won’t have to guess/make up the rules for C’tan any more, as they’re right there in the book. And they are really dangerous!

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#10 SekMeth

SekMeth

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 11:36 PM

Now I really want the book! Too bad, I can't seem to find a shop near here which sells it. Guess it isn't available for download from DriveTru either.

#11 Luthor Harkon

Luthor Harkon

• Members
  • 632 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:46 AM

Black Crusade: Hand of Corruption SPOILER

The Black Crusade adventure Hand of Corruption has stats for a C'tan shard. Its stats are more akin to SB 17 and TB 17…

Am I allowed to post the whole stats or do I break any copyright laws thereby?

#12 H.B.M.C.

H.B.M.C.

Freelance Writer/Play-Tester

• Members
  • 1,437 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 03:26 AM

SekMeth said:

Now I really want the book! Too bad, I can't seem to find a shop near here which sells it. Guess it isn't available for download from DriveTru either.

As the book just came out I don't think we'll see it on Drive Thru for another couple of weeks.

Which reminds me… I should really order that book! 

BYE

Matt Eustace. Contributing Author Credits: Church of the Damned, The Lathe Worlds, The Lathe Worlds - The Lost Dataslate, Only War Core Rulebook, Hammer of the Emperor, Shield of Humanity, Tome of Fate, Tome of Blood, Tome of Excess and Tome of Decay.

The views expressed in this post are my own. I do not speak for or on behalf of Fantasy Flight Games.

#13 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:50 AM

Necrons are still asleep during the Achillus Crusade.

Outside a few small encounters. Very VERY few people know about them, and they don't go cruising with their monoliths.

Of course, I've not seen TOR yet, so anything new in there is exempt from previous statement.

#14 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:25 AM

Outer Reach presents the Necrons as stirring, with enough encounters for an Advanced Specialty which can take Forbidden Lore: Necrons and use WP to resist effects from Necron tech, etc., so the Crusade itself is not fighting them, but a couple high-ranking members of the Dynasty have been at least marginally identified, indicating enough activity that it's not inconceivable for a major conflict to occur at any time.

And given that they gave stats for Annihilation and Command Barges, Ghost and Doomsday Arks, and C'Tan shards, it just seemed odd that Monoliths were left out.

#15 SekMeth

SekMeth

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 10:22 AM

Thnx all for the replies.

In my campaign, the players stumbled upon a Necron Lord which was captured and unable to escape. The Lord had something they needed, and by accident they set him free. He awoke some of his retinue and escaped to a far off planet. They are almost unknown, except from some long forgotten journals. The players anti Xenos traits/talents, don't work against Necrons since they are so "new".

#16 herichimo

herichimo

• Members
  • 869 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:47 PM

SekMeth said:

They are almost unknown, except from some long forgotten journals.

When I stated they were almost unheard of, I of course meant of humanity. The eldar are aware of the necrons. Perhaps you could use that as a mission or complication. Talking to or trying to convince some eldar to talk to the team for some infor about necrons. You'll have to figure out how the Imperium found out the eldar knew stuff about the necrons in the first place though, perhaps a mechanicum expedition witnessed and were (unintentionally) saved by an eldar raid on a waking tomb world.

Since the orks were specifically designed to fight the necrons maybe it would be possible, and cool, to have a group of them come into contact and then star developing (read: remembering) ork tactics to fight them (very slight variations of "run at 'em wit' choppas!") where deathwatch librarians might be able to glean some knowledge from the ork racial memory (through significant, difficult, and very time consuming mind probes back at a fortress, not in the field) from a captured specimen (more important(boss/mek/dok)/intelligent(grot)the better results).

#17 SekMeth

SekMeth

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 07:13 PM

Thnx for the cool adventure hooks! Will take that Eldar thing into account. I love Orks, but for some peculiar reason not in my RPG, so won't be using that, but still a great hook! Perhaps someday :-)

#18 venkelos

venkelos

• Members
  • 1,101 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:59 AM

Captain Ventris said:

And given that they gave stats for Annihilation and Command Barges, Ghost and Doomsday Arks, and C'Tan shards, it just seemed odd that Monoliths were left out.

When my book arrives, I will agree with you, however, I suspect they didn't want to stat a moving building. To me, anyway, they make many Land Raiders, and even Baneblades, look a little puny. That won't stop me from using formulating plans for them, and maybe borrowing rules for RT Teleportariums, if the Veil of Darkness isn't up to my snuff. Shouldn't be too hard

#19 Captain Ventris

Captain Ventris

• Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 03:41 PM

Hey, they statted a friggin' Heirophant in Jericho Reach!

#20 Gurkhal

Gurkhal

• Members
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:41 PM

herichimo said:

Since the orks were specifically designed to fight the necrons maybe it would be possible, and cool, to have a group of them come into contact and then star developing (read: remembering) ork tactics to fight them (very slight variations of "run at 'em wit' choppas!") where deathwatch librarians might be able to glean some knowledge from the ork racial memory (through significant, difficult, and very time consuming mind probes back at a fortress, not in the field) from a captured specimen (more important(boss/mek/dok)/intelligent(grot)the better results).

I like this angle with the Orks since I've been looking at some way to introduce the beloved greenskins into the Jerico Reach in numbers. Might run some game where the rising Necron activity is acting like a becon to the Orks to found a great Waaagh that could smash right into the crusade and bring pain for everyone in the Reach.

The question will not be how to stop the Orks, but how to make the most out of their invasion. The Tyranids in particular could use for a relentless enemy and the same with Chaos and the Necrons.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS