Photo

is there a limit to how many spells can be cast in one turn with the Magic Wand?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Corgibuttz

Corgibuttz

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 05:40 AM

Hello there!!   I bought Talisman last night, and my 3 friends and I played it for the first time last night.  We really had a good time, but I have a question about casting spells with the magic wand.  My friend was casting like 4 spells in a turn with the wand. 

One of my friends is about to roll to move,

*casts immobalize*

*draws a spell*

*casts Random*

*draws a spell*

*casts random*  (ugh, we should have shuffled better ;)

*draws a spell*

Is this how the magic wand is meant to be used?  I couldn't find anything in the rule book that says this can't be done, but it seemed a little over powered to me, and I thought I would check w/ the pros to find out.  Thanks in advance for any help!!

-Tyler

#2 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:11 AM

'The maximum number of Spells a character may cast during his turn is equal to the number of Spells he had at the start of that turn. A character may only cast one Spell during another character’s turn. This does not apply to the Command Spell, however (see “The Crown of Command” on page 20).'

That is from page 13 of the rulebook. In your example, the player could have only cast 1 Spell that turn and a Spell must have an effect to be able to cast it. e.g. you can't cast Healing on a character with their full life value.

Ell.

#3 Corgibuttz

Corgibuttz

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 November 2012 - 06:21 AM

Thanks so much man!!  It's my bad for missing it in the rule book (we were drinking a fair amount of beers).  

I appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me with a rule I missed due to careless reading.  

#4 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 09:55 AM

'The maximum number of Spells a character may cast during his turn is equal to the number of Spells he had at the start of that turn. A character may only cast one Spell during another character’s turn. This does not apply to the Command Spell, however (see “The Crown of Command” on page 20).'
That is from page 13 of the rulebook. In your example, the player could have only cast 1 Spell that turn and a Spell must have an effect to be able to cast it. e.g. you can't cast Healing on a character with their full life value.
Ell.

I was looking this up in the rulebook after I read a post on a house rules thread.
In the past, me and my friends didn't cast any spells we gained until our next turns (a la Prologue) but the rulebook does not specifically state this.
Therefore, if you start with one spell (i.e. Healing) and gain another spell (i.e. Mesmerism), can you choose to cast the new spell (Mesmerism) but not be able to cast the spell you had at the start of your turn (Healing)?
Or can you only cast the one you had at the start of your turn (Healing)?

#5 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:05 AM

Therefore, if you start with one spell (i.e. Healing) and gain another spell (i.e. Mesmerism), can you choose to cast the new spell (Mesmerism) but not be able to cast the spell you had at the start of your turn (Healing)?

This one. :)

#6 talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat

Talisman Veteran

• Members
  • 1,302 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 10:15 AM

If you have a Healing Spell at the start of your turn and you gain the Mesmerism Spell during your turn, you are only able to cast the Healing Spell as long as a character has lost a life (Mesmerism may only be cast at the start of your turn, before you move).

#7 The_Warlock

The_Warlock

• Members
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

If you have a Healing Spell at the start of your turn and you gain the Mesmerism Spell during your turn, you are only able to cast the Healing Spell as long as a character has lost a life (Mesmerism may only be cast at the start of your turn, before you move).

Yes, this is correct according to the example, or if you're using Black Industries edition (Mesmerism was "cast as required" in that edition).

If you acquire a Spell during your turn, you may cast it (if casting conditions are met), provided that the total number of Spells cast during the turn doesn't exceed the number of Spells you started the turn with.

Edited by The_Warlock, 04 April 2014 - 11:05 AM.

#8 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:19 PM

Thanks.
Healing and Mesmerism were the first two spells that came to my mind when I was thinking what examples to use.
At least I now know what can be done in future seshes as this tactic could give one an advantage.

#9 The Hunter

The Hunter

• Members
  • 118 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:25 PM

Just had another thought.
Concerning characters that can gain spells at the start of their turn, such as the Sage and Warlock, can they cast any spells they gain at the start of their turn during the same turn?
Or must they wait until their next turn, or any other players' turns before that if conditions are met?

#10 Dam

Dam

• Members
  • 7,290 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 12:41 AM

"Sage

Q: If the Sage gains a Spell at the start of his turn, can he
cast that Spell during the same turn?
A: Yes." (FAQ, p. 6)

"A dirty mind is its own reward."

#11 Rigmaster

Rigmaster

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 02:42 AM

The sage has been written like that to prevent it from gaining and casting spells during other players turns like the wizard, but thaht might be stating the obvious.

© 2013 Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc. Fantasy Flight Games and the FFG logo are ® of Fantasy Flight Publishing, Inc.  All rights reserved.
Privacy Policy | Terms of Use | Contact | User Support | Rules Questions | Help | RSS