First review on BGG

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 09:11 AM

Well, here it is. The very first review.

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/883230/star-wars-lcg-ive-got-a-bad-feeling-about-this

It is, as all such things, highly subjective. I'm hoping to see more reviews (and positive ones) in the future.  

#2 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:07 AM

Yeah, it's a bit disappointing to see the first review be a negative one, but I'm also not that worried about it. It doesn't really do much to dampen my enthusiasm for the game; I'm just as eager to get my hands on it.

It sounds like Brady was already fairly skeptical of the game going in, and it wasn't able to win him over. I think all of his criticisms of the game are fairly reasonable (although "not feeling Star Wars-y enough" is incredibly subjective), but they're not really issues that bother me so much. Several of his major complaints seem like they would be addressed over time, either by becoming more adept at the game or from the card-pool expanding; Egde Battles will probably become less chaotic once players have a better sense of just how much they can afford to commit, and if a player has too much momentum, that just calls for a reset, which I know the core set has at least one of, and hopefully more. It's interesting that the objective set-based deckbuilding doesn't come up at all though, as that's definitely one of the most common criticisms.

I haven't played the game, so take this with a grain of salt, but I've been following the game very closely for the last few months. I wasn't able to attend GenCon, but several of my friends did, and all of them absolutely loved the demo they played. Everything I've seen coming from the demos at GenCon and Worlds have looked great to me, the previews FFG's been putting out sound fantastic. I get why a lot of people are wary of the game, but I don't really see any major causes for concern in how the game has shaped up, so I fully anticipate that I will enjoy it once it's in my hands.

I don't think this will be FFG's most successful LCG, at least among the sort of hardcore hobbyists. For that group, which I imagine all of us here probably identify with to some degree, Netrunner seems to have been the runaway success. Rightfully so, I might add, as that game is definitely fantastic. In some ways, the Star Wars license might work both for and against FFG here. Outside the hobbyist sphere, I think this game is absolutely poised to be a big deal for FFG; even with A Game of Thrones being a very hot commodity in recent years, it's nothing compared to the Star Wars license, and that's going to draw people in. It also means that a lot more people are paying attention to the game, and not everyone will like what they see. This might very well be the best-selling LCG, but it will have its share of detractors.

#3 AshesFall

AshesFall

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:21 AM

I very much agree with you here alpha, on almost all points so I wont echo them again :). One thing I did react to in the review was that he had heard bad things about the art, and that he found it just ok, with some cards looking nice. I personally think the art is seriously awesome. 

#4 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

He complained about not drawing a main character… that happened.   And edge battles feel… random. That happened. I want to play this kid in poker.

#5 spalanzani

spalanzani

• Members
  • 813 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:31 AM

Reading the review over on BGG, and in particular some of the comments thereafter, I actually got quite annoyed at the negativity. It seems, like alpha5099 suggests, that these people aren't expecting to like the game, and so they end up not liking it. Nothing really surprising there, after all. 

Honestly, I expected not to like this game, as I was looking forward so much to the co-op game from 2011, but I'm finding myself increasingly excited as we get closer to release. Maybe because I want to like the game, I will? Certainly, nothing I have seen so far - including this review - has turned me off. 

www.spalanz.com - everything you never wanted to know about me, in one place.

#6 Budgernaut

Budgernaut

The Uncanny One

• Members
  • 1,626 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 11:34 AM

spalanzani said:

Reading the review over on BGG, and in particular some of the comments thereafter, I actually got quite annoyed at the negativity. It seems, like alpha5099 suggests, that these people aren't expecting to like the game, and so they end up not liking it. Nothing really surprising there, after all. 

Honestly, I expected not to like this game, as I was looking forward so much to the co-op game from 2011, but I'm finding myself increasingly excited as we get closer to release. Maybe because I want to like the game, I will? Certainly, nothing I have seen so far - including this review - has turned me off. 

I'm right with you on that one!

"There is a fine line between neutral and amoral. In fact, there may be no line there at all."

--Count Dooku

#7 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:03 PM

spalanzani said:

That pretty much sums up BGG. I really don't like that site or the people on it at all and only go on it from time to time.

Same thing with Android: Netrunner, bunch of them whined that it was not just like Netrunner, a game that died like 13 years ago. Get over it.

If you expect to hate it , you will. Go in with an open mind.

#8 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

AshesFall said:

I very much agree with you here alpha, on almost all points so I wont echo them again :). One thing I did react to in the review was that he had heard bad things about the art, and that he found it just ok, with some cards looking nice. I personally think the art is seriously awesome. 

I was surprised by the lukewarm reception to the art as well. Most of the feedback I've been hearing about the art (and admittedly, the forums for this game can sometimes be a bit of an echo chamber of people excited for the game, so there's no doubt criticism out there that I haven't seen) has been extremely positive. All of the art I've seen so far has been fantastic. Compare that to AGOT, where there are a handful of just beautiful cards, but also a whole hell of a lot of just plain ugly art.

#9 MarthWMaster

MarthWMaster

• Members
  • 1,255 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

You've gotta have great art in order for a game like this to work. After all, if a card's artwork wins you over to the point that you want it in your deck, you have to take five other cards along with it. It would be a very negative experience if any of those cards had ugly art.

#10 mnBroncos

mnBroncos

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:16 PM

very short review, this game is very fun, great art theme and game machanics. The only complaint have is it seems to be all about who gets there strong charactors. I have only played few games with my brother so maybe once we figure out better strategies will change but right off the back, just getting to draw into ur key cards is much bigger in this game then the other ffg card games have played. 

#11 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

MarthWMaster said:

You've gotta have great art in order for a game like this to work. After all, if a card's artwork wins you over to the point that you want it in your deck, you have to take five other cards along with it. It would be a very negative experience if any of those cards had ugly art.

See also, Wyvern the CCG….

#12 Toqtamish

Toqtamish

Toqtamish

• Members
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:04 AM

mnBroncos said:

The only complaint have is it seems to be all about who gets there strong charactors. I have only played few games with my brother so maybe once we figure out better strategies will change but right off the back, just getting to draw into ur key cards is much bigger in this game then the other ffg card games have played. 

You can say that about many if not all card games. WoW TCG is very much about getting out powerful characters. A lot of my AGoT decks revolve around key characters like Melisandre in my Asshai deck or Robb Stark in my Army deck. So I don't really see that as a problem or a complaint.

#13 mnBroncos

mnBroncos

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 09:49 AM

reason to me why its a complaint is how the deck building works (not the deck building is a negitive i love how its something different) but lets say you want luke, even with two core sets so can have two in ur deck your also putting the crapy cards that come with him. So unlike other games where can build around the key guys, if you want more of the key guys gotta deal with what comes with him as well.  However, its still very very new and will take awhile of playing to see how it goes, also characters don't have much health so do have to be protective of your powerful characters as well.

#14 alpha5099

alpha5099

• Members
  • 560 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 03:06 PM

mnBroncos said:

reason to me why its a complaint is how the deck building works (not the deck building is a negitive i love how its something different) but lets say you want luke, even with two core sets so can have two in ur deck your also putting the crapy cards that come with him. So unlike other games where can build around the key guys, if you want more of the key guys gotta deal with what comes with him as well.  However, its still very very new and will take awhile of playing to see how it goes, also characters don't have much health so do have to be protective of your powerful characters as well.

That's certainly fair. But we'll see more versions of the major characters, so you could theoretically run multiple Luke or Vader pods once the card pool expands. And as we get more cards, we'll probably also find pods that synergize well when you're building uber-character decks. Cards that help you get Luke out faster, or protect him from your opponents effects, or have key enhancements that will help you push through challenges with your unstoppable Super Luke.

I also don't think that's it's necessarily a strike against the game if it all just comes down to the same dozen or so characters all the time. That's something I really love about AGOT, that you're completely free to build decks that aren't just about the core characters. Some houses lend themselves well to a core group of unique characters (Baratheon being the best example; the majority of Bara decks usually revolve around either some combination of the Baratheon brothers, or Melisandre and her Asshai acolytes), but there are plenty of decks that don't. You can build a great Stark deck that doesn't include any of the Stark family, or a Targ deck without Dany or Drogo or the dragons.

I can certainly understand the appeal of kicking ass with the characters you know and love, but I'd be more concerned if every game came down to a showdown between Luke and Vader or Han and Boba Fett.

#15 qwertyuiop

qwertyuiop

• Members
  • 815 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:06 PM

mnBroncos said:

Try playing a jawa deck in SW CCG ;)

#16 mnBroncos

mnBroncos

• Members
  • 134 posts

Posted 13 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

yes i agree that this could be something that changes, and also could just be the new to the game and not utiliesing characters right haha i do believe playing to agressive and not leaving enough for defense. So this was my very rough first impression. Like agot if playing martell i can win without getting a single unquie player but lets say playing sith vs jedi if the sith gets out vader and his light saber and i dont get like luke or yoda going to be very hard to come back. But do believe will change once more use to the game. And i love that both sides have different goals on how to win. 

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS