100pt Vader vs Luke

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Cpt.HARM

Cpt.HARM

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:22 PM

Popped out to my local club for another game over the weekend. I've been itching to try out a rebel force for the first time so I rolled out Luke and Wedge in their X-Wings, with Horton in his Y-Wing.

I've really enjoyed all my games so far, but I definitely need to read up on the scenarios to spice things up.

http://wargamerontour.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/grudge-match-luke-vs-vader.html

#2 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:54 PM

Love it. I think "Hazell manuever" just might catch on 

I would like to try out more TIE advanced squads, but they're kind of expensive to run. Still, I think Concussion Misiles are much more useful than Proton Torpedoes.

As to your Proton Torpedo musings, I think Wedge with Torps is pretty killer. I used Horton with double torps to good effect in the AFM Vassal tournament, though in one game he failed to get any torpedoes fired off. Fortunately, Wedge had a torpedo to fire as well, and his target rolls one less defense die, which makes the torpedoes pretty deadly. I'd sooner keep the second torp on Horton than give it to Luke.

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#3 Cpt.HARM

Cpt.HARM

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:12 PM

It has certainly caught on at our club, normally followed by much laughter!

Does Wedges ability work on missiles? I thought that pilot abilities did not work on secondary weapons - or do missiles not count as secondaries. Because if Wedges ability works that is a no brainer for me. :)

Cheers

Chris

#4 Parakitor

Parakitor

• Members
  • 996 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 04:30 AM

The key is that his ability doesn't specify "when attacking with a primary weapon." If you'll notice, Howlrunner's card does have that stipulation, so she doesn't allow Vader to reroll one of his attack dice when he's using Concussion Missiles. Since Wedge's ability says nothing about weapons, the target's defense dice are reduced by one against any of his attacks, including Proton Torpedoes. You're absolutely right: once you know that tidbit, it is a no-brainer.

Just curious, does that mean you didn't allow Horton Salm to reroll any blanks when he fired his Proton Torpedoes? To me, that's the best part of Horton. He can really make those Proton Torpedoes stick some damage!

"That starship won't fly, Bastila."

#5 Cpt.HARM

Cpt.HARM

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 06:29 AM

Good point about Horton… I have no idea why I would have thought that his ability worked with missiles and Wedge's did not…. :). Thanks for that, definitely worth putting torpedoes on Wedge for the opening salvo when you are trying to cut down the Imperials numbers!

Cheers

Chris

#6 zjungle

zjungle

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:48 PM

I had a read of your batte and unlucky i know how it feels to be beatn by rebel pliots a qq are those TIE AVD custom built

#7 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 05:33 PM

Parakitor said:

I would like to try out more TIE advanced squads, but they're kind of expensive to run. Still, I think Concussion Misiles are much more useful than Proton Torpedoes.

As to your Proton Torpedo musings, I think Wedge with Torps is pretty killer. I used Horton with double torps to good effect in the AFM Vassal tournament, though in one game he failed to get any torpedoes fired off. Fortunately, Wedge had a torpedo to fire as well, and his target rolls one less defense die, which makes the torpedoes pretty deadly. I'd sooner keep the second torp on Horton than give it to Luke.

Wedge and Salm are probably the only pilots who can pull off torps, but even then…

And now for some Imperial propaganda.  You can run a 5 ship squad with Vader and Steele and play a fairly versatile game….when you also add Squad Leader and Night Beast.  The question your opponent will be asking is, "Is Vader going to take his second action, give it to Steele, or give Night Beast a potential 3rd action?  Of course, this build gives you no missiles,  but it's still a better balance between offense and defense than you'll see with those scummy rebels.  Try two Academy pilots and Marksmanship on Steele. Oh, and shields.

You still have enough ships to focus fire on targets, muck up rebel movement, and be generally scary, too. 8 TIE swarm is a shotgun filled with bees. A build with two Advanceds is more like a game of cat and mouse where the cat constantly evades and the mouse has to blow his focus tokens trying to get hits.

#8 Cpt.HARM

Cpt.HARM

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:25 PM

Yes, Rob has built a pile of ships that he was using for space gaming a while ago. Next time we play I think I'll have to shoot down the shuttle he just finished making.  :)

Chris

#9 Cpt.HARM

Cpt.HARM

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 06:29 PM

qwertyuiop said:

Parakitor said

You still have enough ships to focus fire on targets, muck up rebel movement, and be generally scary, too. 8 TIE swarm is a shotgun filled with bees. A build with two Advanceds is more like a game of cat and mouse where the cat constantly evades and the mouse has to blow his focus tokens trying to get hits.

I really like the sound of that force. With my limited experience it seems that balancing a couple of pricey TIEs (like Vader and Stele) with some numbers sounds like a great list!

Cheers

Chris

#10 zjungle

zjungle

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

Could i be a cheeky SOB and ask what the dimmetons of them custom ships plz if not i understand.

#11 Cpt.HARM

Cpt.HARM

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 18 November 2012 - 06:23 AM

zjungle said:

Could i be a cheeky SOB and ask what the dimmetons of them custom ships plz if not i understand.

1/300. So that makes them a little bit smaller than the FFG ones (which are 1/270).

Chris

#12 zjungle

zjungle

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

thank you hope ya next game goes better

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS