Licencing

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 durek_7

durek_7

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:13 AM

I know very little about legalities and stuff like this but…
Does anyone know or can speculate how/if Disney’s buyout of Star Wars will effect the current and future line of X-Wing products? I assume FFG has a certain amount of yrs it can make X-Wing stuff that carried over with the sale?

#2 marcelvdpol

marcelvdpol

• Members
  • 29 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

I think that it will not be a problem. FFG hasn't got the licence for a long time yet, and the sale to Disney would no doubt include any legal rights and obligations on the part of Lucasfilm to any other parties that make use of the Intellectual Property. Disney has the choice either to allow FFG to use the IP as long as the license contracts states OR to revoke the license and pay compensation to FFG for damages caused. In the case of FFG this would be costs made for producing products (including future ones) that use the IP as well as missed revenue's based on those products. Most license contracts have stipulations as to how the contract holder should be compensated. In any case, Disney did not do anything of the sort when they acquired Marvel a couple of years ago and I doubt they would do so now.

Besides this, Intellectual Property like this is valued according to popularity and fan base rather than anything else. Withdrawing licenses only damages popularity and fan base reducing the value of the IP. Look at what happened to IP's that have been quite popular at some point but are currently not in high demand anymore; X-Files for example.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS