Photo

List of things I would have done differently, in hindsight, before and during AGOT Worlds 2012

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 finitesquarewell

finitesquarewell

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:58 AM

___

Edited by finitesquarewell, 14 July 2013 - 07:47 AM.

#2 Dobbler

Dobbler

• Members
  • 822 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:22 AM

finitesquarewell said:

(~In keeping with this amusing and enjoyable “prince of darkness” image the community has bestowed upon me, I'd like to announce that the DC meta is willing to negotiate the payment of a monthly stipend with anyone able and willing to regularly and accurately report on Bruno's playtesting activities over in LA. Offer extended, too, to MO residents regularly playing with Greg.)

Don't make me regret inviting Rick to drive a few hours to play with us on any of his free weekends.

Otherwise, thanks for writing a post that will allow the community to continue to see you as the villain.

#3 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:26 AM

I see I get slops and props for the same thing. Unfortunately, I hadn't quite figured out the power level of Hellholt Engineer at GenCon, until I was in the semi-finals round and went for 5+ rounds without drawing into one (still reached 13 power). I kept kicking myself for not using my Summoning Season to grab the Engineer when I had the chance. The other three rush players together had 7-8 locations that knelt during the challenges phase…it would have been an easy win with just one copy of that Engineer, and assuming I took that lesson to heart, I think I could have pulled out an overall win at the finals as well. (Ugh, live and learn.)

As for the slops, sorry for the failure to warn you. I honestly didn't at all predict a popular negative reaction to the appearance of good control decks in melee. In fact, my prediction for Saturday's headline would probably have been something like: "For the First Time Ever, Control Deck Wins Melee Championship!" Boy, what a disappointment when I checked the FFG threads on Saturday morning.

#4 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:27 AM

finitesquarewell said:

replete with the near-run-on sentences he's usually too lazy to edit. 

QFT

finitesquarewell said:

One final suggestion: Allow, for a moment, your head to explode at the thought of how the melee might have turned out had Corey decided to skip his long-planned trip to the wine country of Virginia this previous weekend.

Or even if Brian made the finals. A 4-way Martell fest? If they DQ'ed four players, who would win?!

-----

While I am sad that I didn't make it this year, I'm more sad I didn't make your prop list; but at least I didn't get slopped. :(

#5 finitesquarewell

finitesquarewell

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:41 AM

___

#6 finitesquarewell

finitesquarewell

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:47 AM

___

#7 finitesquarewell

finitesquarewell

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:50 AM

___

#8 Kidlet

Kidlet

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:12 AM

I give props to Butzlaff for not taking a whip to us for losing… Nice one Dobbler and Mathlete. At the end of the day we are very good friends.

I also give props to Ryan Jones for just straight up being a man. Patron tequila… Chilled… Delicious

And the whole party at the Hotel. Very happy I went to that. Was a blast.

One more prop to Rachel for driving us around that night and hopefully you didn't get into trouble.

Sorry for party rocking!

#9 widowmaker93

widowmaker93

• Members
  • 238 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:31 AM

Dobbler said:

finitesquarewell said:

(~In keeping with this amusing and enjoyable “prince of darkness” image the community has bestowed upon me, I'd like to announce that the DC meta is willing to negotiate the payment of a monthly stipend with anyone able and willing to regularly and accurately report on Bruno's playtesting activities over in LA. Offer extended, too, to MO residents regularly playing with Greg.)

Don't make me regret inviting Rick to drive a few hours to play with us on any of his free weekends.

Otherwise, thanks for writing a post that will allow the community to continue to see you as the villain.

i don't think there is anything he could write that would sway us from that opinion. :P

#10 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:52 AM

widowmaker93 said:

Dobbler said:

finitesquarewell said:

i don't think there is anything he could write that would sway us from that opinion. :P

Perhaps he's more of a foil for the protagonist. It let's people cheer more for John Bruno. When I watched the live stream, I thought Erick should be wearing a black hat, and Bruno a white. Although, in reality, maybe he's more Chaotic Neutral than True Evil(?)

#11 finitesquarewell

finitesquarewell

• Members
  • 497 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:13 AM

___

Edited by finitesquarewell, 14 July 2013 - 07:48 AM.

#12 Twn2dn

Twn2dn

• Members
  • 1,274 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:23 AM

@Erick: Jeez, you really do like to fan the flames. /shakes head

@Everyone else: Maybe we can just ignore the ridiculous posts and discuss the more serious stuff? Not sure that's possible anymore, but one can hope….

#13 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 2,996 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:24 AM

Twn2dn said:

@Erick: Jeez, you really do like to fan the flames. /shakes head

@Everyone else: Maybe we can just ignore the ridiculous posts and discuss the more serious stuff? Not sure that's possible anymore, but one can hope….

Agreed. Ridiculous is not quite the word I would have used but I do agree with you on both points. Let's try and make something constructive rather than continued flaming and counter flaming.

#14 mathlete

mathlete

• Members
  • 160 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:32 PM

As much as Erick likes to be the villain and feeds off of it, there is one thing that you cannot take away from him…he is one of the games best players.  I commend him for his performance at Worlds.  He was the only player to make the final table in Joust and Melee and had it not been for the DQ, he would've been Overall World Champion for a third time (~and a third time without winning an individual event).  Erick (and Corey) have some great ideas and are 2 of the 3 (long with Greg Atkinson) deck designers that I know.

#15 Francisco G.

Francisco G.

• Members
  • 141 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:42 PM

~well, thats karma for you xD. Now it will be better for Erick not to go to Europe!!

I posted a question in another thread for you Erick (not directly cause i thought you wouldn't read it)…..Did you consider the posibility of having almost 25% of the field with your deck?? If you did you are a far better strategist that what i thought ;) 

#16 Danigral

Danigral

• Members
  • 803 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:57 AM

Francisco G. said:

~well, thats karma for you xD. Now it will be better for Erick not to go to Europe!!

I posted a question in another thread for you Erick (not directly cause i thought you wouldn't read it)…..Did you consider the posibility of having almost 25% of the field with your deck?? If you did you are a far better strategist that what i thought ;) 

It will be interesting to see if anyone at Stahleck "stoops to conquer" now that his decklist is spoiled. Everyone will be running location hate and Dissension, just in case…

Almost 600 views and only 14 responses?! I'm sure Erick wanted a bigger splash than that. lol

#17 fhornmikey

fhornmikey

• Members
  • 181 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:13 AM

AGoT DC Meta said:

It will be interesting to see if anyone at Stahleck "stoops to conquer" now that his decklist is spoiled. Everyone will be running location hate and Dissension, just in case…

Almost 600 views and only 14 responses?! I'm sure Erick wanted a bigger splash than that. lol

Perhaps people have finally gotten wise to his ways?

#18 Kennon

Kennon

• Members
  • 1,808 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:20 AM

I'm sure he did. It's pretty obvious that he relishes playing the villain.

#19 dcdennis

dcdennis

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:27 AM

Kennon said:

I'm sure he did. It's pretty obvious that he relishes playing the villain.

ok fine ill come clean. erick hired me to be DCs lovable forum troll counter-villian so that we wouldnt get chased out of every tourney with torches and pitchforks. He pays me in deck surgery. 

and now, my favorite quote from last night's global meta game discussion, with name redacted to protect the innocent should he or she not wish to identify themselves:

[11/14/2012 10:07:06 PM] [REDACTED]: the game is just so much more fun these days with dennis involved

#20 rings

rings

• Members
  • 1,253 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

finitesquarewell said:

Rings, for forgetting to make good on the pledge I weaseled out of him early Saturday to buy me, Rick, and Dennis drinks for making mock of the competitive melee format he so detests;

Really?  By that time I had a good head-start (I have found I can't watch after I lose anymore, I get too crazy) and don't remember much   You three would be the only three I didn't buy drinks for that night…and I think Rick might have gotten one at one point but can't be sure!  Sorry!

Seriously though congrats!  You certainly have a long history of success - even in 'the only game that matters' (Joust).    ~Someday hopefully we can let you in the club of the true winners with Corey…

Oh, King eh? Very nice...

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS