Starter sets on sale at Target this week

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:49 PM

My local Target has starter sets for $30 this week. Target card members save an extra 5%, so they're $28.50. I'm not sure if that is nationwide, but I assume it is. I'm not sure about target.com, but I would think it's on sale there as well. Sales usually end Saturday, and it's in the Toys and Games area. Happy hunting! :)

#2 R5Don4

R5Don4

• Members
  • 368 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:46 PM

That's a great deal.  For anyone who doesn't have at least 3 Core sets, you can't beat that.

Great forum http://www.afewmaneuvers.com/index

Looking for a game in the Greater Toronto Area?  We can hook you up https://www.facebook...ups/6738327518/

#3 LAZ

LAZ

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 01:59 PM

The deal is even a little better than that. I just got back from nabbing my second and third box. They had two stacks, ten high. Marked on sale for $30. At checkout, the checker noticed a target coupon available for an additional $5 off, each, making the subtotal for my two box sets $50 flat. Total savings: 29.98 from suggested retail.

#4 JustinKase

JustinKase

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:05 PM

She gave you the $5 off coupon on both boxes?  Nice :)

#5 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:46 PM

I figured it'd take longer than that - but I also figured they wouldn't move at retail. I… GUESS that's cool. Won't encourage Target to support future gaming products, though. Short-term victory, mebbe long-term loss.

EDIT: Hey, Hothie! Hallo, Justinkase!

#6 LAZ

LAZ

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 02:58 PM

I agree with your sentiment, Iggy. Kind of miffed that my closest FLGS, not three blocks from Target, has been awaiting restock for themselves for a while. Until I saw this thread this evening, I had no idea Target carried it. I suppose the success of the Geek and Sundry Youtube Channel's 'Tabletop' is getting Target to pay attention to such gaming endeavors. Would be nice to see Wil and gang do up a game of X-Wing.

#7 JustinKase

JustinKase

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:04 PM

Then again - maybe if they sell out, they will just learn to discount from the get go.  Also, I have yet to see the expansion packs in any Target.  Just the box sets.

Greetings IG-58 ;)

#8 hothie

hothie

• Members
  • 900 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:14 PM

I haven't seen the expansions there either, although Barnes and Noble has them.

If you are who i think you are, we missed you this weekend.

#9 El_Tonio

El_Tonio

• Members
  • 415 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 04:20 PM

They are also $30 online.

How did you get the $5 coupon?  Was it for this set, or just a general $5 off an item?  Are they generally available?  Would definitely pick up a 4th if it is only $25. 

REBEL: 5 X-Wing  •  3 Y-Wing  •  2 A-Wing  •  3 YT-1300  •  4 B-Wing  •  1 HWK-290  •  7 Z-95 Headhunter  •  2 E-Wing

IMPERIAL: 8 TIE Fighter  •  2 TIE Advanced X1  •  5 TIE Interceptor  • 3 Firespray 31  •  6 TIE Bomber  •  2 Lambda Class Shuttle  •  2 TIE Phantom  •  2 TIE Defender

FIRST PLACE:  2012 Kessel Run (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Amazing Discoveries, Tucson AZ); 2013 Regional (Imperial Outpost, Glendale AZ); 2014 Store Championship (Desert Sky Games, Gilbert AZ); 2014 Assault on Imdaar Alpha (Game Depot, Tempe AZ)

#10 IG-58

IG-58

• Members
  • 367 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:21 PM

hothie said:

I haven't seen the expansions there either, although Barnes and Noble has them.

If you are who i think you are, we missed you this weekend.

Yep, I'm Gordon, AKA "Imperator58." DarthVaughn came up with the IG-58 moniker, which made total sense. ;D we would both have loved to hit the Big Show, but my oldest friend from my first arrival in the 82d Airborne back in 1982 came up all the way from Ft. Wayne, IN for the weekend. Kinda epic.

Tell LadyHothie we got a bitty little Jack Russell to keep Leia company - even SHE might like her!

#11 LAZ

LAZ

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

@El, no idea what the $5 was for. I suspect some kind of $5 off a game purchase or something like that. Getting it for each was a further surprise. I learned long ago in the Army that 1) you don't volunteer for squat and 2) you don't ask questions when things swing to your favor. ;) 

#12 Grape Starburst

Grape Starburst

• Members
  • 74 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 04:39 AM

Wish they'd put up a sale sign or something for it. I looked at them at Target on Sunday and didn't get it.

#13 WarLokk

WarLokk

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:29 AM

I'm trying to figure out what the extra $5 off could have been from as well.  $25 each is a sweet, sweet spot.

#14 WarLokk

WarLokk

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:36 AM

I did find a source that said there was a coupon for this:

-$5/1 Star Wars Toy ($19 or higher) Target Coupon 2012 Toy Book

So maybe X-Wing was counted as a Star Wars toy?

#15 LAZ

LAZ

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 10:50 AM

The checker's response was, "Oh, I have a coupon for this. For each of these actually." and scanned it twice. Feels like he did treat each box as a Star Wars toy that lined up nicely with your finding.

EDIT/ADDITION: The SKU that shows on my receipt is 63400471 for each of the "TARGET COUPON $5.00-" listings

#16 Ismar

Ismar

• Members
  • 111 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 12:24 AM

I can confirm that you can get the $5 off with the additional coupon.  I bought 3 sets last night, and told the cashier I didn't receive the 2012 toy book, and wanted to use the $5 off coupon.  She had the sheet at the register, and rung it up for each copy I bought.  $25 each + tax.

I may go back and buy some more as gifts.

Thanks,

Don

#17 GeekZap

GeekZap

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:57 AM

Amazon has them for $28.45 right now.

#18 ManimalCrackers

ManimalCrackers

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 04:06 AM

Registered here just to tell everyone "thank you" for sharing the info regarding Target's sale.  I've been wanting to play this game, and this gave me a good excuse to go buy two core sets. 

I found the game in the board games & puzzles section, and it was indeed on sale for $30.  The cashier (he was new) didn't know anything about the $5 off coupon, but, after being called over, the manager knew exactly what I was talking about and immediately pulled out a coupon sheet from next to the register.

Bingo, bango, bongo, I'm out the door with two X-Wing core sets for $53.18, total savings of $29.98 over MSRP.

Thanks for the heads-up!

#19 Joshuar56

Joshuar56

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:10 PM

I also picked up 3. After my target card discount and tax they came out to about $25.50.

#20 Tervlon

Tervlon

• Members
  • 153 posts

Posted 15 November 2012 - 02:28 PM

Another happy customer here. X-Wing has been tempting me for months and I thought I'd successfully resisted until I saw news of this sale! $25 is just too good to pass up. I grabbed the two starters with the best looking miniatures (those X-Wing cannons can be aimed in some strange directions…) and asked about the coupons. The cashier had no idea about the scan sheet but when asked the manager very helpfully, and happily I might add, furnished the scan sheet. She asked if I worked at Target because I knew about the sheet but I said I just heard about the coupons from some friends. No problems at all. Many thanks, gentlemen! The starters may end up being my Christmas present, but we'll see if I can convince my wife to buy me the expansions too…

If you are sitting on the fence, buy them and just don't open them for awhile. If you change your mind you can return them, if not you just scored a great deal and don't have to worry about shipping. Tell your wife it's Black Friday for what you really want, just a week early. :)

Now, who is in Northern Virginia and wants to teach me how to play?

Nova Squadron Member 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS