• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pizzaboxmonster

Pizzaboxmonster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 08:02 PM

Hi all,

I am new to this game, as well as to any kind of LCG or any card game. I just started playing AGoT with my girlfriend. We are playing Joust mode 1v1. I have noticed that many texts in the cards have multiplayer effects or conditions. We have one serious doubt:

Some cards, like for example Varys, say "If you have more than one opponent, choose an opponent and…". I was wondering if when playing 1v1, this text could be applied to my single opponent. Could I use that effect even if I don't have more than one opponent?

I've noticed that some cards which contain this text are useless when playing 1v1 (I think there was one in which you had to make a third person make a decision), but on other cards it seems to me perfectly possible to apply them on 1v1.

What do you think? Am I wrong, right…? What is the "official" approach on this?

Thanks in advanced for your help :)

#2 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:11 PM

Your post is a little bit confusing because you are using the term 2v2 when you (from what I can gather) really mean 1v1 (one player against one other player, as opposed to two players playing against two other players in a team based multiplayer format). In a 1v1, or, as it's more commonly called, "joust", any card effect that has a play restriction like "If you have more than one opponent" would not be actionable, because you don't have more than one opponent -- that's very self-explanatory, though, so I'm not sure if I'm understanding your question right.

#3 Pizzaboxmonster

Pizzaboxmonster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:16 PM

Sorry, I did mean 1v1 :D oh god >_<

So basically, from what you say, cards like Varys for the Lannisters are completely useless? :(

#4 Saturnine

Saturnine

• Members
  • 1,556 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

Pizzaboxmonster said:

So basically, from what you say, cards like Varys for the Lannisters are completely useless? :(

What I'm saying is that Varys's card ability is not actionable in a joust game. He is still a 3-Strength character with two icons , stealth and a crest for 3 gold, which is very solid.

#5 Pizzaboxmonster

Pizzaboxmonster

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 12:13 AM

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Would people still keep Varys in the deck for a Joust game, or would be better to keep it out and use characters which make a "full use" of their characteristics (with no "if oyu have more than one opponent…") instead?

#6 Ratatoskr

Ratatoskr

• Members
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 01:19 AM

Pizzaboxmonster said:

Ok, thanks for clarifying. Would people still keep Varys in the deck for a Joust game, or would be better to keep it out and use characters which make a "full use" of their characteristics (with no "if oyu have more than one opponent…") instead?

That totally depends on what your playgroup's cardpool looks like. If you only play with Core Set cards, it might make a lot of sense to play with him. The more cards you have to choose from, the more likely it is you'll have better options.

Nobody plays Core Set Varys in current tournament decks, but Mutual Cause has seen play in top level tournament decks as late as Regional Season 2011.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS