• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 WolfOfTheNorth

WolfOfTheNorth

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hello there,

I've been playing AGoT for a while now, but I would like to be sure of some things. I've been searching the forums but I still haven't found a clear answer.

1. Duplicates are only considered as a "duplicate" only on unique cards. So this means for example, I can play King Robb's companions (non-unique) side by side, and consider them as two characters, kneel them separately, use each of their renown ability? etc ?

2. If I have Eddard Stark for example in game, and he dies and on the next drawing phase i get this card again, can I play it (by paying the gold of course) in the next marshaling round? I think I read somewhere in the forums, that once a card which has duplicate dies, it renders the other ones in hand useless? Altough I think I got it wrong…

3. Attachements: For example, Bowl of brown is a non-unique attachment. I assume, if I have it twice, I can attach it to, two different charecters ?

4. Can I choose to play a non-unique card as a duplicate?

To sum it up: multiple cards with the same name are considered and played as duplicates when they are unique, and they are considered like two different ones when they are not unique?

Thank you very much,

#2 -Istaril

-Istaril

• Members
  • 794 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

Yes on your summary; you can have all 3 copies of your non-unique "Bowl of Brown", but only one copy of a unique card (although it may be double-duped), but note that if a unique card you control is in the "dead" pile, you cannot play or take control of a card with the same title. The same does not go for a unique card in your discard pile.

This extends itself to cards with the same title, but different card types. Unique direwolves exist as both a character card and an attachment - if you played the attachment first, you could play the character version as a duplicate (and vice versa), and if the attachment is discarded you could play the character version later. If the character version is killed and ends up in your dead pile, you would not be able to play the attachment version.

#3 Thanos Voidseeker

Thanos Voidseeker

• Members
  • 49 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 09:26 AM

1. Yes, correct all the way.

2. Indeed, if Eddard (or any other unique character) is in your dead pile (NOT your discard pile) you may not play him again (unless you somehow remove him from the dead pile - there are a few cards with such effects.

3. You can even attach them to the same character (not that it would have any extra effects)

4. As a duplicate on a unique character you mean? There are a few cards that allow you to do that, but they are the exception rather than the rule. So, usually, the answer is no.

Don't forget - there is no non-unique duplicate. Duplicate is only the card that you can attach to your unique character in order to protect him from harm (usually a second card of the same name). Non-unique characters are just characters and there may be as many of them on the battlefield as the players wish, under any player's control.

#4 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,641 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

WolfOfTheNorth said:

1. Duplicates are only considered as a "duplicate" only on unique cards. So this means for example, I can play King Robb's companions (non-unique) side by side, and consider them as two characters, kneel them separately, use each of their renown ability? etc ?
Correct. This is the basic difference between non-unique and unique cards.

WolfOfTheNorth said:

2. If I have Eddard Stark for example in game, and he dies and on the next drawing phase i get this card again, can I play it (by paying the gold of course) in the next marshaling round? I think I read somewhere in the forums, that once a card which has duplicate dies, it renders the other ones in hand useless? Altough I think I got it wrong…
The rule is that you cannot play a copy of a unique card that is in your dead pile. This is not the same things as not being able to play a copy of a unique card that died. Eddard from the Core Set is a good example because he is Stalwart. When he dies, he goes to the top of your deck, not to your dead pile. So, when you draw him again next round, if you want to play him, you look at your dead pile. He's not in there (even though a card named "Eddard Stark" died last round), so you can play him.

WolfOfTheNorth said:

3. Attachements: For example, Bowl of brown is a non-unique attachment. I assume, if I have it twice, I can attach it to, two different charecters ?
Correct. This is the same concept as your question #1.

WolfOfTheNorth said:

4. Can I choose to play a non-unique card as a duplicate?
Short of having a card effect that allows you to do so, no. Again, this is the basic difference between non-unique and unique cards. You cannot choose to treat one like the other, just because it would be helpful.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS