• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:32 AM

so i have got to the point where its been so long since the last news preview (yep…i brought it up again) that i want to talk lotr so i end up creating things like this

here's some ideas of mine, feel free to add your own or comment

Banner of The White Tree

attatchment , leadership

cost 3

attatch to a gondor character

exhaust banner of the white tree to return 1 gondor ally from your discard pile to your hand. you may play that card next turn for -1 cost

Sharpen your swords

event, tactics

cost 1

exhuast a weapon attatchment to give attatched character +3 attack until the end of the phase

Key to the armoury

attatchment, tactics, unique

cost 2

exaust key to the armoury to search your hand for 1 weapon or armour attatchment and add it to your hand

My Deviantart profile. Infrared Art http://richsabre.deviantart.com/

My Portfolio http://richardbyers.portfoliobox.me/

#2 John85

John85

• Members
  • 264 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:10 AM

These look great rich! I wonder if BoTWT is overpowered though (you'd know better than I though, as you have more play experience).

#3 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:23 AM

I thought I'd be good at this but I feel I suck. But it is hard to design cards without playtesting.

As for the Banner, I would suggest to drop the discount. I cannot tell whether it be too powerful like this but it may be just easier with the rules to drop the second line.

As for my suggestion…

Forlong (unique)

Leadership, Ally, Cost 3

Willpower 1

Attack 2

Defence 2

Hit Points 2

Outlands. Noble.

Action: Exhaust Forlong to search the top five cards of your deck for any Outlands card and add it to your hand. Shuffle the rest back to your deck.

#4 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

@john- thanks! i think i agree with you and lleimmoen, the banner is rather powerful, especially if it were combod with a deck full of cheap allies and steward of gondor

@lleimmoen-looks great, thats what im actually hoping numenor will bring us- nicely rounded allies which are useful in many circumstances

rich

#5 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

on a similar note if anyone goes to deviantart.com and searches in 'fantasy fight games' and presses 'newest' on the left (or click here), it comes up with a sword, dagger and elven garden or something similar…..wonder if theyre upcoming cards?

rich

#6 karagh

karagh

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:34 AM

I like Sharpen your Swords.

Banner of The White Tree, should be unique, and needs discarding a card and removing the cost bonus. It could add 1 or 2 willpower. As it's now, is a free ally in play every turn with Pelargir Messenger. ¿Durin's Bane? Piece of cake.

Key to the Armoury, should need to discard a card to use it, or discard itself. Also is a candidate for a 1per deck limit. Card searching cards have proven too powerfull in every card game, and they should be very limited in their use. They are used not as a wildcard, but as a combo builder.

Forlong's action should be a planning or refresh action. He's too versatile for a cost of 3.

My card:

Meriadoc Brandybuck

Hero. Táctics. Unique.

Threat cost: 8

Willpower: 2

Attack: 1

Defense: 2

HP: 3

Hobbit. Rohan. Warrior.

Combat action: Exhaust Meriadoc Brandybuck to add his defense to another character. If defending character is destroyed, put 1 damage on Meriadoc Brandybuck.

#7 richsabre

richsabre

Tea Drinker of the West

• Members
  • 4,817 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 06:52 AM

looks good- though i really hope we see 'shire merry and pippin' before warrior merry and pippin….one of the few cases i am looking forward to getting two versions if possible. somehow getting the return of the king version first just wouldnt seem right

rich

#8 NotAZombie

NotAZombie

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Here is an idea I had:

Hiding Their Tracks

Quest Event. Spirit. Cost: 3

Secrecy 1

Reveal one extra card from the encounter deck this quest phase (or two if there are three or more players). If the players quest successfully, cancel the progress tokens to reduce each players threat by the number of progress tokens that would have been placed.

#9 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

NotAZombie said:

Here is an idea I had:

Hiding Their Tracks

Quest Event. Spirit. Cost: 3

Secrecy 1

Reveal one extra card from the encounter deck this quest phase (or two if there are three or more players). If the players quest successfully, cancel the progress tokens to reduce each players threat by the number of progress tokens that would have been placed.

I like this idea A LOT!
There is something here, man, for sure. I'll make some cards based on what I saw here.
Lot's of interesting stuff.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

#10 NotAZombie

NotAZombie

• Members
  • 63 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:56 PM

Thanks : ) The balance would probably have to be tested, I was going mostly for flavor : )

#11 Cmdrindie

Cmdrindie

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 07:17 PM

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this has already been posted/conjectured, or if I'm out of turn. This seems like a really cool community, and I'd love to be a part of it, inasmuch as I can :).  

As a general consideration for card creation threads, I've wondered this: Since shadow cards are dealt, revealed during, and affect combat, I'm surprised that the Tactics sphere didn't end up with the shadow card cancelers, e.g. Hasty stroke, since counter-acting a combat advantage would seem to fall firmly within the Tactics realm of influence. Wouldn't that make Tactics a more desirable and thematic sphere for solo/multiplayer deck-building?

Looking at the heroes involved insofar as they represent the spheres themselves, I find it easier to accept that someone like Legolas or Gimli could negate an enemy's combat advantage rather than, say, Frodo or Eowyn as a spirit hero (now… Eowyn as a tactics Hero, goin' all house on a Nazgul…). In fact, that will be my contribution!

Eowyn [Tactics]

Willpower: 3

Attack: 2

Defense: 1

Health: 4

When attacking an enemy whose Engagement Cost is higher than your total threat, Eowyn does not exhaust to attack. Limit once per phase. 

Or, in an attempt to capture her essence in the fields of Pelennor, as an alternative to the one above:

Eowyn [Tactics]

Willpower: 4

When attacking an enemy whose Engagement Cost is higher than your total threat, Eowyn uses her willpower as her attack.

#12 lleimmoen

lleimmoen

• Members
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:36 PM

Welcome to the board!

And I think you are right, Hasty Stroke could have been a good Tactics card. Feint still does a better job though.

There was this discussion before, and not just once, of how Tactics is poor for solo play. Lately I was trying a mono-Tactics deck for coop games, and it has been working rather very well. Then I took it solo on the Passage through Mirkwood, likely the easiest quest out there. I got roasted on the first try and I hardly won on the second, largely due to a proxy of Trained for War. I find it quite extreme that after so many cards have been released, Tactics is still totally clumsy on its own. Just imagine a mono-Spirit deck cruising through such a quest (and many) with say Glorfindel, Frodo, Éowyn on board. I don't think I would lose more than one game out of 100 against the Passage through Mirkwood with such a deck.

#13 cordeirooo

cordeirooo

• Members
  • 290 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:34 PM

Cmdrindie said:

This is my first post, so please forgive me if this has already been posted/conjectured, or if I'm out of turn. This seems like a really cool community, and I'd love to be a part of it, inasmuch as I can :).  

As a general consideration for card creation threads, I've wondered this: Since shadow cards are dealt, revealed during, and affect combat, I'm surprised that the Tactics sphere didn't end up with the shadow card cancelers, e.g. Hasty stroke, since counter-acting a combat advantage would seem to fall firmly within the Tactics realm of influence. Wouldn't that make Tactics a more desirable and thematic sphere for solo/multiplayer deck-building?

Looking at the heroes involved insofar as they represent the spheres themselves, I find it easier to accept that someone like Legolas or Gimli could negate an enemy's combat advantage rather than, say, Frodo or Eowyn as a spirit hero (now… Eowyn as a tactics Hero, goin' all house on a Nazgul…). In fact, that will be my contribution!

Eowyn [Tactics]

Willpower: 3

Attack: 2

When attacking an enemy whose Engagement Cost is higher than your total threat, Eowyn does not exhaust to attack. Limit once per phase. 

Or, in an attempt to capture her essence in the fields of Pelennor, as an alternative to the one above:

Eowyn [Tactics]

Willpower: 4

When attacking an enemy whose Engagement Cost is higher than your total threat, Eowyn uses her willpower as her attack.

Éowyn is my favorite character in Middle-Earth and I feel that you got her spirit (pun intended) pretty well, specially on the second attempt.
Also, welcome.

Zwerg - a brilliant BGG user - recently created a LEGO model of Henneth Annun (hidden Outpost) and uploaded it to LEGO CUUSOO. Simply click on the link below the picture, register with CUUSOO (it's free of charge, and LEGO does not send spam). Then click on the green SUPPORT button.

http://lego.cuusoo.c...deas/view/45646

Zwerg is the guy who made those nice reports with LEGO pieces.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS