Cersei (AToT) + Queen's Guard in melee

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sabrefox

sabrefox

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:07 PM

Cersei's Response = After you win in I challenge in which Cersei participated, choose and kneel up to X non-Army characters.  X is the number of cards you control in Shadows.

Queen's Guard's passive = After you trigger an effect that kneels an opponent's character, choose and kneel 1 character controlled by a different opponent.

Hypothetical situation:  I am playing a 3 person melee and have both of these cards in play as well as two cards in Shadows.  I win an I challenge with Cersei, and trigger her Response to choose to kneel one character controlled by each opponent. Does Queen's Guard's passive trigger twice here, allowing me to not only double the amount of knelling, but also get around Cersei's limitation of non-Army characters?  I know there is only one trigger, but with two opponents it seems as there are two opportunites for the passive to resolve.

#2 radiskull

radiskull

• Members
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:42 PM

No, because you still only triggered Cersei's ability one time.

#3 ktom

ktom

• Members
  • 7,759 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 02:06 AM

Queen's Guard is activated by triggering the ability, not by the character going from standing to kneeling. So there is only one "passive trigger" in the scenario you describe (activating Cersei's Response), not 2 (kneeling 2 different characters).

#4 Khudzlin

Khudzlin

• Members
  • 1,442 posts

Posted 14 November 2012 - 12:23 AM

But if you were to marshall an Enemy Informer while controlling a Castellan of the Rock and a Queen's Guard, the Queen's Guard's passive would initiate for each of the kneel responses (I know someone who plays this… very annoying) and it would also initiate for a Flogged and Chained, too.

#5 Amuk

Amuk

• Members
  • 267 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 01:10 PM

Khudzlin said:

But if you were to marshall an Enemy Informer while controlling a Castellan of the Rock and a Queen's Guard, the Queen's Guard's passive would initiate for each of the kneel responses (I know someone who plays this… very annoying) and it would also initiate for a Flogged and Chained, too.

I ran that deck in GenCon Melee. Lesson: Don't bring the most annoying deck to Melee, everyone takes you out first.

Cordially,

Amuk

"Life is a tragedy for those who feel & a comedy for those who think." - Jean de la Bruyère

#6 sabrefox

sabrefox

• Members
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 05:38 AM

Yeah, I've found that the two worst things to do in Melee are have cascading kneeling or milling effects.  These will have the other three opponents on your @ss in no time. So if you gonna do it, make sure you can kneel EVERYONE!  :)

#7 Mathias Fricot

Mathias Fricot

• Members
  • 752 posts

Posted 17 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

That was my deck at Days for melee, except I forgot the 3 Flogged and Chained at home so I had to sleeve up three cards right before the tourney lol

#8 Skowza

Skowza

• Members
  • 1,131 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:44 AM

I'm always surprised to see kneel decks in melee; I feel like theres no way you can expect to control the board with them so unless you have a rush deck that uses the kneel to get a few easy challenges you're stuck with a "blackmail" ability.  Course I did take a "super burn" deck to melee @ GenCon so I dont have much room to talk, but at least the burn can protect me a bit better than kneel.

#9 Underworld40k

Underworld40k

• Members
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 10:58 AM

Changes to the restricted list and queens guard have given kneel decks a big boost imo. if its big enough to make it viable is something else.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS